odometer quit working

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
paul1217
Car: 1990 Jimmy

ive got a 96 nissan hardbody and all of a sudden my odometer quit working.ive checked all fuses and all the plugs on the back of the gauge cluster. i know that there is a sensor on the rearend that does the speedo, but does it do the odometer also? im hoping that its not the cluster cause i know that since its jap that itll be expensive.

any other suggestions would be great.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

does your trip meter work too??? If your trip meter works then its probably the cluster... but you can swap out just the odometer/speedo out of your entire cluster.. But a new cluester from a junked vehicle shouldnt be hard to come by very expensive.

paul1217

yeah, the trip and odometer both quit, thats whats so wierd cause youd think that theyd be linked with the speedo. thats why im puzzled. im not totally against a new cluster but i know that on my blazer a re-manned cluster was $160ish plus i dont wanna change the milage on the odometer. im not totally against it, just kinda hesitant

any other ideas?

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

IM sure your speedo works fine, your odometer is probably shot... Im sure you could find one easy in a junkyard, someone may have one on NICO.. We see this often on Q45s and J30s, the odometers either work off and on, or dont work at all.....

paul1217

so is the odometer something that i can swap out without having to swap out the whole cluster?

amd what the heck would make it go out? you would think that it would be part o the same sensor that picks up the speed.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”