off roading?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
grimlin

anyone living in more moutainous regions use the rogue for off roading, i live right up againts the rocky mountains with lots of steep uphill off roading, just wondering how the rogue handles rough terrain?

philipa_240sx

The Rogue would probably be fine on the occasional dirt path or maybe a rocky logging road. But the lack of a low range for the AWD, a lock mode that is functional at all speeds (the Rogue's disables the AWD lock above 10-15mph), and protective skid plates for the oil pan, rear diff, and fuel tank rules out any serious rock crawling. Also keep in mind the Rogue uses a clutch mounted in the rear axle to engage the AWD vary the F/R torque split. The demands of off-roading may cause it to overheat. It has a fail-safe that reverts to 2WD to protect the system... and that could well leave you stranded until it cools down.

I used to off-road with my Pathfinder. I learned 2 things:

1) Never off-road by yourself. You are liable to get stuck or seriously injured and help would be far away.2) Don't off-road unless you are willing to break your vehicle and get it scratched up. Inevitablely it WILL happen.

The Rogue is far too nice a vehicle to beat up on the trail. IMHO if you want to play, buy an old 4x4 truck.

Wannabe08
Car: 2010 SL AWD Wicked Black

I absolutely agree with philipa_240sx.

I live on a mountain five miles from the pavement. Although "Iris" (that's my Rogue's name) has gotten me safely up and down from the house since I got her in January, I sure wouldn't intentionally abuse her. After the snow finally cleared in May the road was in awful shape.

There were so many huge holes there was no way to avoid them which made for a very rough trip home. Thankfully, the US Forest Service just completed fixing their share of the road and we hired a guy to build our road. Now it's smooth sailing.

If I were four wheeling for recreational purposes it would be with my old 72 Ford Bronco - never alone and never without a winch.

On a separate note, it really get's my goat when people "off road" cross country and rip up the landscape. They don't seem to have a clue or care about how much damage and erosion it causes.

philipa_240sx

Tread lightly!

My comments about off-roading came from youthful inexperience. I would be much more prepared now.

Wannabe08
Car: 2010 SL AWD Wicked Black

I think I raised the bar on "youthful inexperience" and doing foolish things. I went to my 30 year class reunion a few years ago and more than one person said "I thought you were dead!".

Phil'sFrontier
Car: Nissan Frontier SE kc 4x4

I would agree with Phil on this one again.. No skids, no off-roading. The factory skids on my Frontier are like pop cans anyway so I would not rely on them either. Beside the Rogue would look funny with a winch in the front.

Return to “Rogue Forum”