oil cooler

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
special_K

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone has installed an external oil cooler on a ka24de. If so was it difficult? How much? I know that you need to get an adjustable thermostat because the oil is supposed to be a a certain temp. Any suggestions? I tried searching but could not find anything. Any help would be great, thanks.

dorifkin

It should be very simple. I've installed a couple of transmission coolers on GM's and the difference between the two is the sandwich to re-route the oil to the oil cooler. If any thing it should be more professional. Also there is no way you could even tie in the thermostat with the cooler unless you have a fan on it. But even then are you going to be beating on this engine hard? Cuz you probably dont need it if you use good oil and dont drive hard all the time. Of course if your boosting or the like then you should use it def.

special_K

Why would you not be able to use a thermostat? You need one becasue the oil has to be a certain temperature to do its job. Check out this guys set up, its on a camero or something but it looks like he did a really good job. http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/oilcooler.htmlDoes anyone make a remote oil filter set up for the 240. That is the only place i can think of tapping into for the oil cooler lines?

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

Tuners with S15s like to route the oil cooler on the passanger (driver on a Jap car) side bumper hole. If you dont plan to go turbo then getting a large oil cooler may not be the best idea at the moment.

special_K

Im only looking for a medium sized oil cooler, nothing gigantic. Also, any car can benefit from having an oil cooler, not just turbo charged applications. Correct me if im wrong but the crankshaft, mainbearings, etc... don't have coolant lines running through them so the rely strictly on the engine oil to cool them. I just want one for reliabilty purposes, to help extend engine life.

Top Speed Coupe
Car: Cars

i got 2 Mazda RX-7 oil coolers and a Mazda Factory Racing Oil cooler. I'd love to use one on my KA. Does any company make an Oil Filter Adapter?

klattr1
Car: GT42R powered S14/KA

pdm-racing.com sells a sandwich adapter between block and oil filter. its in their miscellaneous items i think?

Top Speed Coupe
Car: Cars

Sweet man thanks a lot...

special_K

Hey once the oil cooler is installed would it affect the oil pressure at all? Would the stock oil pump be able to handle an oil cooler and keep everything flowing properly? How good is the stock oil pump?

george
Car: autocross

you dont need an oil cooler man can wont over heat and the oil wont degrade any quicker, stop wasting your money

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

I think...Oil coolers bennifit the following cars:1.those with OIL COOLED TURBO UNITS. because, duh, the oil is getting heated far more than usuall, thusly may have problems with degradation and temperature.2. THose running cars under constant high RPMS for long periods of time, such as 2 hour or longer endurance racing, or races in very hot climates.

otherwise, its just a little add on to make you feel safer. I drove my 300ZX at road atlanta for 2 hours straight with a oil temp meter, and it didnt change much after initial warm up. I think of more importance for reliability is a good coolant system for overall engine temp(this goes up when road racing far more than oil temp), and if you rebuild the engine, getting a better oil delivery system(upgraded pump, engine bearings with oil notches, dry sump system if possible).

transmission coolers are nice, but really only of great bennifit under the same circumstances, and for automatics.

just my .02-chet

Boostedka
Car: sex, and turbo charging rides

An oil cooler would help with over driveability, you can use a greddy,HKS, or even biltz. The tread pitch on the oil filter is the same. May need custom length lines though.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”