Oil leak from rear of engine

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Black B15

I have a mystery oil leak, and I am thinking it is coming from the rear of the motor as that is the only place I cannot see.

Just wanted to see if there was any well known issues that I should be looking for here.

I did see a few folks having an issue with the oil cooler o ring at the rear of the engine?

Just thought I would check here first to see if I could save myself some time.

Thanks all!

Edit: I just found a YouTube video of a guy who had the entire oil cooler pulled out, and this certainly appears to be the issue. I can’t get under the car at the moment, but that oil pressure sending unit is wet with oil splatter, yet doesn’t seem to be leaking itself. I am thinking it must be that oil cooler gasket leaking above the sending unit.

Next question: How hard is it to change out? I have done rack and pinion replacements, full suspension upgrades, full exhaust changes, etc...so I assume this is doable too.

Please let me know your thoughts.

worldbikr
Car: na

I had an oil cooler oring leak in my 2008. Had fixed long ago. I'm at 307k now and just burn a little oil.

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

Black B15

It was definitely the oil cooler. Got it out and taken apart, cleaned up, and changed out the gaskets and within 2 days it was dripping again.

Got under there again with the engine running and it is leaking from between the upper and lower “plates” of the oil cooler.

So, ordered a new oil cooler and when I got it, it was clearly used (guessing someone returned a used one as new)....so now I get to wait on a replacement coming out.

I must have hit something because in a matter of 3 months I had my oil drain plug work loose and was dripping, a boot on my right side CV axle ripped and now this oil cooler anting like a fool. All of these things are within about 12 inches of each other.

Return to “Rogue Forum”