Oil Capacity

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I just personally changed my oil and followed the great advice and technique provided by Beagle_Hauler. He suggested 4.5 QTs without an oil filter change and 4-7/8 QTs with an oil filter change.

Before I changed my oil I checked the oil level which was last done by the dealer. It was exactly in the middle between L and H. So I eventually changed my oil and pour approximately 4-7/8 QTs with a new LONGER filter and after checking the oil dipstick, it was exactly between the L and H just like the dealer which made me happy.

Anyways, out of curiosity I happen to check out the 2009 Rogue specifications and found the Rogue had 5.1 QTs oil capacity.

http://nissanrogue.org/download/2009_Rogue_Specs.pdf

Back in the day when I changed my Nissan Maxima I followed the similiar 4.5 and 4-7/8 fill-up because that what the manual said. My question is, are we suppose to really put 5.1 QTs because that is the actual stated oil capacity? Then in that case I would have poured the whole jug in and still needed an additional .1 quarts.

Also, since my level is in the middle there would still be room for more oil. Which I understand since the dealer would probably would not mind using cost cutting measures and not do EXACTLY 5.1 QTs.

I just feel there is some difference when being told not to use the whole 5 QT jug or needing to use the whole jug and a little more thereafter.

Or maybe I am too anal. :rotfl

One last thing which is kinda unrelated, I never understood why the Nissan xterra only used 3.5 QTs when it is way bigger than the Rogue. The Xterras are known for their small oil capacity which I find odd. Even more so after I just realized the rogue is 5.1 QT in oil capacity. I prefer more oil for peace of mind personally.
Last edited by casperfun on Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philipa_240sx

I routinely put 5.1 quarts of oil in my Rogue. The dipstick reads just below the H mark.

Also, be sure you wait 10min after shutting the engine off to allow the oil to drain back into the pan before checking the level.

BTW, the Xterra (at least the 1st gen) has a smaller oil pan in order to provide clearance for the front axle (4wd models only), hence the lower capacity.

The VQ35DE in the FWD Altima on the other hand, has a 5.1 qt oil capacity.

hammester
Car: 2010 Wicked Black Nissan Rogue SL with leather and premium packages

So basically if I change the filter I should just use all 5 quarts instead of worrying about the 4 7/8th?

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

Yes, don't bother cutting hair, pour the whole jug and live happy.

philipa_240sx

Pescakl1 wrote:pour the whole jug and live happy.
Problem is oil containers come in different sizes anywhere from 4-5 quarts. Seems there is no standard. :confused:

Personally, I use 1qt (1L) bottles as that is the only way I can buy Castrol Syntec 0W30 (made in Germany). I end up with 1/4 bottle after every oil change.

Whatever you do, ensure you have the correct amount of oil by verifying the level on the dipstick.
CHECKING ENGINE OIL LEVEL
1. Park the vehicle on a level surface and apply
the parking brake.
2. Run the engine until it reaches operating
temperature.
3. Turn off the engine. Wait more than 10
minutes for the oil to drain back into
the oil pan.
4. Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean.
Reinsert it all the way.
5. Remove the dipstick again and check the oil
level. It should be within the range*1 .
'Range 1' is between the H and L marks.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Well I just pour the rest of what oil was remaining in my 5 QT jug of Penzzoil Platinum Ultra 5w-30. I am not too worried about the .1 Quart I am missing since it is well within the Low and High mark on the dipstick. It was in the middle before I poured the rest.

Anyways, I am happy now. Woo Hoo!! :clap:

Return to “Rogue Forum”