Official CoD Modern Warfare 2 thread.....with a NEW TRAILER!!!!!

PC, Game console and Online gaming discussion forum
Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

Didn't see this posted up yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8toHfZm6jNE

New Infamy trailer. It has me salivating pretty well for the game now!

Dittoz7
Car: 1997 2f0WtY SE!

Love Awesomely Edited Video.

With This And FM3.

I My Social Life Will Be On Hold For A Good While.

sil80_chris
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

This Infamy trailer is insane...war in america!?! holy crap...and i was just in it mostly for the online...story FTW.

Nali
Car: Datsun Nissan 280ZX

sil80_chris wrote:This Infamy trailer is insane...war in america!?! holy crap...and i was just in it mostly for the online...story FTW.
IW always made absolutely insane hard hitting SP, the nly downside is they make it way too short and never bother with SP expansions.

But i supposed its actually a good thing, id rather have 5 hours of over the mutherfuucking edge gameplay than 10 hours of sorta cool gameplay.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

The only thing keeping this from being a must-buy for me is the fact that COD4 was so frustrating at times. IW really needs to learn to balance progress. Getting stuck forever on one tiny section is not good. I still can't get past one small part of a specific mission because the AI refuses to support me as I try and move. Crap like that is hard to tolerate in such an otherwise great game. Even if it wasn't the AI's fault...designing a game that's so rigidly linear in progression that there's no alternative to getting stuck is pretty bad these days.

RCA

I agree with MoD but I never got caught up in that. Some of the missions I had to do twice or even three times but no more then that. I think IW has heard about this "trigger" type AI where when you reach a certain point enemies just go away but before then they don't stop comming. I wouldn't be worried about it too much.

That plus as good as the SP is, the meat and potatos are in the MP. I can not wait! NICO clan tags!

I want , , but most of all I want

Chaotic_Warlord
Car: Black 5 speed Swapped 1995 240sx

I'm already sporting the NICO clan tag on MW and WAW, but then again my gamertag is the same as my s/n on here (which is the same on everything I'm on). MOD the only section of MW that I ever got stuck was the underground War room section on Veteran, the rest I can do pretty much in my sleep. I still never beat that war room mission on veteran, I just can't get through the tunnel section, then again I've never been able to beat the Mile High Club mission either, I get sooooooo close and then I run out of time.

Dittoz7
Car: 1997 2f0WtY SE!

^The Only Thing I Still Haven't Beaten In Veteran.

The One Your On A Hill, And Have To Make It Back Down To The Extraction Point.

Took Me A Good Half Day To Beat.

RCA

Not sure if you guys got a chance to check this out...

http://modernwarfare247.com/ne...eater

Complete breakdown of the new MW2 trailer. Pretty sick and funny. Enjoy!

snwbrdr435
Car: 85 VW Westfalia, CBR F4i, SV650s, 1988 Honda Hawk(race)

Scotty Lago ftw lol

I didnt really like this video as a whole but this and a few other parts stood out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRIpu73RIzc

RCA

More MW2 goodies!!!

http://www.gametrailers.com/ep...ep=74

They cover the Indendent Game fest and some 2 other games.90% percent is MW2. Enjoy suckas!

Chaotic_Warlord

snwbrdr435 wrote:Scotty Lago ftw lol

I didnt really like this video as a whole but this and a few other parts stood out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRIpu73RIzc
threadjack off topic randomness...

snwbrdr435

Lol that was suppose to go into the learned'd woops i wonder were that went how the hell did it end up in here?

RCA

snwbrdr435 wrote:Lol that was suppose to go into the learned'd woops i wonder were that went how the hell did it end up in here?
I was going to say WTF is he talking about?

But any who...I CAN'T FU*KING WAIT!

EDIT:You guys think you're tough...

Modified by RCA at 6:41 AM 10/13/2009

dasoupdude
Car: 2005 Z

I can't believe the prestige edition is coming out with night vision goggles.

LocAL_anarchy
Car: 08 Mustang GT
95 Nissan 240sx
96 Ford Explorer Sport

Not sure if it is legit or not, but from what I have read, the Best Buy in Scranton, PA is having an unusual midnight release celebration. It appears that those who are waiting to purchase the game will be able to pass the time until midnight by playing laser tag against the Pennsylvania National Guard.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

RCA wrote:
Doo do do do doo doo...Doo do do do doo doo...WhackatathumpSitting on a park bench...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7-EEGiABBU

otterman

"Treyarch did this (insert Treyarch/CoD5 hate here)""Treyarch messed this up (insert Treyarch/CoD5 hate here)"

At least Treyarch let you mod the game and run dedicated servers. How completely retarded of Infinity Ward.

I'll probably wait a while before buying MW:2 now. Just gonna wait to see how the matchmaking system works out.

It's like the devs were saying "Hey whats the one thing that sets apart PC gaming and makes it so great? Oh yeah! The community and competitive gaming! Lets get rid of that crap!"

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I have a feeling running dedicated servers will be as simple as editing a file. Won't be officially supported, but neither are private WoW servers, and they're everywhere.

otterman

MinisterofDOOM wrote:I have a feeling running dedicated servers will be as simple as editing a file. Won't be officially supported, but neither are private WoW servers, and they're everywhere.
How will you be able to browse for servers? Someone is going to have to make a browser or you'll have to put in the IP of the server?

Maybe the console will have some sort of browser you can access like on Left4Dead

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I'm assuming someone will rig up a "private IWNet" that will appear to clients as IWNet, and therefore will be browsable through the in-game server browser.

I still think the move is stupid, and their excuses are, if anything, even MORE stupid, but I don't expect the resourceful PC community to be thwarted by this move. Lots of other games have private/dedicated servers that aren't officially supported.I also wouldn't be surprised if IW made use of private/dedicated servers other than IWNet against the terms of use of the game, though.

Here's an attempt at defending the decision. I heartily disagree with every point.

http://www.fourzerotwo.com/?p=745

As I've said many times: Simplifying things is not always good. Sometimes complexity is preferable when it is accompanied by more choices.

snwbrdr435

LocAL_anarchy wrote:Not sure if it is legit or not, but from what I have read, the Best Buy in Scranton, PA is having an unusual midnight release celebration. It appears that those who are waiting to purchase the game will be able to pass the time until midnight by playing laser tag against the Pennsylvania National Guard.
Thats pretty sweet

otterman

MinisterofDOOM wrote:As I've said many times: Simplifying things is not always good. Sometimes complexity is preferable when it is accompanied by more choices.
Mad Wisdom ITT

Hijacker
'94 F-150

MinisterofDOOM wrote:I'm assuming someone will rig up a "private IWNet" that will appear to clients as IWNet, and therefore will be browsable through the in-game server browser.

I still think the move is stupid, and their excuses are, if anything, even MORE stupid, but I don't expect the resourceful PC community to be thwarted by this move. Lots of other games have private/dedicated servers that aren't officially supported.I also wouldn't be surprised if IW made use of private/dedicated servers other than IWNet against the terms of use of the game, though.

Here's an attempt at defending the decision. I heartily disagree with every point.

http://www.fourzerotwo.com/?p=745

As I've said many times: Simplifying things is not always good. Sometimes complexity is preferable when it is accompanied by more choices.
Robert Bowling (FourZeroTwo) has been acting as a company windbag for IW throughout this whole ordeal. I was initially pissed that IW canned having hardened editions for the PC crowd. Plenty of people complained on the official boards, but none of the community staff there said a single word about it. Bowling is the community staff manager, so it's a complete ball drop on his part IMO. I eventually just wrote it off as Activision pulling a stunt as they typically do.

Then the IW.net fiasco hit the other day. Bowling has been defending the decision to go this route ever since the news was broken. His points are only partly valid as most spin is. If IW wasn't treating the PC community as imbeciles who barely know how to turn their computer on, news like this would probably go smoother. Also, announcing it less than a month from launch was a pretty bonehead move as well.

With IW.net, now they can create new "servers" as needed without having the run the cost of maintaining unused dedi servers. I can agree from a fiscal standpoint that it's a good move. However, the implementation is all wrong IMO. I would like to see dedi servers mixed in with IW.net. IW is trying to launch their own version of Battle.net, but they forgot that players can set up private matches/realms and run custom user maps. Now, Bowling has mentioned private matches can be set up on IW.net, but I have no clue if this will just make that map rotation available only to particular people who know the passwords to get in or what. I like the current setup as I have a few favorited servers I hop on to play hardcore sabotage. I'm not a member of those clans, but I can still play there.

I've heard the comparison to Steam a few times as IW.net is going to use VAC instead of PunkBuster. I'm all for VAC. I love VAC. However, Valve uses VAC with a very well designed Dedi server list. MW1's sever list was clunky to say the least, and a lack of a friend's list on the PC side really killed the feeling on community within the game itself. DICE and Valve will always have IW beat in that arena.

The last point I want to make is that Bowling has said multiple times that they listen to the community before and after they implement features like this. I occasionally peruse the IW boards, but I never saw anything about IW.net being ran by the community, nor did I see a general outcry of wanting a system like IW.net on the PC side. However, if you go to the boards now, every other thread is a bash thread about IW.net. An online petition against it is up to 136,000 signatures. While that may seem a bit arbitrary, that many signatures should at least make a head nod.
MTV Multiplayer Blog wrote:"'Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2' is actually the biggest investment Infinity Ward has ever made into the PC version of our games," he wrote on his FourZeroTwo blog. "It’s also the most feature-rich PC version we’ve ever made. IWNET takes the benefits of dedicated servers and allows them to be utilized and accessed by every player, out of the box, while removing the barrier to entry for players unaware of how to maintain a server on their own."
What Bowling's quote reads as: 1 - people are too stupid to run their own servers, so we want to do it for them.2 - We implemented features into this game that Treyarch did or we should have put in previous editions of CoD3 - Biggest investment in that instead of porting out a PC version to console, we ported a console game to the PC.

Rebuttal:1 - We're not stupid. There are usually 13,000+ servers running on CoD4 right now (granted a bunch of them are empty). The PC community has been running dedi servers for a VERY LONG TIME now. I think we can handle it. It's not a barrier for a PC player to access a dedi list and choose a server to play on.2 - Friends list. The year 2000 called and wanted to congratulate IW for catching up.3 - The PC community is getting a ported console game, as well as being denied the opportunity to purchase limited editions of the game. We're also having to deal with not being able to play community created content. The only investment I see is that they're investing in a way to piss off their user base.

Hijacker
'94 F-150

Time Edwards, Editor PC Gamer wrote:Why I signed the Modern Warfare 2 Dedicated Server Petition; And why you should, too.

By Tim Edwards

20-Oct-2009

The news that Modern Warfare 2 will not include code for dedicated multiplayer servers, instead relying on a yet to be revealed, peer-to-peer matchmaking service called IW.net, hasn't gone down well. At the last glance, 90,000 gamers had signed a petition asking for dedicated server support to be reinstated. Those gamers are right. I've signed the same petition, and I think you should, too. Here's why.

A dedicated server is a PC usually held within a bank of computers belonging to a private company or the game's own publisher. Dedicated server hosts have been part of PC gaming for decades; I think you can attribute some of the rise of multiplayer games like Counter-Strike and Call of Duty directly to their work.

Why?

1) Dedicated server hosts are judged by their reliability. If a server crashes, or an internet connection goes down, the gamers paying to host the game will complain, and they'll start to move elsewhere. This economic motivation forces server hosts to constantly improve their hardware, their internet connection, and their management tools. Compare that to the peer-to-peer networking that Infinity Ward developers are proposing, where the quality of the game will be entirely dependant on the gamer's own home web connection.

2) Dedicated servers are fair. Want to know why that player always seems to get the drop on you when you're playing Call of Duty on Xbox 360? It might be because he's the host of the game. In combat, data has to be bounced from his console, to yours, and back again, for you to impact on the game. Meanwhile, he doesn't have to wait on the round trip - he can fire as soon as he's ready. Hosts always have an advantage in peer-to-peer networked games.

3) Dedicated servers are adaptable. We don't know the details of what InfinityWard.net will offer, but there's little chance that the tickbox customisation options usually available to players in peer-to-peer matchmaking setups can match the level of control dedicated servers offer. That can include, but not be limited to: competitive players who run their own specific rulesets, to the spectator mode mods, to machinima friendly sets, to the expanded player counts, to the custom maps. That evolution of content is key to extending a PC game's lifespan, and improving that game. Enabling the community to host the mods and maps they choose is a good thing. Entire game development businesses have been built from gamers hosting dedicated servers for popular, low key games. Guys like Splash Damage (Enemy Territory, Brink), Tripwire Interactive (Red Orchestra, Killing Floor) simply wouldn't be around were it not for gamers putting up their own cash to pay for dedicated servers.

4) Dedicated servers create community. Don't think of them as a piece of hardware. Think of them as a place. PC Gamer hosts servers for Team Fortress 2, Killing Floor, and yes, Modern Warfare. We have plenty of regulars who are looking forward to playing Modern Warfare 2 together. If we had dedicated server code, we would definitely host our own place - it's good for our readers, and it's good to create magazine loyalty. Every month, we'll join the servers to play with them. We don't have to swap friends contacts, or pray that our skill levels will broadly match. We just double click the server, and we're playing together. PC Gamer isn't alone - communities worldwide love hosting servers for their members. Peer-to-peer matchmaking stops that happening. Now, that specific group of fans simply can't play together. Even worse, without dedicated servers we can't enforce our 'don't be a ***' policy. We can't ban racist or homophobic players, nor can we appoint our own moderators to look after our community when we're not online.

Modern Warfare 2 launches in twenty days. It would be nice to see Infinity Ward demonstrate what advantages InfinityWard.net can offer as soon as possible.

-Tim Edwards

Chaotic_Warlord

So is this just for you PC guys or is this new P2P MP server thing for consoles too? If so this is going to absolutely suck balls. Want to see how well P2P servers don't work, try to play a MP game on OFP:DR. The MP side of the game is so broken because their aren't dedicated servers that it really truly is unplayable.

I guess IW never heard the saying if' it ain't broke, don't fix it. Why on earth would you change the server situation at the last minute. Guess we'll see how well this plays out. I have a feeling that they'll be going back to the old way pretty quick.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I'll take VAC over PunkBuster any day. I HATE punkbuster.

However, as I've pointed out many times over the years: cheating is not always "bad." So only being able to play on official VAC protected servers sucks. Lots of great game modes and mods have evolved out of "cheating."

The Battle.net comparison is an interesting one, especially considering the recent controversy over SC2's lack of LAN support. I love Blizzard but cannot defend that decision on their end either. If I want to play a "cheat" game with other people who also want to cheat, I should be able to. I had more fun in Half Life "cheating" than playing with the legit default settings. Zero-G crowbar tag, infinite ammo, craziness like that just changes the game. As long as everyone's on the same page it's not a bad thing.

Yes, there are strengths to dedicated servers. But those strengths do not come anywhere near balancing out the downsides. I want CONTROL and FREEDOM in my game options. It takes both away from me. Being able to only play straight legit-rules games on official servers really takes the variety of out the game.

IW is making a big mistake because of that one thing. Most people who buy multiplatform games for the PC do so because the PC allows them more options and customization. This entirely locks that out. IW is effectively bringing the PC version of MW2 down to the level of the console versions. So what incentive is there, now, to buy the PC version? They've effectively removed the major selling point of the PC version of the game. It has become really unappealing. Developers need to learn that locking people out of choice is never ever good, even if it comes with positive side effects.

Of course, part of the problem lies with players. They have (and I'm talking people on both sides, the cheaters and the whiny b****es) made cheating such a big issue it has taken precedence over what should be more important issues...like choice. I don't even get a say in whether I care to play on a VAC server with MW2. I HAVE TO. Only choice. But what if I'm neither a cheater or a whiner? In that case I don't need VAC, so it's not doing me any good.

RCA

For any one planning to play MW2 on PC here are your recommended specs

http://modernwarfare247.com/ne...ments

otterman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...edded

Apparently before IW started making MW:2, they fired every single person involved in making MW:1

Hijacker
'94 F-150

It's not that IW let go of their dev team. Grant Collier (The guy being interviewed) was the original head of IW and he left the company after MW1 to go do other projects. Other than that, I think most of the core team remained intact, save their community manager as he was replaced with Robert Bowling.

Return to “Gaming”