Oil Catch Can

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
Kansei240sx
Car: S13 - RB25 Circuit car
71 240z - street/track day car
AE86 - Daily Drizzle/track day car
Z31t - Paper weight/street car

Yes i searched and i came up dry.

The question is.....

i have this catch can ( see below )

There are two are the two nipples on the top, and one on the bottom, should i run both crank case vent nipples to the two on the top and then drain the bottom one out to the bottom of the engine bay.... or should i recirculated it into the intake, or is there a completely different way of doing this. I was thinking the best place to mount this thing is where cruise controll goes in an s13 but, since i never had cruise controll the space is open. Thanks.

Imissmyturbo
Car: Car's, Turbo's, sking

It wouldn't be much of a "catchcan" if you did that. lol

What I have red on SDU boards is that there are 3 ways to run it

open

50% plumb back

100% plumb back

Here is a link. Figure out which one you want to do.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.c...st=20

BoostFab
Car: S13cp, S13fb, S14z

i have ran that same catch can on my last rb; but i modified it slightly--added a filter on top.

block up the bottom port, it's for draining the oil.

two ways to run the catch can setup:

1) the top two ports: one port on the catch can go to the two outlets on your valve cover and the the 2nd port on the catch connect to the turbo's inlet pipe AFTER the maf.

2) run both top ports on the catch can to each ports on both valve covers, and you MUST incorporate an extra opening to ventilate the catch can so that your engine can breath. this is important, as oil vapors can build up pressure and can destroy your turbo. i learned the hard way back then.

i ran my setup base on the 2nd method above.
Modified by BoostsFed at 12:27 AM 1/30/2006

Valley
Car: 00 celica gt-s 89 240sx hatch

that engine bay is sexy!

BoostFab

thanks..i sold that car long time ago...i'm building something better now.

Kansei240sx

BoostsFed wrote:i have ran that same catch can on my last rb; but i modified it slightly--added a filter on top.

block up the bottom port, it's for draining the oil.

two ways to run the catch can setup:

1) the top two ports: one port on the catch can go to the two outlets on your valve cover and the the 2nd port on the catch connect to the turbo's inlet pipe before the maf.

2) run both top ports on the catch can to each ports on both valve covers, and you MUST incorporate an extra opening to ventilate the catch can so that your engine can breath. this is important, as oil vapors can build up pressure and can destroy your turbo. i learned the hard way back then.

i ran my setup base on the 2nd method above.
So if the oil has no place to drain, i assume the vapors or what oil remains just stays in the can?

BoostFab

the catch can must be ventilated while the motor is running, see the small filter i have at the top of the catch can. you dont have to add the small breather filter, you can just run a hose to the turbo inlet before the maf to one of the port at the top of the catch can. the oil will be collected in the catch can, you will need to drain it once in a while....more often if you have major blow-by.

Kansei240sx

ok, thanks alot man, It helped me out alot. Later.

BoostFab

this is a picture of the 1st senario that i said above

Kansei240sx

LOL , Thats awesome.

Darius
Car: RB25DET S14 - 665 WHP (SOLD)

Not to dig up an old thread, but I thought my questions would fit in well with this thread for future reference.

I'm looking to buy a catch can and have heard about baffling and/or adding steel wool to physically remove oil from the air by giving the heavier particles something to stick to. Do they all have internal baffling and if not, how does one tell? Does anybody know of any brand name cans that work better than others?

On a side note, how do the fittings come out of the tops of the valve covers? Do they just screw out or are they pressed in?

Cpt_Impossible
Car: G35 6MT

Road Race Engineering sells this kit for $49. My friend has one and it seems to work very well. Most of the catch cans you will find arent internally baffled. This one isn't but I too have read that stuffing a chore boy or steel wool inside (like a crack pipe) will hellp keep the oil where it belongs.

http://roadraceengineering.com/eclengine.htm

Cpt_Impossible
Car: G35 6MT

I painted my friends for him, heres a better pic

Darius
Car: RB25DET S14 - 665 WHP (SOLD)

LMAO! That thing looks like R2D2 with a boner

What are the advantages or disadvantages to routing the breather filter connection back to the intake downstream of the MAF? Seems like it would pull air from the crankcase better (if that even matters)?

ADVAN

Sup, this is for BoostsFed, I was wondering what Turbo manifold is that on your car?, thanks

l0nestar
Car: 1993 250sx, 2004 Altezza, 1963 Impala SS

I was as well since it is clearly _not_ visible... and the turbo is so high up. Is it a custom piece?

BoostFab

ADVAN wrote:Sup, this is for BoostsFed, I was wondering what Turbo manifold is that on your car?, thanks
it's a custom top-mount adapter i built that bolts up to the stock manifold. i plan to build some more, let me know if you want one.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”