OEM Brake Squeal 2012 M37

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
jrecufan
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37
Harbour Blue
Premium Package
Lighted kickplates

Hey folks. I searched a lot of the forum posts and didn't see anything absolutely specific to this but a lot of similarities.

My 2012 M37 brakes have had the "stop light stop squeal" ever since I've owned it. I've mentioned it a few times to my dealer only for them to say "all brakes squeal".

I constantly come to a stop in traffic next to Hondas, Acuras, Lexus, Mercedes, etc and don't hear their brakes squeal. I simply cannot believe Infiniti cannot build a $50k car that doesn't sound like an old Dodge rolling up to the red light. Frankly, it's embarrassing.

What are you guys' thoughts? I really want to tell my dealer to just fix it. But are they right? Do I just have to live with this? I owned an 2004 Acura TL for 7 years and never had this - matter of fact I don't remember this on any of my Acuras or Hondas.

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks

John

svard75
Car: 06 M35x

Have them machine the disks and change the pads to semi metallic.

ranman0

I have a 2012 M37 and mine have never squealed. Dealer is full of BS if they said all brakes squeal.

jrecufan
Harbour Blue
Premium Package
Lighted kickplates

That's what I thought. Thanks for the feedback - really appreciated! I'm going to talk to my dealer.

One question - I'm pretty much a car tech rookie. MSVARA - you indicated to request semi-metallic pads. So what came on the car and why semi-metallic? Any cons to these?

Again - really appreciate the feedback.

svard75

jrecufan wrote:That's what I thought. Thanks for the feedback - really appreciated! I'm going to talk to my dealer.

One question - I'm pretty much a car tech rookie. MSVARA - you indicated to request semi-metallic pads. So what came on the car and why semi-metallic? Any cons to these?

Again - really appreciate the feedback.
I tried oem and could not get rid of the squealing no matter what I did. I switched to ceramic pads and they chewed through a set of very expensive DBA discs. I then machined the oem discs and installed semi metalic pads and no more noise. My point is forget oem and try aftermarket. I do my own work so it's cheap for me to change out my own pads. It's very easy to do yourself. Just need a few minor tools and time.

jrecufan
Harbour Blue
Premium Package
Lighted kickplates

Thanks for the info MSVARA. I'm afraid I would never have the ability to change out my own brakes. I envy those who can. But I appreciate the feedback. There's a lot of info out there and it's hard to know who to trust. But forums with real owner feedback is always the best source.

svard75

Unfortunately your at a catch 22. You can be persistent with the dealer or try another dealer or you can take it to Midas or Sears and have them swap the pads for oem semis. The squeal will go away, only issue is brake dust and if you're concerned with fade from driving down mountain roads etc. if you choose to get the pads swapped ensure they turn the discs and clean the hub and disc mating surfaces. Squeal is due to uneven surface to pad wear and when you apply brakes it makes the pads skip causing the noise.

m4m
Car: 2009 M35S

Subject: SB Infiniti; Brake Noise/Judder/Pedal Feel Diagnosis and Repair
Summary of ITB00024:
SERVICE INFORMATION - This bulletin is to assist you in responding to customer questions about brake operation, and provides diagnostic and repair information for each item listed, if any should occur. - Most brake issues fall into the following categories: a. Brake Noise: A squeak, squeal, clunk, or groan that occurs when the brakes are applied or released. b. Brake Judder: A vibration that can be felt in the vehicle, steering wheel, or brake pedal when the brakes are applied. SERVICE PROCEDURE 1. Verify the condition by road testing the vehicle with the customer. 2. Determine the specific brake issue based on the description in the Service Information above. 3. Follow the appropriate repair procedure(s), listed on the following pages, for your specific issue. See this bulletin for further details.

HTH

merlinq2
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35x

Thought I would chime in here.
Any time I change pads or rotors I make sure that I bed in the pads and the rotors. This bonds material from the pads to the rotor and gives both surfaces a nice smooth finish. I have found that you can almost always correct brake judder by using the bedding in process. This process burns off unevenly deposited brake material from the rotors and provides an even surface for more consistent application of the brake pad to the rotor.
This takes care of most juddering, but may not correct over heated and warped rotors. I have had success with brake squeal by doing this as well. These are easy and cheap steps that you can try to better understand what is happening with the brake materials.
Another trick, take you Infiniti to a Nissan shop, they have all the parts and their labour is cheaper. My local Nissan shop does every bit of work that I can not do myself, they save me about 15% versus the Infiniti dealer

jrecufan
Harbour Blue
Premium Package
Lighted kickplates

So a quick update. Took my car back to the Infiniti dealership. Told them my problem. Talked to them a few moments ago and they said all the pads were "glazed". They didn't define what this meant so being the dummy, I googled it and seems a common reason is overheating and warped rotors. That may not be specific to Infiniti but was a general cause. They are replacing all pads and turning the rotors. Additionally the service person told me my back brakes were about ready to be replaced. At 28K miles???? She said the Infiniti M usually had to get new pads - especially on the rear between 26-32k miles. I can see if this were a high performance sports car maybe? I'm just blown away really. My 2004 Acura TL (which was an awesome car) went 5.5 years before I replaced the brakes and it's setup was truly a sport suspension, etc. I know the suspension is not what would create issues with brakes but it was truly, in my opinion, a sports car and I drove it a lot like one.

Anyway - they're footing the bill on it but just has me concerned about the future of the brakes. Starting to wonder about my choice of an Infiniti. But I do love the car.

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

Many members have complained about warping OEM rotors on the M far sooner than expected.
A lot of folks have gone the aftermarket route.

Some of us have had pretty good luck with the Brakemotive kit off Fleabay.
I just bought my second set and have to put 'em on. It's been about 46k and the rear rotors are at 3 mm according to the dealer when I last had my oil changed.

I think the problem is that the brake system overall is kind of weak and the rotors too small for as heavy a car as the M is.

bejjutsu
Car: M35X ('06)

pedsemdoc wrote: I think the problem is that the brake system overall is kind of weak and the rotors too small for as heavy a car as the M is.
Really?? Doesn't the car have some of the best stopping distances in its class?

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

bejjutsu wrote:Really?? Doesn't the car have some of the best stopping distances in its class?
They seem to work well for me, but I think that is the reasoning that some members have given when their OEM rotors have warped or had to be replaced in fewer than 20K miles.

Saaax650
Car: Infiniti M37

I new to this Forum. I bought a used M37 @ 32k miles and now 55K. Did anyone of you feel that OEM rotors warp a bit? I had to resurface rotors twice already. I am done with OEM ones. Just ordered Stop Tech Cryo drilled ones from tire rack. Does anyone has any good experience with good after market pads? I was thinking about sticking with dealer pads.
Thanks a lot in advance

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”