OEM vs 3rd party parts - specifically front brake kits

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
mvmcali
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

hi All
sorry for such a basic question...but im going to attempt my first ever front brake job on my 2001 qx4... how hard could it be right :biggrin:

regarding oem vs after market parts... first dumb question... how do i know what parts are oem for my car? do i have to get them at dealer or can i buy oem online and at auto parts store? I assume all these years when i was getting my brakes done at my local wheel works , i was getting 3rd party parts?

if I go 3rd party , does anyone have any suggestion for good quality 3rd party front brake rotor/pad kit?

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Buying aftermarket brake pads and rotors is fine as long as the brand is of reputable good quality. I have not had to buy rotors during the 60K miles I have own my '02. They were fairly new, as were the pads, when I bought it used 10+ years ago. The brake pads and shoes I typically buy are Bosch. I've never had an issue using Bosch brakes on any car I've ever owned, including my Pathfinder which I recently did a brake job on.

Some parts like rotors, maybe even pad and shoes, may not have any indication by way of Nissan brand name or OEM name on the part.

Hawairish
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD

Just keep in mind that on these trucks, replacing the rotor requires removing the entire wheel hub assembly from the truck, which means setting up the wheel bearings appropriately. The rotors do not simply come off once the calipers are out of the way. May want to check for videos on the process. It'd be the same as any Nissan truck/suv before 2005, so instructions for a Frontier or Xterra would also suffice; doesn't matter 2wd or 4wd, same work.

mvmcali

thanks for the heads up. i did watch a video , getting the hubs off definitely seems like a bit of work.

do i simply reuse the same bearings and seals or should I plan on replacing them? I have 150k miles on my 2001 Qx4, i do remember having the bearings replaced along the way but what about those seals?

also is it reasonable to be able to get the bearings seated accurately enough doing this as a backyard project with basic tools?

Hawairish

You can reuse the bearings. Sometimes it's nice to clean them out and regrease them, but also not a requirement. Just be sure to keep debris out of the area when you swap the rotor.

You can do the work at home, but without a suitable adapter to check the initial lock tightening torque before backing it off, you have to rely on feeling things out. In the end, it's not the torque that matters as much as it ensuring that you've backed-off the nut to both allow for free rotation, but not made it too loose on the bearings. You may also need to be creative when it comes to removing and tightening the lock nut. I use a small drift and a hammer to do both; hasn't failed me before.

And if you don't have the Factory Service Manual (FSM) handy, download things here: https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals. Info you need for the hub work is in the Front and Rear Axle (AX) chapter; Brake System (BR) is a the other chapter you'll want.

mvmcali

thanks. i appreciate the practical advice. I have a degree in engineering and have a pretty good knack for mechanical stuff but i don't under estimate my ability to F up something I dont have experience with :)

but I do think it would be cool to start doing some of my own auto repair. BTW - what is your opinion on parts ? the QX4 is over 20 years old but still runs great but i do want to be realistic on what I spend on it. is it worth buying OEM / Dealer parts or should I buy amazon 3rd party pad/rotor kits that have good reviews?

Hawairish

The FSM is your friend. If you're mechanically inclined, it'll tell you nearly everything you need to know.

As far as parts go...me, personally, I just buy what's affordable. Not too cheap, not too expensive. Usually it's aftermarket "Daily Driver" parts from RockAuto. I rarely buy OEM; I usually can't justify the price, there's no warranty (unless maybe if you buy it direct from your local dealer), and I have little reason to believe most aftermarket parts can't/won't perform to OEM standards (and they'll have a warranty). I'll only buy from Amazon if I need it sooner than RA can deliver (slow), and if it's not a completely generic/off-brand (I usually only look for parts that RA sells). I don't bother looking locally; seldom in stock, always way overpriced.

Specifically for brakes, no real recommendations. I wouldn't let user reviews weigh in much. Stuff like that is totally subjective; I mean, of course fresh pads and rotors are going to show improvement unless things were installed incorrectly. RA has several rotor/pad kits, but limited drum/shoe kit options to choose from, but I usually just a la carte that stuff anyway.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”