oil change....

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
Johniboi
Car: Versa

I gotta family friend who changed my oil for me back when my car had 3000 miles on it, and he told me that the oil that i bought was soo good it could last me up to 9000 milees. I forgot the name of the oil but it was from autozone-and now my car is at 6000 miles already and i wanna trust him but is that actually possible?

Modified by Johniboi at 9:54 AM 7/17/2008

repind39

Johniboi wrote:I gotta family friend who changed my oil for me back when my car had 3000 miles on it, and he told me that the oil that i bought was soo good it could last me up to 9000 milees. I forgot the name of the oil but it was from autozone-and now my car is at 6000 miles already and i wanna trust him but is that actually possible?
It was probably synthetic oil which is good for around 10k miles... make sure you stick with synthetic from here on out though.

rockinS13

yeah it was syn oil. you can but i would say don't run it for 9k thats more of a u can do it if you want thing. most syn oil you can buy from auto part stores are not "full" syn tho they say it on the bottle. there a class 3 syn oil still not bad oil. you can learn a lot about oil and filters from AMSOILS emails and website think they have a set up for 15 to 25k oil chang.hope this helped lata.

http://www.amsoil.com/

Johniboi
Car: Versa

[QUOTE=XterraVersa]Why must you post this picture in every post?????????? There is a reason some of us hide the signatures.QUOTE]

uhh no offense xterraversa, but i dnt care if people hide their sigs or not, i decided to show mine soooooooo deal with it i guess.

"make sure you stick with synthetic from here on out though."

so from now on i can only put in synthetic oil in the car? why is that?by the way the versa uses 5w-30 right??

Modified by Johniboi at 6:50 PM 7/16/2008

sooner4x4
Car: 2007 Versa S sedan

Johniboi wrote:I gotta family friend who changed my oil for me back when my car had 3000 miles on it, and he told me that the oil that i bought was soo good it could last me up to 9000 milees. I forgot the name of the oil but it was from autozone-and now my car is at 6000 miles already and i wanna trust him but is that actually possible?
Do you mean it would last until 9000 miles showing on the odometer, meaning the oil would be in the engine for 6000 miles? Or did you mean the oil would last 9000 miles before the next oil change?

While the car is under warranty, it is best to use an oil change interval within the miles defined in the maintenance book that came with the car. Therefore anything less than 7500 miles between oil changes would be sufficient to maintain your warranty. You can search through the theads and find tons of opinions on how often someone should change their oil.In other words; there is no absolute right or wrong on this issue.

my_new_v
Car: 2008 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner

My friend bought a 94 civic about 4 months ago with 146k miles on itand we went to change the oil on it. The guy that owned it before ran regular oil in it and my friend wanted to switch it to synthetic. Once we changed it the car started acting really bad and a couple seals went. My dad noticed what was going on and asked us what we were doing so we told him about the whole oil thing and he said that it was bad for the car because it basically ran off of something so long and then out of no where there was a change. He went into way more detail about it because he knows alot about cars but I cant remember everything word for word.

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

Out of courtesy and respect for others, at least put the picture inside of your signature and allow those of us who don't want to waste a lot of screen space and scrolling to hide your "picture". When you use it every single post it's repetitive, boring, and a waste to many of us.

If you insst we see that graphic every single post, please put it over on the left as your avatar instead.

hiimjered
Car: '08 SL CVT

Switching to synthetic can cause major problems in high-mileage cars. It is best to keep using what has been used on it, or switch to a heavier weight high-mileage blend.

The same is true of automatic transmission fluid. If the changes haven't been done by the book, it is risky to change it after it has accumulated a lot of miles.

my_new_v
Car: 2008 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner

Come on guys, this is a thread about an oil change, not about him. So lets keep it like that, if you want to start a thread about pictures/sigs then go make one.

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

Looks like it's done, anyway. Thanks, Johnniboi.

To date I've just done the oil changes on the Versa at the recommended intervals, but when I ran synthetic oil in the Civic I used to drain the oil, see how clean it was and only change the filter every 3,000 miles. I'd put the oil back in, adding enough new synthetic to replace what came out in the filter. The car is over 200,000 miles without any engine problems whatsoever, with full oil changes every third filter change (9,000 miles).

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”