Odometer not working

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
240-newbe
Car: 90 Nissan 240SX SE

My odometer protion of the speedometer stop working. It first it would come and go now it's completly died. What do I need to get it working again? Is there more then one cable/wire ? One for the speedometer and one for the odometer?

ricebike
Car: 1989 240sx se 5spd (donated to my brother in law)
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

i think it's a problem w/ the plastic gears inside the cluster; i know that the plastic gears in my "trip odometer" isn't working---but my regular odometer is ok.

when i push the reset button, the 1st and last #s resets to zero

bcar240
Car: 1993 240SX HB

The odometer is connected to the speedometer. As you drive the speedometer sends out a current that varies with speed and that drives a servo motor that spins the gears of the odometer. So the problem could be with the servo motor, the gearing, or the speedo (most likely problems anyway.) I am assuming your speedo works? To get to any of it you will have to take the gauge cluster out. It is not complicated to do, just make sure you pay attention when you break everything apart. I used to have a website that described how to do it, I will look for that, let me know if you need it.
ricebike wrote:i think it's a problem w/ the plastic gears inside the cluster; i know that the plastic gears in my "trip odometer" isn't working---but my regular odometer is ok.

when i push the reset button, the 1st and last #s resets to zero

I bet the problem is that one of the reset "fingers" (for lack of a better word) broke off. When you push the reset it disengages the gearing and these little fingers descend and push the dials around to zero. It is easy to understand when you are looking at it. But, as to my knowledge, unless you rig somthing custom these arn't fixable except by getting another odometer assembly.

574-240sx
Car: Nissans, Toyotas, Subaru

My trip meter wont reset some times. If it does reset I won't start counting miles for the first few miles. Mine is getting worse. I will just swap cluster if it does happen to break. I have a extra analog cluster just incase.

240-newbe

Yes...Please send me the info.. THANKS!!!!

The odometer is connected to the speedometer. As you drive the speedometer sends out a current that varies with speed and that drives a servo motor that spins the gears of the odometer. So the problem could be with the servo motor, the gearing, or the speedo (most likely problems anyway.) I am assuming your speedo works? To get to any of it you will have to take the gauge cluster out. It is not complicated to do, just make sure you pay attention when you break everything apart. I used to have a website that described how to do it, I will look for that, let me know if you need it.

bcar240
Car: 1993 240SX HB

I finally found it, hidden in my links.http://www.lsauto.com/install.asp That is how to get your dash apart, get the cluster out, and get the speedo out. Once you have the speedo unit out, you can access the odometer. There are a few more screws to take it out. Remember where all these go, some are different lenghts! The odometer might come apart slightly when you remove these screws (not like the numbers falling out or anything.) Just take a good look at how it all goes together (maybe take some pictures) Setting mine back up was a trial and error process cause I didn't remember exactly how the gears connected. When it is apart it is now time to troubleshoot, there is a worm gear from the servo motor that drives a long metal rod with gears on it that turn the trip/odo gears. When it is out, check for wear on the gears and make sure none of the gears have become disconnected and are "freewheeling" on their shafts. Also, even though it is very hard to drive the car with the steering column dropped and the cluster disconnected (I did it at like 2 in the morning) I hooked everything up electrically while it was out of the cluster and put a mark with a sharpie on the worm gear of the servo motor and watched it as I drove around to see if it was moving (turns VERY slow). If it is then there is probably something wrong with the odo gearing, which is a quick swap if you can't fix it, although if you want to fix the milage you gotta turn it a bit (you can turn it backward by hand if you need to correct a replacement) If the servo isn't turning it is either bad, the speedo unit is bad (my problem), or there is something weird with the cluster itself (more rare.) So, it might be easier in the long run to replace the cluster, but you could easily get the odo out of the replacement and reset it if needed. Good luck!

240-newbe

Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it goes when I get around to doing it.

Kpk240
Car: 91 Nissan 240sx le

bcar240 wrote: Also, even though it is very hard to drive the car with the steering column dropped and the cluster disconnected (I did it at like 2 in the morning) I hooked everything up electrically while it was out of the cluster and put a mark with a sharpie on the worm gear of the servo motor and watched it as I drove around to see if it was moving (turns VERY slow). If it is then there is probably something wrong with the odo gearing, which is a quick swap if you can't fix it, although if you want to fix the milage you gotta turn it a bit (you can turn it backward by hand if you need to correct a replacement) If the servo isn't turning it is either bad, the speedo unit is bad (my problem), or there is something weird with the cluster itself (more rare.) So, it might be easier in the long run to replace the cluster, but you could easily get the odo out of the replacement and reset it if needed. Good luck!

Ok so I tried this tonight and if I barely touch the spinning shaft of the motor, it stops completely. Should it be this easy to stop it? I am pretty sure this is the problem. What do you think?

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”