OFFICIAL S14 Pikes Peak Time Attack Build Thread - Take Two

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

Fuel cell looks great, and nice find on the clean donor rocker panel. I wish I could find A S14 in a junkyard here. All Ive ever seen are a few S13s, and they have all been stripped bare.

kenno470
Car: 1995Ish Nissan 240SX (P-I: Retired 2012)
1997 Nissan 240SX (P-II: Began 2012)

The place I went to is called Nissan Heaven. This piece, which is in perfect shape, cost me 325.00. Some might say thats cheap and others might say I was robbed. I feel like for what I needed and the fact that I have a spare quarter panel that it was a pretty good deal. They even did all the work to exctract it from the car it was attached to. There were probably half a dozen or more S14's in various states of "undress" in that yard.

IanS

kenno470 wrote:The place I went to is called Nissan Heaven. There were probably half a dozen or more S14's in various states of "undress" in that yard.
Dont tell me that, your making me jealous.

Brandon93240
Car: 1993 240sx

Use a mazda 3 electric power steering pump, probably $100 used.

kenno470

Brandon93240 wrote:Use a mazda 3 electric power steering pump, probably $100 used.
That's a good idea. Funny thing, the Nissan heaven is actually called Mazda-Nissan Heaven, so I can probably go there to get the part. Convenient.

What year should I look for?

Thanks!

kenno470

Finally getting the bodywork completed. I have the donor rocker panel grafted in place. some finish welding and I'll call it soup. I'm starting the driver floor tomorrow. Gonna flatten it out a bit and box in the area around the transmission mount. Once that's done I can finally get the driver position set and finish the seat mounts and the steering column Stay tuned.

Here;s a few photos of the new old steel:

Well...there it is.

Bye.

IanS

Looks badass man, its good to see it with a door on it again.

kenno470

Good news:

Got the new sheet metal welded in and close to finished. Also got started on the floor area so I can set the seat. Best news of the weekend...my big arse front brakes will fit behind 17" wheels, after all. Just saved my budget a ton of money. The cost difference betwen the tires was 40-50 per tire.

Bummer news:

HP racing doesn't make brakes anymore. And their tech guy who was around when they were making them is taking his time getting back to me with alternatives on the pads. He says they cross reference with something...I just need to know what. Regardless, if I bust something or hose up a rotor I'll be shopping for new brakes.

On a side note...Today was the final custody hearing for my Son. He's legally and officially mine.

Bye!

kenno470

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to take a minute to announce that Squires Turbo Systems (STS) has jumped on the Fatman Racing bandwagon and will be lending their support to our Time Attack effort. They will be delivering one of their extremely well engineered rear mount turbo systems to the project later this month. I'll post some pics when we get the system into the shop and detailed photos of the installation, as well.I am very greatful for their support and look forward to seeing what kind of power we can extract form our KA (now KA-T!).

Thanks, as well, to all of you here on NICO for your continued support and advice as I work through the project. I have some great ideas for the rest of the project and I look forward to getting all of your input!

Thanks!Ken

http://www.ststurbo.com Check em' out!

S13xCrazy
Car: 1993 240sx Vert, 1993 BMW 325i, 1993 Honda CBR F2, 1998 Infiniti Q45,

This thread is awesome!Good luck with the car man, I will defiantly be watching this!

kenno470

Not much going on this week. Just getting a dummy block and head ready for mock up so when the turbo kit gets here we can start working on where we're going to mount it. Right now it looks like it will be in a box in the back seat right behind me. I'm sure some of you are saying,"what?" Just wait and see. It'll all make sense when you see the kit.

I'm going a different direction with the rear aero than originally planned so I had to yank out the frame I made for the fuel cell. So esentially I went backwards this week. Hopefully it was a "one step back, two steps forward" sort of thing, but we'll see.With regard to the aero, the entire rear underside of the car below the frame rails will be a diffuser. Similar to what you see on a European Touring Car. Stay tuned for that.

Holy cow I have allot of work to do...anyone want to help?

Bye.

IanS

kenno470 wrote:Holy cow I have allot of work to do...anyone want to help?

Sounds like you are having fun, whether you'll admit it or not.

kenno470

Took today off to get some work done on the car. I have more than 100 hours saved up...which just tells me I work too much and play too little. I do need to save a bit of time for when the baby comes in February, so days like today will be few.

Finally got the drivers floor back in. Looks pretty decent, I suppose. I need to finish up the welding, but I might drag the carcass down to the Fatman machine shop where I have a tig at my disposal.

Oh yeah...I'm selling my baby tomorrow. More car budget, but I'll miss her! Five great years on the Peak on this Quad. Very fast and very fun. Just a few stats: 370lbs wet, 55hp, top speed 89mph, handles like it's on rails.

I'll have more updates this weekend. I'm going to be working on the rear firewall and some other stuff...we'll see.

Bye!!

kenno470

Got the rear firewall fabricated Saturday. The rules say that if I have a fuel cell and a battery in the back that the drivers compartents needs to be isolated from them. So here it is:

There it is. Not sure what I'm going to sork on today. But I'll have updates of whatever it is later tonight.

Bye.

IanS

Lookin good as always. Sorry to see your selling your quad, it looks like it would be a blast to ride.

kenno470

A few more things done today. Got the rear fenders and rear bumper ready for the rear Aero package that is being developed. Also got most of the brake and clutch brackets removed from under the cowl. Freeing up room for the Wilwood Brake and clutch lever. I should have that in this week so I can get them and the steering column set next weekend.Damned exciting stuff, I know...

Got a financial infusion from our primary sponsor this weekend (Fatman Racing) so I'll be ordering a few parts this week such as the brake and clutch levers, lines and other components. I'm also getting a new set of rear lower toe arms and I'll be working with the guys from squire this week to get the turbo ordered.

See you next weekend.

r34 gtr
Car: 98 Frontier XE 4x4
95.5 Audi URS6 Avant 5spd
03 BMW 330i ZHP 6spd
89 240sx base CA18DET

Looking awesome! Can't wait to see this thing finished!

240lookis
Car: 1990 240sx hatch

looks like you will be putting a lot of time and work into this thing. can't wait for the final product.

kenno470

I am stoked to introduce TWO new sponsors for the Pikes Peak Time Attack car!First is Sick Tea (www.sicktea.com). They are providing liquid refeshment during the build and at the track for us this year. Also, the owner of Sick Tea, Tim Megenbier, is sending me to the Bondurant School in Phoenix! How's that for great support! I'll get a few days of track tme with a professional instructor to hone my skills for next years race! Very Stoked!!!

Also, MegWear (www.megwear.net) has come on board and will be providing our team with top shelf custom apparel and team uniforms! We are gonna look goood!

More fab will be happening this weekend, so stay tuned!

Bye.

the converted
Car: 99 M3 6.0l
88 Celica All-Trac (somewhere in Cali)
2020 Taco

Damn man your doing a hell of a nice job. Looks like you have everything under control, but like Sean said if you have any tech questions let us know.

dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

effing a, man. let me know next time yall are in ft worth. i try to hit up mazda/nissan heaven at least once a month and i can scout any parts you may need and talk get prices on them without you having to drive out or make phone calls that may not help you.

kenno470

the converted wrote:Damn man your doing a hell of a nice job. Looks like you have everything under control, but like Sean said if you have any tech questions let us know.
Thanks! I'll definitely be asking questions. I'd really like to know more about your engine management system. You're using a stand alone system, aren't you?

kenno470

d!ck wrote:effing a, man. let me know next time yall are in ft worth. i try to hit up mazda/nissan heaven at least once a month and i can scout any parts you may need and talk get prices on them without you having to drive out or make phone calls that may not help you.
That would be a HUGE help! Making a run out there is an all day sucker.

I was just looking at the headlights I have and they both have broken mounting tabs. So I'll need a new pair.

I'm supposed to go out to Fort Worth and meet the guys at Pro Tuning Performance sometime soon. I'll let you know when we get out that way.

Give me a call anytime: 214-803-1682

Thanks!!

the converted
Car: 99 M3 6.0l
88 Celica All-Trac (somewhere in Cali)
2020 Taco

Yeah AEM. I have to say that it is amazingly easy to use (been playing with engine management for a few years) and haven't had any problems at all. There was a bit of a learning curve getting everything set up because we are using a different cam sensor and running a MAP bassed set up instead of MAF. Hell it has and auto map that you can type in A/F ratios and let it get them dialed in for you, and since I have been street tuning ours by myself so far it makes a hell of a difference. If you want shoot me an email and I can get into the details of it with you.

dickie

i can get out there as early as monday. ill give you a call if i turn up any deals worth having. if you come up with any other parts i should look for, lmk. if i cant find it at the yards i can certainly check the local forums here on the west side for you.

IanS

the converted wrote:Yeah AEM. I have to say that it is amazingly easy to use (been playing with engine management for a few years) and haven't had any problems at all. There was a bit of a learning curve getting everything set up because we are using a different cam sensor and running a MAP bassed set up instead of MAF. Hell it has and auto map that you can type in A/F ratios and let it get them dialed in for you, and since I have been street tuning ours by myself so far it makes a hell of a difference. If you want shoot me an email and I can get into the details of it with you.
I agree, Ive used AEMs EMS, and their new FIC, and Ive been very please with both. The interface was much friendlier than anything ive used.

ashoe
Car: 1996 nissan 240sx se, 2006 subaru wrx

Wow! amazing project! I wish i was closer. I have always wanted to be a part of something like this. If you need some extra hands on race day let me know! Pikes Peak is only a 2 hour drive for me.

kenno470

ashoe wrote:Wow! amazing project! I wish i was closer. I have always wanted to be a part of something like this. If you need some extra hands on race day let me know! Pikes Peak is only a 2 hour drive for me.
Race day itself will be a snap. We'll need help race week, though. Always good to have some extra help to get things done during the week. We'll probably need some help at Fan Fest, as well.

Keep in touch!

dickie

make one of these guys offering to tag along carry a camera of some sort. this should be documented.

kenno470

d!ck wrote:i can get out there as early as monday. ill give you a call if i turn up any deals worth having. if you come up with any other parts i should look for, lmk. if i cant find it at the yards i can certainly check the local forums here on the west side for you.
As far as OEM stuff, I'll need the headlight wiring harness, as well. And I also need the bulb holder part of the tail lights, and the tail light wiring harness. Silly stuff, I know, but those are a few of the things on my mind right now. The rules say I have to have functioning headlights, tailights, turn signals, hazards, and wipers. If at any time these don't work, I can be penalized time or not be allowed to run. bummer. come to think of it, I need wiper arms, too. I have a good wiper motor and drive spindles, but the arms are missing.

Thanks, again, for your help!

Return to “240sx General Discussion”