OEM Roof Crossbars Spacing

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
Pardito007
Car: 2011 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

I need to install a bike rack , "Yakima Front Loader" but found out that roof crossbars are spaced too close apart and too far towards the back, only 19" apart and can't not be repositioned.
Question I have is if I could just drill new holes to the roof rails and reposition the crossbars. Your advise and suggestions are welcome.
Thank you

meanie
Car: G37, EX35

The narrow spacing and inability to adjust those bars is one of my pet peeves about the car. I took mine off and was contemplating repositioning via drilling, but if I recall correctly the spacing between the rails is not uniform back to front, so I abandoned that idea. But maybe I am misremembering. Anybody else give this a try?

CustomLowz
Car: 2011 Infiniti EX35

I'm sure you can go to Thule or Yakima and get crossbars that can be adjusted forwards or backwards. They would clip onto the rails and not screw into them like the OEM bars.

zarafanm
Car: 2012 Infiniti EX35 AWD

New to this thread. Recently purchased a 2012 EX35 with low miles and want to go biking (mountain and road) around beautiful NM. U-Haul tried to install a trailer hitch but it caused problems with the exhaust system and they had to remove it. A long, sad story dealing with horrible customer service (they actually blamed the car). Ordered and installed OEM crossbars and have a Frontloader that I have put up there with my bike. Feels solid but worried if it gets moving too much that it could shear away the crossbars and/or rails.

Any successes or failures? Just want to go cycling.

Thanks, Walter

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”