2012 NICOFEST Powercruise: Information!

Read about NICOclub events of the past.
EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

How many people remember when NICOFest Atlanta @ the NOPI Nationals used to be our largest event of the year? Or Even when NICOFest Phoenix was huge? What about (more recently) NICOFest Nashville?

Aren't these events you all miss? We'll, we do too, which is why we're adding a new event to the 2012 schedule that is going to be HUGE!

Let me tell you a little bit about this epic event and what it's all about...

This huge event is taking place at Brainerd International Raceway in Brainerd, MN on July 13-15th. This is the 2nd Powercruise USA event, and although NICO missed out on the 1st year, we are NOT going to miss out on the 2nd year!

So what exactly is Powercruise? Powercruise is an Australian organization that puts on events throughout Australia and New Zealand, and now the U.S. It is a 3-day weekend event that lets you participate in all kinds of motorsports with *your* car for one price. This is only $60 if registered by Feb 29th and only $90 if registered by July 2nd!

Events Include:
Powercruise
Dyno Shootout
Powerskids
Drifting
Off-Street Racing
Burnout Competition
Car Show
Live Music
Epic Partying

Some of these events you may not be familiar with, so here's so more info of what exactly they are:

Powercruise: This event happens multiple times throughout the weekend and is what this thing is known for. This is a relaxed cruise around BIR's 3.1 mile roadcourse. Drive absolutely any vehicle you want and take passengers. No helmet required. Speed limited to approximately 80 mph. Drag Race your friend's on the straights. Take this time to simply cruise. The event happens in 2 hour time slots throughout the day. Absolutely anyone can participate, and passengers are allowed! I'm telling you, it's the coolest thing in the world to be rolling with a Lamborghini on one side of you, and a 1200+ HP Holden on the other side of you, as a 350Z follows you behind. Find a track veteran, and have him/her ride along with you. A perfect opportunity to learn the racing line while under no stress from people behind you! I can't emphasize the fun of this event enough!

Dyno Shootout: It is what the name implies. Strap your car to the dyno and see how much power it puts down! Awards for different classes.

Power Skids: This event is only for people with some serious HP. It takes place on the drag strip. Starting from a complete stop, nail the throttle and the car that spins the tires the farthest down the dragstrip without touching the brake wins. If you don't have at least 1000 HP, you probably won't be competitive in this event. But who cares? It doesn't cost any more to compete, so why not give it a go? It'd be awesome to see a Nissan outperform some domestic muscle in this event! Or let's see something unique, like a FWD or AWD car win. Now that would be cool to see.

Drifting: I don't need to explain this. If you don't know what drifting is, you live under a rock. Awards for the best!

Off-Street Racing: You like the thrill of illegal street racing? Why not play it safe and do it at the track? This is basically head to head drag racing, but instead of a tree you get flagged by a magical pair of hands standing between the two cars. No times, no lights, just plain old good head to head racing. Faster is better. You have a 1/4 mile to prove it.

Burnout Competition: Get Smokey! Awards for best burnout!

Car Show: This is another great part of the event. Because this event is open to literally all automotive vehicles, you see some great stuff. Unlike most car shows, this event isn't overwhelmingly full of rice. You'll see some amazing vehicles here. Imports, Domestics, Exotics, you name it. You might see a 500 HP Integra parked next to a '32 Ford Coupe, back to back with a twin turbo Gallardo and R33 GT-R. You'll think you've seen it all then your head will turn to look at the drag strip because somebody in a Willy's is standing it up on the back bumper because they have more HP than all 4 of the cars you were just looking at.

Live Music: Just when you thought it was all about the cars, the stage will light up. Unlike some past shows we've been to, don't expect to see MC Thugmaster G-Gangsta get on stage and rap about his 32" spinners on his Hummer. Nope, expect a variety of music that appeals to everyone. Most of us love being able to sing along to some Skynard, drink beer, and look at cars. You can expect that here.

Epic Partying: Perhaps one of the greatest things about this event. We all know that when we go to events, it's all about the partying. Cars are our common ground, but we all want to party. Take for instance NICOFest Carlisle. I'm determined we could all stay at the hotel and party all weekend and have just as much fun as if we were at the track. Here is where Brainerd International Raceway throws down the trump card. The venue is open 24 hours during Powercruise. If you pay to drive at Powercruise, free camping is included. Also, they have on-site condos that overlook the dragstrip. Because the only people staying in them are people at the show, there is no such thing as noise complaints. Imagine, it's basically an entire hotel, overlooking a roadcourse on what side and dragstrip on the other, and everyone there is there to party. Let me put it this way, Carlisle partying has nothing on Powercruise partying. Not even in the same ballpark. The condos sell out incredibly quick, so you'll want to RSVP one ASAP unless you plan to camp. I heard last year that there was some crazy partying in the campsites as well, but I couldn't tell you first hand. I was too busy partying in the condos. Oh, and I forgot to mention, the track also has an on-site bar/restaurant that is open till 2am. And the best part is, they also sell as a liquor store. You can buy full bottles of booze, and also bags of ice, at the bar until 2am.

So why have you never heard of Powercruise? It's quite simple really. They are based in Australia and this is only the 2nd event ever in the U.S. Their first was the same event last year. If you want to read up more on the event, go to http://www.powercruise.com/

Registration is now open at https://www.powercruise.com/secure/usa/orderform.php. There is a club affiliation portion of the registration form. Make sure you put down NICO. We are going to compete head to head with Ricekiller.com for the most forum members registered. They had about 60 people register last year. We can beat that. When NICOFest Atlanta (NOPI) was still going on, we almost had 100 people registered. I want to turn this into some friendly forum wars with Ricekiller, and possibly other forums as well. But most likely we will be the two top-runners competing for the title.

Oh, and also, one thing to make a note of, is this event awards aren't just trophies. We're talking money. And lots of it. Just about every award last year was at least $100. Some people walked away with 4 or 5 awards and over $1000 cash. For the ladies, there is a competition going on right now on the Powercruise Facebook page to win roundtrip airfare to the event, and the overall Miss Powercruise 2012 winner will win a roundtrip vacation to Australia. That is some serious stuff. Not just a huge a** trophy.

So post up if you're coming! I'll post more information on registration as it becomes available. But mark your calendars. I know Brainerd, MN might seem to be far for a lot of people, but I can't stress how much this is worth it. Especially if you live in the midwest. For people flying in, Brainerd does have a commercial airport although you may find much better deals flying into Minneapolis and hitching a ride with somebody or renting a car. Brainerd is about 2 1/2 hours from Minneapolis.

OwnerCS

Thanks for the posting.. It sounds like a lot of fun. Minnesota should be nice that time of year also.

drksolest
Car: 91 240sx coupe

Hmm, this sounds fun! Pending our house selling, we might come! :biggrin:

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

drksolest wrote:Hmm, this sounds fun! Pending our house selling, we might come! :biggrin:
Heck yeah you better. Been forever since I've seen you...and I miss you and stuff.

drksolest

Miss ya too, I'm going to be HUGE by then. I'm due August 2nd. No throwing me around in the pool this year :chuckle:

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

drksolest wrote:Miss ya too, I'm going to be HUGE by then. I'm due August 2nd. No throwing me around in the pool this year :chuckle:
Dang, means you can't drink with us either :( Oh well, still will be epic.

drksolest

:gapteeth: yes haha this is true, no drinky but if I can make it I'm sure it'll be a blast! :woot:

| 1cleang |
Car: '08 G37s Coupe 6MT

Yes, MN is always very nice when Powercruise takes place. The event keeps growing larger and larger each year. Its located at BIR (Brainerd International Speedway), which is well known all throughout the midwest.

See you guys there!

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

| 1cleang | wrote:Yes, MN is always very nice when Powercruise takes place. The event keeps growing larger and larger each year. Its located at BIR (Brainerd International Speedway), which is well known all throughout the midwest.

See you guys there!
Just want to let everyone know that online registration is open at https://www.powercruise.com/secure/usa/orderform.php

Make sure you register before February 29th if you plan on coming. It is only $60 to register right now, which includes ALL driving events for the weekend. After Feb 29th, the price goes up to $90. Still a great deal, but you can save $30 by registering now!

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

So wait, is there regular track time as well?
I see they have the power cruise around the 3.1 mile track, but its limited to 80mph. Do they have balls-out racing on that track too, or just the drag strip?

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:So wait, is there regular track time as well?
I see they have the power cruise around the 3.1 mile track, but its limited to 80mph. Do they have balls-out racing on that track too, or just the drag strip?
The only balls out is the drag strip, but the 80 mph limit is just an approximation, it's not checked. So you can literally be on the track for 2 hours and do spurts of balls out. But no, you can't do the full track balls out. Still though....$60. You can't go wrong with that.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:So wait, is there regular track time as well?
You don't own anything that'll DO 80.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I'll do 80 right in the butt. You'll see. :squint:

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I just registered Torry's Juke.

Gonna be some Days of Thunder going on if you keep it up, boy. ;)

2andfour
Car: 1992 Q45

I see a roadtrip in my future...

srphoenix
Car: 08 Mitsu Evolution X

hitting up Carlisle in May with the Evo X and hopefully Eikon's new BRZ. If I can make it to PA from Green Bay I better be able to make it to Brainerd. Hope the dates work out, sounds like a blast.

Return to “Past NICO Events”