OIL FILTERS

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Just wanted to share this. I have my oil and filter changed at the dealer. I have no idea who makes the Nissan / Infiniti branded filters. I use the dealer to ensure I have an unimpeachable record of maintenance for my warranty and I like that the techs will inspect tires, battery, brakes, etc. What surprises me the most was the difference in quality between these brands. When I visit the auto parts shop to grab some microfiber towels and such, I see the huge wall of Fram filters and if I was to do my own oil change, I'd buy one thinking 'a filter is a filter. is a filter'. I had no idea what total crap this brand is until now. I used to buy air filters at this shop but now buy the OEM filters (hoping Fram does NOT make Infiniti / Nissan air filters).

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Unless they have changed lines again the O'reilly filters (Microgard) are Fram as well, they went to them while I was there and oh, the retraining to teach us how to counter factual info like that video shows.........

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

F**** me. I have been a fram guy all my life.
I think one piece of information missing from this great comparison video is the fact that fram has several grades of filters (like Napa) and the one used was the lowest. I am not surprised that Napa gold which is the highest model is superior to the lowest model of fram. Nevertheless, the fram junk showed shall not be allowed to be even sold.
Thanks for sharing Larz.

EDIT: Napa gold isn’t actually the highest one, there’s also platinum but I believe tha fram one was the lowest level made.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I was shocked tooi! I found this vid about Nissan / Infiniti branded filters. From what I have been able to find, they are apparently manufactured by Denso (who also make power steering fluid for our cars. These filters are actually constructed in Mexico.

I buy Mobil-1 and take a jug to the dealer for each change, letting them provide the filter and washer. I'm now on a quest to see if I can find the brand most experts consider best for oil filters, and see if they make one compatible with my 3.5HR engine.

LIBRILZ
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx
2007 M45 Sport

Grupo Gohner (they are based out of mexico) actually makes most of the Nissan filters, they are quality filters from what I've read on bobistheoilguy, FWIW I have run them for years without any problems. If you see any filters that say made in japan, those are sourced from Union Sangyo

bicsintegra
Car: '06 Infiniti M35
'06 Infiniti G35 coupe
'11 Ford F-150 FX4
'13 Ford Edge Sport

I used to use fram filters back in college because they were the cheapest, I use mobil 1 filters for my infiniti and motorcraft for my F-150 truck and my wife's Edge. Very eye opening but I never had a problem when I used them.

whitewolfdog74
Car: 2006 infiniti m35 crimson roulette/wheat/journey pkg

I use either purolator or mobile 1 filters and German castrol.

Chunjee
Car: Infiniti M45

I have a handful of Bosch filters because they were $2 or something. I prefer Purolator in general (quick tip BI-Mart carries only this brand on the shelf)
I don't believe oil filter quality varies much in general; the filter material is mostly the same and most "oil filter competitions" on youtube seem to be won by the filter with the longest unfolded material. If I'm changing the filter every time I change the oil; then I don't care too much about an extra few inches. I'll probably never use a basic fram filter though.

Don't neglect the other filters in your car.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”