Oil change interval question.

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Jehangir
Car: 1992 Infiniti Q45A

So here is my question. I only drive about 5K a year. I know this sounds really sad and pathetic, but it still remains true. My question is why do mechanics ask you to come back in three months for another oil change regardless of how many miles you have driven. I would seem that if I chose to use a synthetic oil it should be good for atleast for the 3700 miles infiniti says to change the oil. What do ya'all think?

RobertsnewQ

I think it says something like "3700 miles or 3 months"

Water condenses in the oil if it sits and you should change it on general principles. Same for other scheduled maintenance.

Garages kill.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

indeed... IMHO, if you know your not going to drive the car much in 3 months, or if your going to drive the car 3500 miles or so in a very short period (say less than 2.5 months) then id stick with dino oil...

nuQ
Car: 2003 M45.
2009 Dodge Caliber SXT

Jehangir wrote:So here is my question. I only drive about 5K a year. I know this sounds really sad and pathetic, but it still remains true. My question is why do mechanics ask you to come back in three months for another oil change regardless of how many miles you have driven. I would seem that if I chose to use a synthetic oil it should be good for atleast for the 3700 miles infiniti says to change the oil. What do ya'all think?
I'm in the same boat as you,,,never put more than 6 or 7K a year on my Q (i have a work vehicle and a bmw 325is manual). since i've owned the Q i've only used mobil 1 0w-40 with a mobil 1 filter. i've been changing religously every 3 months, spending between 35 & 40 bucks for the oil and filter plus 16+ for the change. dumping the mobil 1 for me is like an addict quitting heroin!!! I'm slowly weaning myself though,,,,just bought 6 quarts of durablend 10w40 ( a synthblend yes, but recommended by fred with excellent detergents) but will continue to use a good filter, like mobil 1. I'll eventually switch to an all dino oil as long as my same mileage is driven. just doesn't make sense to put in such an expensive oil for such little driving (plus I never drive without letting it warm up first). I think as long as the oil is clean (and the filter is too), and you're not really doing any crazy driving, i.e. autocross, drag racing eclipses, line locks, etc.,,,dino oil changed 2 to 4 times a year with minimal mileage put on the engine is adequate at the worst!

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”