Oil Cooler O Ring Still Leaking After Being Changed

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Well, after watching several Youtube videos, reading through some posts on here and the interwebs, I replaced the o ring on the oil cooler.
Pretty simple to do actually. Takes longer to pull the lower tray and drain the oil than the task of changing that o ring.
Even put a thin coat of oil around the o ring like all the videos showed.

After it was changed, new oil and filter put in/on and with the lower tray still off I started it and let it sit and idle for about 10 minutes and I didn't see any leaks.
Put the beat to hell tray back on with all the screws I still had left (a few missing at the time of purchase) and got her off the jack stands.

Took it up the road to the convenience store to grab a soda.
No leaks that were visible under the car after backing out of my parking space and checking.
Get her home and back her into the garage and take a look...the leak is still there.
Very small dribble visible and it looks like it's coming from the back side of the cooler where that damned o ring is.
And, yes...I did clean both mating surfaces as best I could making sure the adapter plate side was good and also making sure there was no grime in the groove on the cooler.

If they don't get torqued tight enough or too tight will it still leak? It's supposed to be tightened to 36 fl/tb from what I've read and seen in the videos but I couldn't get my hands on a ft/lb torque wrench that went that low so resorted to an in/lb. If my math is correct, and the conversion of 1 ft/lb to 12 in/lb is right, i'd be at 432 inch pounds.

Maybe I didn't have the torque set right...who knows.

Anyone else have this issue right after changing that o ring??

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Ok...So maybe I got a bit premature in my speculation of oil still leaking from the oil cooler.

I let the car sit overnight in the garage with a piece of cardboard underneath it after finding some oil on the bottom of the oil cooler.
After about 36 hours of sitting, not one single drop on the cardboard.

Took it for a drive down to my parents house (an hour each way) and parked in their garage.
Let it sit for about 45 minutes and went out and took a look.

There was some puddling underneath the car in that general area but after getting up on jack stands right quick and looking, I don't see any leaking.
There was no contaminates in the puddled water on the floor. No odor, no smell, no sheen, no viscosity. Was most likely just some melted snow/ice from the roads.

Seems to me the o ring seal swap was a success.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”