Oh what a shock! Mercedes-Benz blows!

Want to talk about non-Nissan cars? Here's the place!
Jesda

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4398901.stmI guess they get bonus points for trying?

[Thread title is laced with sarcasm.]

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Jesda wrote:[Thread title is laced with sarcasm.]
I'm glad you told me. I had no idea.

THIS, people, is why you don't buy Eurotrash. Wanna impress the neighbors? Well a Bimmer or a MB WON'T do that anymore, because it'll spend more time in the shop than parked in your driveway for people to...er...admire.

Yay for Mercedes Benz and their expensive cars!

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

bleh...

gimme a Porsche or give german cars death.

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

I guess this is what happens when you take your best engineers and move them to the Chrysler portion of the house to better engineer unreliable Chrysler vehicles and you leave unqualified inexperienced engineers in charge of the Mercedes side.

Jesda

It started in the late 90s when MB decided to cut costs and add new technology. They got sloppy. Meanwhile, Chrysler kept its electronics and designs simple, but cheaped out on parts.

M3Racer
Car: 1999 Acura 3.2TL, BMW E46 M3 Convertible

MinisterofDOOM wrote:THIS, people, is why you don't buy Eurotrash. Wanna impress the neighbors? Well a Bimmer or a MB WON'T do that anymore, because it'll spend more time in the shop than parked in your driveway for people to...er...admire.
You know not everyone buys good cars so other people will like them. A lot of people buy them because they're nice cars.

Jesda

BMW engineering is still top-notch, but quality control for both BMW and MB are eating off the bottom of the river.

Some nice things are still crap.

Now, where can I get my hands on a used 330..

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

the bottom line is, german engineering of the late 80s and early 90s will still be the best ever...

An old 750iL, 560SEL (or 600 :o ) 850i (with manual!) or E34 M5 is the way to go. An E34 M5 is so choice its unbelieveable....

Japs have remained reliably reliable but germans will still win... No matter what happens, BMW will still put a manual in its 5 series and from now on mercedes will still suck

i dont get why people buy the new MBs. the BMWs are still OK (dont agree with their high OCIs) but they wont make em like they used to!

driverdriver

According to IIHS and NHTSA and Canaidian IBC studies, Mercedes are the best car to be in if your involved in a serious auto accident. Only 9 fatalities between '99-'02 and the majority of those where attributed to passengers not wearing seatbelts.

I can believe that, I now someone who walked away from a multi vehicle pile-up with her 2 young kids unscathed. Her Mercedes ML320 SUV vehicle was hit directly and indirectly 5 times on the highway. after the accident she bought another ML.

Jesda

Its like the people who bought midsized Cadillacs in the 80s. They were crap, but something in the brain (outside influence? tradition?) convinced them otherwise.

If safety is the prime concern, save your money -- buy a Volvo.

driverdriver

Jesda wrote:
If safety is the prime concern, save your money -- buy a Volvo.
Actually Volvo did not score that well in any one of the studies. I think they sell a "perception" of safe cars. Besides Volvos are notorious for early transmission failures and engine damage from overheating caused by the failure of cooling systems. Just go on any Volvo forum and look under s60, s80, XC and V series wagon forums.

Jesda

Still, safety is hardly a compelling reason to buy a modern MB. It doesn't make up for horrendous build quality issues on the S, E, and ML class. Some blame the ML's problems on being built in Kentucky -- I call it bean counters in charge of engineering.

If safety is your primary goal, there's more affordable and reliable ways of achieving it.

gabossie
Car: Your mom

The older Volvo's were tanks, nothing could beat them in crash tests. New ones, I don't know so much about.

driverdriver

I think the ML's are built in Alabama.

Return to “Others”