OBX Parts ?

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
S&C cUSTOM rIDES

Anyone use any parts from OBX Racing? How is the quality? http://www.obxracingsports.com/ Looking at the wastegates and the hellfire bov. I have never heard of this company but from the pictures on the site the quality looks decent but looks can be deciptive.

Jabberwocky
Car: 08 Subaru WRX

I have never personally used OBX parts, but have read on different forums that they have quality and fitiment issues. I have learned during my build when it comes to parts you get what you pay for, a little extra for a more expensive part is going to be worth it when you go to install it and everything lines up like it should.

I wouldn't go cheap on something like a BOV or wastegate, you don't want either of those malfunctioning on you.

S&C cUSTOM rIDES

I have been doing some research and have read about the same issues but have not heard from anyone that has actually bought any of their parts. I have also read that some of the parts are produced in the same factory as hks (kinda like the craftsman tools, bluepoint and snapon all being produced by the same company), I just love the look of the hellfire bov but do not want to pay the price of the godzilla bov by turbonetics and was praying someone had something good to say but it seems it will only disapoint me in the end. I just hate to give more of my cash to turbonetics ( they already have my life savings in their bank account ). I do agree and have learned in the past that you get what you pay for. So so sad. I really wanted that, lol.

SiDwAyZ240
Car: 95' SR Slayer, '02 LT Tahoe, '03 Chev Express is the DD

Only thing I got from OBX was a set of black radiator hoses. I really wanted black and Samco wanted $100, and the OBX were $50. I had to trim about 1" off each end on both hoses to keep them from kinking but other than that they worked fine and look great.

neverlift

in 2000 when they were only a few ebay suppliers, I bought a tb spacer for a civic for my gf it didnt fit and I never gave obx another look. Heard a lot of bad.

S&C cUSTOM rIDES

Any sugestions on a quality wastegate with budget being the key, I have looked at alot of used ones on here but most can be bought new for a few dollars more. Looking for a 44mm under $300

neverlift

its ebay but I had good results with the emusa I had on the car. Its going back on one day.

S&C cUSTOM rIDES

I have read a few posts here on emusa and most are positive, what concerns me is trying to be budget minded but not buying a cheap part that fails and blows everything. If I were wealthy it wouldnt e a concern but like most I am not and am looking for quality cheap. I guess as the saying goes quality isnt cheap. However I once had a rod bolt fail (name brand) and it was devistating. Its all a gamble but looking for input from others as to what way to go. Some times the cheap stuff ends up being better than the expensive due to name brands and advertising costs. I will look at emusa to see what they have to offer, thanks neverlift.

neverlift

I have had brand name stuff fail.. just saying.

dont skimp on turbo,fuel,tuning. If a wastegate failure is a concern work with an internal, mine does 10psi(14 on occasion), with no issues.
If you buy from ebay generally buy the cheapest one, its all coming from china/Taiwan.

SiDwAyZ240
Car: 95' SR Slayer, '02 LT Tahoe, '03 Chev Express is the DD

Building a car is always trial and error. What works for you never works the exact same way for someone else. I have brand name that have failed, and knock offs that are great and the other way around. Just got to give it a try, but it's been my experience you have a 50/50 chance no matter the brand. It's going to work or it isn't, don't know till you try.

nhonda5185
Car: 1992 240sx

I have had obx headers, exhaust products and a few other parts but none with a Nissan, this is when i had Honda/Acura cars. They did the job and never had a problem with any of there stuff. fitment or performance wise. If i was to use obx things though i would not get them off ebay. Get them from the actual site. and i wouldnt get that for anything as important as a wastegate or anything!

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

EMUSA sells balanced turbo's on E Bay and their main store. Most other knock off brands are not balanced, I can't find anyone that has received a balanced turbo from any other store on E Bay. If I were to buy some cheap items, I would use EMUSA.

They receive the WD seal of approval. I was actually looking at their 2870 actually for my S14.

http://www.speedyracer.com/

keepitsimplestupid
Car: 91 240sx

I use their Aluminum V-band assemblies they seem good to me??

GTR PrYdE
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX, 2003 Evolution VIII

S&C cUSTOM rIDES wrote:Any sugestions on a quality wastegate with budget being the key, I have looked at alot of used ones on here but most can be bought new for a few dollars more. Looking for a 44mm under $300
Do not skimp on a wastegate, if it fails closed your engine is toast. I got a used tial 38mm for around 150 with several springs, however finding a used 44mm under 300 shouldn't be an issue. Your bov choice.. what tuning option are you going with? That bov is going to make driveability suck with a suck-thru maf, and blow-thru on a plastic maf seems just as bad. Check out the ebay parts thread to see what works best.

S&C cUSTOM rIDES

GTR PrYdE wrote:
S&C cUSTOM rIDES wrote:Any sugestions on a quality wastegate with budget being the key, I have looked at alot of used ones on here but most can be bought new for a few dollars more. Looking for a 44mm under $300
Do not skimp on a wastegate, if it fails closed your engine is toast. I got a used tial 38mm for around 150 with several springs, however finding a used 44mm under 300 shouldn't be an issue. Your bov choice.. what tuning option are you going with? That bov is going to make driveability suck with a suck-thru maf, and blow-thru on a plastic maf seems just as bad. Check out the ebay parts thread to see what works best.
I am not running a MAF, Using an ms3 standalone cop setup. I agree with you, better go with the good than chance and lose.

WDRacing

Build a diy overboost protector. If the boost spikes do to ANY number of things, the overboost switch kills the spark or fuel, whichever you choose. Saves the motor every time.

neverlift

he has ms3 he should be able to tune in overboost protection very easily.

15 psi blow through here... however that required some modification to the maf :gapteeth:

so wd emusa turbos are balanced? cool how about the material quality? I got a buddy wanting to go kat but we cant find any cheap used turbos.Everyone wants the 40 dollar deal like I got for my garrett, but they are not out there anymore :ohno:

WDRacing

I have a friend over there, he confirms that they are balanced. The tell tale is the grinding done on the shaft head. Most other Chinese knock-offs don't have any balancing marks at all, these are the ones that fail very quickly. I'd still run an oil restrictor though regardless of company.

As far as material quality goes, I can't see a company bothering to balance a turbo with inferior materials in the bushing area etc. But that's just speculation on my part.

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”