Official Lighting Thread

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Six_Legs wrote:^^^THIS

That was the link I wanted, no patience...lol!! Referenced it more than once in the past but was in a hurry earlier.
Osrams and PIAA's still on my to do list. Sadly, Light@Day DLR's aren't avail anymore.

It's just as well with the Osram DRLs. They only worked properly for a few weeks which absolutely shocked me. I went back to Phillips Daylight-8 DRLs. Phillips are in my opinion the absolute best. They are also smaller and thinner so they fit our cars much better.
Could not agree more! As brilliant as the Osram DRLs were at the beginning, they quickly went titz-up and I was hugely disappointed. I also went back to Phillips Daylight-8 DRLs. Absolutely the brightest, most dependable. They now make a version similar in design to the Osram single-bar of light, but I'm still sold on the daylight-8s.

moedawg140
Car: 06 M35 S (Adv. Tech)
LI Quad
G37 BBK with H&R DRS
(15mm F, 10mm R)
Focal 165KRX2 (F)
Infinity Kappa 63.9i (R)
Alpine Type-X 10"
JL HD900/5 (sub chnl.)
RF CPCD10-03
Morimoto 4,300K H11

Brian35XR wrote:
moedawg140 wrote:Hello everyone,

I installed the D2S Morimoto XB 4,500K bulbs (http://www.theretrofitsource.com/compon ... TYWSSFViko) to replace my OEM HIDs because I wanted brighter light, and suffice to say, I am very disappointed. The bulb is bright I suppose, but the light is a really warm color, about the same color as regular halogen lights. It's more of a 3,800K color that is outputted, in my opinion. I have had these for the last few weeks, and I thought the color would change to a more whiter or bluer color after around 20 hours of use, but was unable to see a significant difference in color output after running the bulbs every time I drove, day and night.
the new TRS morimoto XB bulbs are very poor quality and about half i'd say have that ugly yellow/green problem. they try to say they start off that color and need atleast 40+ hours of burn in but they stay the same color afterwards!!!

check hidplanet.com and you'll see tons of posts complaining of the same issue. they changed manufacturers between the time they shifted from 5000k/6000k to 5500k/6500k. i'd ask for a refund.
These TRS Morimoto XB blubs are supposedly 4,500K. Regardless, they are simply terrible. I advise no one to purchase them, and they are really yellow. TRS was saying to me the color should change with use, and I seriously didn't notice a change for the better. I hope they will refund, but when I inquired regarding returns/refunds, they said if the bulbs were used, they will not refund. I will bring up the issue again with TRS and hopefully they will honor my refund request. Terribly disappointed.
Larz wrote:
I should have just purchased what I thought would be a great HID bulb to use, which is the D2S OSRAM XENARC 66240 CBI 5,500K - originally (as far as I know) recommended by Larz - the first time. I purchased the OSRAM XENARC 66240 CBI this morning, and I will let everyone know how they compare to the Morimoto and OEM bulbs. Thank you Ilya for also posting the discount code that you used, because it still worked for me! :)

Larz, do you have any pictures of the the flank bulbs that you use for the parking lights? I currently use the 5 LED bulb, and if your halo effect you created looks snazzy, I may want to change out my bulb to the flank!
This is the bulb I used. It comes in 6k or 5k - the 5k matches the CBI headlamps better. After changing the bulb, the trick comes in twisting the housing back into the headlamp hole. Start the twist at different points along the notches so that the LEDs end up facing straight down or straight up (different effects) instead of just randomly twisting it back in.

http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/ ... 4-hpf.html

** PS: You will love the CBI bulbs. Sharper cut-offs and much wider coverage on the sides. Very close to daylight and on long trips I had much less eye fatigue. Also less wash-out under those high intensity roadway lamps.
I am sorry if I did not clarify enough, but can you post pictures of how the lights look in your headlight housing? I saw the link for the flank blubs in a previous post of yours, and I'm wondering how the light output actually looks from your headlight housing.

I am sure I will like the CBI bulbs - anything is better than the Morimoto XB blub! You mention the CBI changes to a sunlight color, does the CBI look "whiter" in color now?

Thanks in advance.

Larz

I've never used the Morimoto bulbs but I can speak to how CBIs compare to other bulbs including our stock 4300k bulbs.
The light that comes from the CBIs is much much whiter than stock bulbs and most BM and Merc bulbs. The BM and Merc bulbs (accept the 2015 version which is better than CBIS) are bright, but CBIs are brighter and even though Retrofit calls them "cool blue intense", I see no bluish tint. The light, as you will notice tonight, is a pure white. The beam is more focused, spreads out two lanes on either side of your car (assuming your outer lenses have no residue or fog on the finish. The light starts directly in front of your bumper and goes about half-way up the sides of the cars around you, so they won't blind any oncoming traffic (unlike the wanna-be purple-ish bulbs people buy at the car part shop. They also shine noticeably farther in front of you as well.

As for the flank bulbs, I'm sorry but I removed them. I am working on a new idea. I bought strips of LEDs (5k) that will lay under the new eyebrows I bought from Sarona (going out to the paint shop soon to match my paint).. They will be connected to the wires from the parking lights so the socket is still in place, but has no wires attached. The eyebrows will hide the strips, lay smoothly under them and point directly down to light up the inside of the headlamp housing.
If I remember correctly, looking at the housing from the front, the flank bulb was not as noticeable when lighted or off. The actual LEDs were facing UP but tilted a bit as are any other bulbs due to the design of the socket. The idea is to have the LEDs point at the reflective parts of the housing instead of outward like a regular bulb. Hope this helps!

CPJ LB
Car: 12 G37X Sedan- stealthy modded
14 Altima 2.5
08 Tahoe
06 M35 S (gone)
14 Versa 4dr (gone)

I installed the D2S Morimoto XB 4,500K bulbs (http://www.theretrofitsource.com/compon ... TYWSSFViko) to replace my OEM HIDs because I wanted brighter light, and suffice to say, I am very disappointed. The bulb is bright I suppose, but the light is a really warm color, about the same color as regular halogen lights. It's more of a 3,800K color that is outputted, in my opinion. I have had these for the last few weeks, and I thought the color would change to a more whiter or bluer color after around 20 hours of use, but was unable to see a significant difference in color output after running the bulbs every time I drove, day and night.

I should have just purchased what I thought would be a great HID bulb to use, which is the D2S OSRAM XENARC 66240 CBI 5,500K - originally (as far as I know) recommended by Larz - the first time. I purchased the OSRAM XENARC 66240 CBI this morning, and I will let everyone know how they compare to the Morimoto and OEM bulbs. Thank you Ilya for also posting the discount code that you used, because it still worked for me! :)

Larz, do you have any pictures of the the flank bulbs that you use for the parking lights? I currently use the 5 LED bulb, and if your halo effect you created looks snazzy, I may want to change out my bulb to the flank!

Update - The V3 Triton front and rear bulbs are still functioning well, and the VLEDS puddle lights are still lighting up the ground whenever they are on!
What up Moe!! sorry to hear about your experience....sounds like you got a bad set (probably they sold you the first generation XB's) I'm surprised about TRS' service or lack there of... I'm not sure if you read my post, but I installed the second generation XB 35's (5500K) since I wanted a whiter light output. So far so good with the bulbs...I'm still in So Cal, so maybe we can meet up one evening so you can see my light output in person. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the Osrams - great bulbs.

moedawg140
LI Quad
G37 BBK with H&R DRS
(15mm F, 10mm R)
Focal 165KRX2 (F)
Infinity Kappa 63.9i (R)
Alpine Type-X 10"
JL HD900/5 (sub chnl.)
RF CPCD10-03
Morimoto 4,300K H11

Larz wrote:I've never used the Morimoto bulbs but I can speak to how CBIs compare to other bulbs including our stock 4300k bulbs.
The light that comes from the CBIs is much much whiter than stock bulbs and most BM and Merc bulbs. The BM and Merc bulbs (accept the 2015 version which is better than CBIS) are bright, but CBIs are brighter and even though Retrofit calls them "cool blue intense", I see no bluish tint. The light, as you will notice tonight, is a pure white. The beam is more focused, spreads out two lanes on either side of your car (assuming your outer lenses have no residue or fog on the finish. The light starts directly in front of your bumper and goes about half-way up the sides of the cars around you, so they won't blind any oncoming traffic (unlike the wanna-be purple-ish bulbs people buy at the car part shop. They also shine noticeably farther in front of you as well.

As for the flank bulbs, I'm sorry but I removed them. I am working on a new idea. I bought strips of LEDs (5k) that will lay under the new eyebrows I bought from Sarona (going out to the paint shop soon to match my paint).. They will be connected to the wires from the parking lights so the socket is still in place, but has no wires attached. The eyebrows will hide the strips, lay smoothly under them and point directly down to light up the inside of the headlamp housing.
If I remember correctly, looking at the housing from the front, the flank bulb was not as noticeable when lighted or off. The actual LEDs were facing UP but tilted a bit as are any other bulbs due to the design of the socket. The idea is to have the LEDs point at the reflective parts of the housing instead of outward like a regular bulb. Hope this helps!
Thank you for the response, Larz. What HID or LED bulbs do the 2015 Mercedes/BMWs use? I know the newest Q50s use LED headlights, and those were pretty nice and bright during nighttime driving when I was given one as a loaner. The Q50 didn't seem to throw its light very far, though.

I haven't received the CBI yet, probably in the next couple of days. I hope to have it installed for my Las Vegas trip this weekend and San Francisco trip the week after (and possibly a Las Vegas trip the week after [if I decide to compete in the Wrestling (real) Nationals]).

As for the flank bulbs, maybe I will pass on it - haven't made my decision yet. I have the V3 Triton front 5K LED bulbs on as my parking light bulbs as well, so that should suffice - definitely want to keep the car looking tastefully classy as I can make it.

Good luck with the eyebrow LED retro/modernfit, I'm sure it will look amazing.
CPJ LB wrote:What up Moe!! sorry to hear about your experience....sounds like you got a bad set (probably they sold you the first generation XB's) I'm surprised about TRS' service or lack there of... I'm not sure if you read my post, but I installed the second generation XB 35's (5500K) since I wanted a whiter light output. So far so good with the bulbs...I'm still in So Cal, so maybe we can meet up one evening so you can see my light output in person. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the Osrams - great bulbs.
What's up Anthony! Long time no talk to. Haven't really been around this forum very much, but I am involved in Head-Fi.org (same username).

I'm not sure that it is a bad set because I have also read other owner's issues with their XB's, as they look yellow (like a bright halogen look to it). Even if it is a bad set (very odd for 2 different bulbs to look the exact same yellow color), I will not take another chance since I am not able to get a refund with my current set. The output of the OSRAM CBI is higher than the Philips brand and XB brand bulbs, but I wanted to save some money by going for the almost-as-high-output (or so I thought) XBs. Maybe I can find a way to sell my XB for cheaper to at least recoup some of the price I paid for them. I'll make sure to update the thread with brief impressions of how I believe the lights (XB 4,500K, OEM and OSRAM CBI) look with regards to perceived color, sharpness of color, light throw, wideness of light path, etcetera.

I actually would like to meet up with you in person (always wanted to), because I would like to see your exhaust setup and hear it with my own ears.

DoN_BLaZe34
Car: 2007 M45 Sport - Sold
2006 FX45 - Traded
2014 Q70S 5.6 - Sold
2017 Q70L 5.6 - Current

The Q50 uses HID headlights not LED...the fog logs are LED though.

moedawg140
LI Quad
G37 BBK with H&R DRS
(15mm F, 10mm R)
Focal 165KRX2 (F)
Infinity Kappa 63.9i (R)
Alpine Type-X 10"
JL HD900/5 (sub chnl.)
RF CPCD10-03
Morimoto 4,300K H11

DoN_BLaZe34 wrote:The Q50 uses HID headlights not LED...the fog logs are LED though.
Thank you for the information. I was under the impression that the headlights were LED.

Could you please specify the exact HID model (HID bulbs and ballasts) used in the newest (2015) Q50, and provide the confirming hyperlink(s)?

Thank you in advance.

CPJ LB
14 Altima 2.5
08 Tahoe
06 M35 S (gone)
14 Versa 4dr (gone)

good to hear from you Moe!! just sent you a PM....let's meet up.

take care brotha!

moedawg140
LI Quad
G37 BBK with H&R DRS
(15mm F, 10mm R)
Focal 165KRX2 (F)
Infinity Kappa 63.9i (R)
Alpine Type-X 10"
JL HD900/5 (sub chnl.)
RF CPCD10-03
Morimoto 4,300K H11

CPJ LB wrote:good to hear from you Moe!! just sent you a PM....let's meet up.

take care brotha!
Should be fun. I'll get to see your car again (saw it the first time at a local dealership several years ago), hearing some sweet sounds, and you'll get to see all of the lighting that I installed, and other goodies that have been beneficial to my well being. :woot:

DoN_BLaZe34
Car: 2007 M45 Sport - Sold
2006 FX45 - Traded
2014 Q70S 5.6 - Sold
2017 Q70L 5.6 - Current

moedawg140 wrote:
DoN_BLaZe34 wrote:The Q50 uses HID headlights not LED...the fog logs are LED though.
Thank you for the information. I was under the impression that the headlights were LED.

Could you please specify the exact HID model (HID bulbs and ballasts) used in the newest (2015) Q50, and provide the confirming hyperlink(s)?

Thank you in advance.
Turns out I was wrong :tisk: and you were in fact correct.

The Q50 is in fact equipped with LED headlights. Sorry for the confusion folks.

moedawg140
LI Quad
G37 BBK with H&R DRS
(15mm F, 10mm R)
Focal 165KRX2 (F)
Infinity Kappa 63.9i (R)
Alpine Type-X 10"
JL HD900/5 (sub chnl.)
RF CPCD10-03
Morimoto 4,300K H11

DoN_BLaZe34 wrote:Turns out I was wrong :tisk: and you were in fact correct.

The Q50 is in fact equipped with LED headlights. Sorry for the confusion folks.
Thank you for the updated post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I should have the OSRAM CBI in my possession and installed by Friday, drive to Vegas, and update how awesome (I'm presuming based on the pictures, CBI threads, etc.) they illuminate the road like most no other HID currently can - more than likely after the CBIs have been powered on for at least 20 hours.

moedawg140
LI Quad
G37 BBK with H&R DRS
(15mm F, 10mm R)
Focal 165KRX2 (F)
Infinity Kappa 63.9i (R)
Alpine Type-X 10"
JL HD900/5 (sub chnl.)
RF CPCD10-03
Morimoto 4,300K H11

I installed the OSRAM Xenarc 66240 Cool Blue Intense (CBI) D2S 5,500K HID bulbs last week (before Friday) - which are powered by the OEM Infiniti Matsushita ballasts, and have been using the CBI bulbs day and night in conjunction with my Morimoto 3Five H11 4,300K fog light bulbs that I have used for 23 months. Simply, I absolutely adore the CBI!

The CBI emits a very bright, sharp, and daylight white light, the Morimoto XB 4,500K D2S' bulbs are yellow and duller in comparison. The Q50 emits more of a bluer light, around 6,000-6,500K in color to my eyes.

The CBI's light throw is farther than the 2015 Q50 LED headlights and the Morimoto XB 4,500K bulbs.

The CBI's light output is just about as bright as the Q50's brightest hotspot, but makes it up with an overall farther and at least just as wide output. The XB by comparison is not as strong, and may be more fatiguing as the light is not as crisp and sharp as the CBI.

The CBI's beam width is exceptional. The CBI's stellar bright and white light spreads 4 lanes wide, each side. The Q50 has a wide beam as well but does not throw the light nearly as far as the CBI. The XB has a more narrow beam than the CBI or the Q50.

If you are not happy with your current HID bulbs, or want an upgrade and want the whitest light possible, the CBI should be on your very short list to purchase.

Here are some photos from my trip to Las Vegas, and the CBI's beam emitting from the parking structure walls in Nevada and California:

Before the CBI install - Morimoto XB D2S 4,500K after about 40 hours of use - still too yellow in color for me:

OSRAM Cool Blue Intense Xenarc Xenon D2S 5,500K:

OSRAM CBI D2S 5,500K - With Morimoto 3Five H11 4,300K fog lights on

OSRAM CBI D2S 5,500K - With Morimoto 3Five H11 4,300K fog lights on - Wide beam

OSRAM CBI D2S 5,500K - Without fog lights on

OSRAM CBI D2S 5,500K - Without fog lights on - slightly different view

OSRAM CBI D2S 5,500K - Without fog lights on - Wide beam

Parked - OSRAM CBI D2S 5,500K - Beautiful daylight white light - Parked at structure

Parked - OSRAM CBI D2S 5,500K - Beautiful daylight white light - Parked at another structure

Larz

Brilliant! I knew you would love them. You will also find that the movement of the beam when turning is more pronounced as well, throwing light into the direction the car is turning. Even under the bright yellow crime lights on major roadways, they don't completely wash out like the OEM bulbs do. I'm glad you noticed that these reduce driving fatigue at night as well - I thought it might be my imagination. Quite happy for you, mate !

moedawg140
LI Quad
G37 BBK with H&R DRS
(15mm F, 10mm R)
Focal 165KRX2 (F)
Infinity Kappa 63.9i (R)
Alpine Type-X 10"
JL HD900/5 (sub chnl.)
RF CPCD10-03
Morimoto 4,300K H11

Larz wrote:Brilliant! I knew you would love them. You will also find that the movement of the beam when turning is more pronounced as well, throwing light into the direction the car is turning. Even under the bright yellow crime lights on major roadways, they don't completely wash out like the OEM bulbs do. I'm glad you noticed that these reduce driving fatigue at night as well - I thought it might be my imagination. Quite happy for you, mate !
Since the beam of the CBI is already super wide, the AFS pivots the wide beam in a way that makes it easier to see when you are turning corners, etcetera.

I have found that the darker it is outside the better the CBI's light is more pronounced - in my opinion.

The whiter light of a bulb like the CBI is perceived to reduce driving fatigue comparatively to halogens, yellower light, etcetera.

Thanks for your post regarding the CBI bulbs. When you stated "(accept the 2015 version which is better than CBIS)" regarding "the BM and Merc bulbs" in a previous post, what HID or LED bulbs do the 2015 BMWs/Mercedes use?

Larz

moedawg140 wrote:
Larz wrote:Brilliant! I knew you would love them. You will also find that the movement of the beam when turning is more pronounced as well, throwing light into the direction the car is turning. Even under the bright yellow crime lights on major roadways, they don't completely wash out like the OEM bulbs do. I'm glad you noticed that these reduce driving fatigue at night as well - I thought it might be my imagination. Quite happy for you, mate !
Since the beam of the CBI is already super wide, the AFS pivots the wide beam in a way that makes it easier to see when you are turning corners, etcetera.

I have found that the darker it is outside the better the CBI's light is more pronounced - in my opinion.

The whiter light of a bulb like the CBI is perceived to reduce driving fatigue comparatively to halogens, yellower light, etcetera.

Thanks for your post regarding the CBI bulbs. When you stated "(accept the 2015 version which is better than CBIS)" regarding "the BM and Merc bulbs" in a previous post, what HID or LED bulbs do the 2015 BMWs/Mercedes use?
The BMs have a similar design, but no where near as advanced as the Mecs:

"Mercedes’s new MULTIBEAM LED headlights. They feature special LED modules, each with 24 individually-controlled LEDs, that can automatically illuminate a road with precision-controlled distribution of a high-beam’s light path—without dazzling other road users. (future models will have 48 LEDs)
A camera positioned behind the windscreen delivers the information with which four control units adjust the ideal light pattern 100 times per second. If oncoming traffic or vehicles in front are present, the headlights mechanically masks them out of the light path of the main beam so that preceding car and oncoming drivers are not dazzled.
The high beam employs state-of-the-art high-performance LEDs to provide high beam ranges of over 600 meters (1968 feet) in driving situations without any oncoming traffic or vehicles ahead.
Each MULTIBEAM LED headlamp also contains a further module for the low-beam mode which is equipped with four LEDs. If the camera detects a bend coming up, it can direct the lights to swivel outward by as much as twelve degrees to light up a bend before the driver has even turned the wheel. This allows the driver to identify dangers earlier when entering. There is also a navigation-based mode for roundabouts. This activates the cornering light function to the left and right before entering the roundabout to ensure maximum visibility at an early stage."

MOWellsinVA
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45 Sport (Obsidian Black w/ Graphite interior)

I wanted to follow up on the subject of the Morimoto XB35 5500K bulbs. I did have them installed in the beginning of the year and I have been very pleased with them. They are much brighter, whiter, and they do a much better job of illuminating the areas to the left and right of the front of the car. I feel more comfortable maneuvering around curbs now as I can better see where my car is in relation to the curb. The cut-off line on the illumination against a wall is very sharp, and I have had no-one flash at me to dim my "high beams". It might be my imagination, but them seem to gotten a bit brighter and whiter as they have "broken in" . I agree that they make the turning of the low-beams more noticeable with the improved illumination. I can recommend them without hesitation, especially considering the extremely reasonable cost!

CPJ LB
14 Altima 2.5
08 Tahoe
06 M35 S (gone)
14 Versa 4dr (gone)

MOWellsinVA wrote:I wanted to follow up on the subject of the Morimoto XB35 5500K bulbs. I did have them installed in the beginning of the year and I have been very pleased with them. They are much brighter, whiter, and they do a much better job of illuminating the areas to the left and right of the front of the car. I feel more comfortable maneuvering around curbs now as I can better see where my car is in relation to the curb. The cut-off line on the illumination against a wall is very sharp, and I have had no-one flash at me to dim my "high beams". It might be my imagination, but them seem to gotten a bit brighter and whiter as they have "broken in" . I agree that they make the turning of the low-beams more noticeable with the improved illumination. I can recommend them without hesitation, especially considering the extremely reasonable cost!

I agree…my bulbs have gotten brighter/whiter since I’ve purchased them earlier this year…I can’t complain with it’s performance so far and for the price… Anyways, here’s a shot that I took while in the McDonald’s drive thru a few nights ago…really white and good cut-off. I wish our M’s had better projector lenses.

I’ll be switching up cars pretty soon and my upcoming car will be a 2012 so the HID’s are still good - stock 4300K. Once they start to age, I’ll upgrade to the Osrams or stick with the XB 5500K….

CPJ LB
14 Altima 2.5
08 Tahoe
06 M35 S (gone)
14 Versa 4dr (gone)

BTW, congrats Moe on your Osrams! glad you got your car dialed in!!

moedawg140
LI Quad
G37 BBK with H&R DRS
(15mm F, 10mm R)
Focal 165KRX2 (F)
Infinity Kappa 63.9i (R)
Alpine Type-X 10"
JL HD900/5 (sub chnl.)
RF CPCD10-03
Morimoto 4,300K H11

CPJ LB wrote:BTW, congrats Moe on your Osrams! glad you got your car dialed in!!
Thanks for the kind words, my friend! :)

WillV
Car: 2006 M35 Moonlight White/Tan Interior

Hi everyone; would you all say that the light output of the Osram CBIs is as good as the output from say a 50W system with Morimoto XB bulbs? (6500 K)

Larz

I would say that there is NO comparison to the Osram CBI. Even a 50w ballast with the Morimoto (not as good a bulb) cannot do what the Osrams do. Also, as you increase watts for the ballast, you decrease the distance the bulbs shine.
Here is a previous discussion regarding ballasts and bulbs:

headlight-bulb-35w-or-55w-t586818.html

And here is my post in that discussion. Moind you, I am NOT an expert. Iyla and I did our homework and researched this topic as you will read in that discussion:

Chiming in here .... There are 55w D2S bulbs even from Retrofit Source ... BUT ... they require a 55w ballast to work properly and they have a significantly shorter lifespan (as much as 1/3 less than a 35w bulb).
Also remember that as you increase kelvins, you decrease the distance the light covers. Your wife was right - 8k kelvin bulbs won't light up much in front of your car. Similar to the HID wanna-be peeps who want a purple hue - their bulbs make a nice colour on the ground in front of the bumper, but they can't see more than 20 feet in front of the car.
A good 5k or 6k kelvin bulb will make nearly pure white with a 35w ballast if you buy from the right place. 70% - 80% of the Phillips, Morimoto, or Osram bulbs sold on Ebay, Amazon, etc are fakes. Always buy bulbs from places like The Retro Fit Source - they obtain bulbs direct from the manufacturer, not a supply house.
Buy your bulbs (no higher than 6k kelvin if you want to see in the distance) from a place like The Retrofit Source where you can be 100% sure they are selling the actual brand in the actual factory sealed containers. I recommend the Phillips 85122 or what I'm about to upgrade to: 5000 kelvin Osram CBI's'. The authentic Phillips and Osram bulbs are NOT cheap .... but they are staggeringly brilliant with sharp cut-offs, wide coverage, and long disctance.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

^^ higher K rating = shorter distance as stated in the italics...not wattage. Just a typo, but figured I'd mention it ;).

WillV

Thanks larz. I tried searching, but couldn't find that thread before I posted here. I will check the thread out.

WillV

Ilya wrote:^^ higher K rating = shorter distance as stated in the italics...not wattage. Just a typo, but figured I'd mention it ;).
Yeah, I figured he meant higher K because the wattage definitely has more output. Thanks guys.

WillV

Hey all, I was about to order my new CBI bulbs (not going to Morimoto, going to buy Osram) but I found these new Osram bulbs that have only recently come out: the CBH - Cool Blue Hyper. HYPER sounds nice doesn't it?? LOL but the lights are rated at 6000K, but apparently still are brighter than the CBI bulbs and the Philips bulbs. (brighter = more lumens, and I am guessing more distance) Anyway, has anyone tried these out or seen them? They good? If I am about to drop that amount on two Osram CBIs, might as well spend the extra bit to get the latest, brightest? Thoughts?

Larz

I had no idea a newer version was out there. I would definitely check them out. A 6000k bulb will lean ever so slightly toward blue-ish white rather than bright daylight. Probably similar to those you see on the newest Mercedes. We'll have to wait until someone with the current CBI's does an actual comparison to see how the distance is affected if at all.

WillV

The Retrofit Source hinted at a Black Friday sale, so I guess I am going to wait until next month to get them. But I will have pics up here before year's end for all to see! TRS says that this bulb produces more lumens than the CBI, so I have high expectations honestly.

Larz

I just ordered the newest Osram: 66240-CBH (cool blue hyper).
Was anything wrong with my current 66240-CBI bulbs? no
Did I need to replace the current Osrams? no
Why then? you ask
<shoulder shrug> I just wanted them : :cool:
This is where you roll your eyes like Fetucini did, LOL.

Below is the link for the ONLY place to buy headlamps of any brand to be sure you aren't getting fakes. Also, a few blurbs about the CBH bulbs from the website.
The price: $200 (free shipping and no sales tax)

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/d2s-o ... 51791.html

THE KING: Wait what? Yeah, we thought Osram's CBI was the best...until they released the CBH in Q2 2016. It is the currently the brightest 6000K D2S bulb on the market, period.

IN TESTING: Powered from the same Matsushita ballast and projected through a new Morimoto 4TL-R Bi-xenon projector, the CBH trumped all. We'll let the numbers do the talking. Philips 85122 WX: 223 Lux. Osram D2S CBI: 316 Lux. Osram D2S CBH: 332 Lux!

GENUINE: The Retrofit Source is proud to offer these bulbs in their original retail packaging from Osram. We pride ourselves on being one of the last few distributors shipping genuine Philips & Osram lamps in the US. It is estimated that 80% of these bulbs sold through outlets such as eBay or Amazon are fakes.

I am due for an oil / filter change in the next week or so. I will have received the bulbs by then and get them installed at that time. I will also do a video just as I did with the CBI bulbs and add it to the videos in my sig.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Larz wrote:I just ordered the newest Osram: 66240-CBH (cool blue hyper).
Was anything wrong with my current 66240-CBI bulbs? no
Did I need to replace the current Osrams? no
Why then? you ask
<shoulder shrug> I just wanted them : :cool:
This is where you roll your eyes like Fetucini did, LOL.

Below is the link for the ONLY place to buy headlamps of any brand to be sure you aren't getting fakes. Also, a few blurbs about the CBH bulbs from the website.
The price: $200 (free shipping and no sales tax)

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/d2s-o ... 51791.html

THE KING: Wait what? Yeah, we thought Osram's CBI was the best...until they released the CBH in Q2 2016. It is the currently the brightest 6000K D2S bulb on the market, period.

IN TESTING: Powered from the same Matsushita ballast and projected through a new Morimoto 4TL-R Bi-xenon projector, the CBH trumped all. We'll let the numbers do the talking. Philips 85122 WX: 223 Lux. Osram D2S CBI: 316 Lux. Osram D2S CBH: 332 Lux!

GENUINE: The Retrofit Source is proud to offer these bulbs in their original retail packaging from Osram. We pride ourselves on being one of the last few distributors shipping genuine Philips & Osram lamps in the US. It is estimated that 80% of these bulbs sold through outlets such as eBay or Amazon are fakes.

I am due for an oil / filter change in the next week or so. I will have received the bulbs by then and get them installed at that time. I will also do a video just as I did with the CBI bulbs and add it to the videos in my sig.
Great. Now I want em.

Larz

I love it when a plan comes together!
Our lovely DHL lady just delivered these. (Can I just say that my nips just got hard, LOL.)
The plan is to contact my service rep at the dealer to set an appointment next week for an oil / filter change and instillation of the lamps.
FYI:
Osram has implemented a security feature for their lamps that allows you to verify they are authentic factory products. There are three labels on each product in addition to the labeling on the actual lamp itself. Least they should do actually, considering they are among the most expensive lamps in the industry. Owners can visit the site below to verify their lamps:
http://trust.osram.info/trust/en/the-tr ... /index.jsp

After instillation, I will do a POV night drive under various conditions.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”