OEM Wheel Question - Please Help

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
trdmrk86
Car: Nissan Versa

Hello to all. I love these first gen Altimas, my mom had a '95 and it lasted 17 years and still ran like a champ when we sold it. Now I have a Versa and need your help. My Versa has Steelies and I'm thinking about swapping a set of Aluminum OEM 15" wheels from a first gen Alt. (the wide 5-spoke design). Most of the ones I see on CL are corroded and need sanding etc... My question for you is about the center cap. If it metal too, or just a plated plastic? I need to know if I could sand the center cap to a polished finish. I know I can paint over, but prefer the polished look if I can.

Thanks for your help!

Timothy S
Car: 1998 Nissan Altima GXE, Auto RE4FO4A, KA24DE Engine

While I do not have these wheels, In my experience, You can tell if the caps are plastic by whether they have a metal spring to hold them on. Plastic ones often do and all the wheels on Toyotas and Hondas that I have mounted tires on have had plastic center caps.

trdmrk86
Car: Nissan Versa

You are right. There is a spring, and I got a good look at the back of one on Ebay. They are plastic. Since they match the wheels so well, I'm still curious if the plating is on heavy enough to buff to a shine. If anyone has tried to re-finish these wheels, please chime in.

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”