OEM Halogen Headlights to OEM Xenon Headlights Conversion

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
Redbeauty84ZX

Is it possible to install the OEM Xenon ballasts, bulbs, and igniters in the factory headlight housing and wiring harness of a halogen equiped EX35? Wanting to upgrade to Xenons and stay as OEM as possible. Thanks!

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

I think it's possible, but definitely not plug-n-play (unless you actually buy the Xenon headlight assemblies). I'm not sure how knowledgeable you are about lighting modifications, but at least to me it appears that it may take a bit of work to get the OEM Xenon components both integrated with the halogen assemblies and keeping a stock looking appearance.

It looks like the factory headlight housings would need an adapter or have to be modified to take a D2S bulb instead of the H11 Halogen bulb. I would think that OEM ballasts and igniters could be used as well, but they may require some custom wiring work or having a harness built. I haven't personally seen the OEM ballasts and igniters, but the ballast might acutally be mounted outside of the headlight housings.

I don't know which model year you have, but I'd start looking at the exterior lighting section (EXL pdf file) in the factory service manual to get a better idea of what you're dealing with. And if you haven't already done so, you may want to check with some automotive lighting modification shops in your area. I'm sure they'd do a much better job of answering your questions than I could. You can also check out the forums on HIDplanet.com.

Most of us here who have done a DIY HID install have used an aftermarket plug and play HID kit due to ease of installation. There may be one or two members who have gone through the process of removing and taking apart their headlight assemblies themselves. And a while back, I think another one or two guys here have had their headlights upgraded by a custom vehicle lighting outfitter.

Redbeauty84ZX

Thanks for the reply. I read elsewhere on the forum that the wiring harnesses were the same for the Xenon and Halogen cars. If that's the case then I would think could use the OEM ballasts and igniters and then use an H11 Xenon bulb. The ballasts mount on the back of the xenon headlight, i'm not sure if there is a bracket on the halogen headlights for this.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”