Obama/Romney on Science

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Marenta wrote:I love science fields, it's the only area of investigation that TRIES to prove itself wrong. How awesome is that?

Could you imagine a lawyer doing that? Hilarious!
Or a politician? :rolleyes:

This is, after all, the Politics forum at NICO. :chuckle:

bigbadberry3

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

No, they seem to be serious. That guy needs a big bang, upside the head with a 6th grade science book. HEAL THIS MAN, WHACK!

bigbadberry3

themadscientist wrote:No, they seem to be serious. That guy needs a big bang, upside the head with a 6th grade science book. HEAL THIS MAN, WHACK!
He's a doctor....

themadscientist

I'm a scientist....

stebo0728
Car: 1993 300ZX, White, T-Top

This guy is an idiot. Get him off the science committee and put him on the white house janitorial committee.

s0m3th1ngAZ
Car: 96' Miata
2014 Focus ST

themadscientist

what screw exactly is loose in the heads of guys like this?

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

themadscientist wrote:what screw exactly is loose in the heads of guys like this?
It is, indeed, just amazing to think that people like this are in such positions. Unbelievable ... :mad: :tisk: :mad:

Z

themadscientist

The funny thing and I mean funny like when you watch a horrific video of an accident and the way the guy dies is ironic or gymnastic, not actually humorous funny, the Taliban would agree with this guy. He's probably for beating rebelious wives in the public square too.

s0m3th1ngAZ
Car: 96' Miata
2014 Focus ST

AppleBonker
Car: Useful: 2011 Black Nissan Titan Pro-4x
Daily: 2003 Accord EX-L Coupe
Hers: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

lulz
Rep. Mauch wrote:Nowhere in the Holy Bible have I found a word of condemnation for the operation of slavery, Old or New Testament. If slavery was so bad, why didn’t Jesus, Paul or the prophets say something?
You know, I've struggled with this question myself. Though I think I'm coming from a different angle...

themadscientist

Well, the civil war was mostly about states rights, that's true. It was unfortunate that the right the southern states chose to champion was the institution of slavery. I don't find it unusual that the bible doesn't speak out against the practice. It is filled with reprehensible things from 1000 years ago so it's true to form.

stebo0728

The civil war was about more than just state's rights. It was about emancipation of states just as much or more than it was about emancipation of people. And for the record, I think I've said this before, we call that war "The Civil War", but it was not, by definition, a civil war at all, but in fact a failed war for independence.

I think slavery, in the proper context, has its place in some societies. The type of slavery we had was not proper in any way. And no first world society like ours has any form of context that would condone any type of slavery.

themadscientist

The subject of nullification was the real issue and the ensuing conflict over the rights of states to decide their fates ant the federal government compelling them to stay in the union at the end of a gun. I like your characterization as a failed war of independence; that's exactly what it was.

As far as slavery, no, in no context is that acceptable in a civilized society. Got to let you walk that path on your own.

stebo0728

No I agree, in a civilized society it has no place. Not every culture on our planet, even today, is civilized. Many african tribes still employ slavery, and its a necessary function for how they operate. Some Im sure abuse it, some Im sure have even worse models then the one we had. But I don't think a blanket NO stamp on any and all forms of slavery is rightly placed. The circumstances for its legitimacy live in a very very thin portion of the moral spectrum, but I do think there is at least SOME place for it, in non civilized cultures.

themadscientist

Normally, I will play the intellectual and argue that morals and values are culturally subjective and any "truth" we ascribe to them is simply by mutual agreement, not any basis in demonstrable fact, but I'm going to indulge in a selfish philosophical punt on this one and say it's wrong 100% of the time. I will need you to drink the kool aid and pretend that is an inpenetrable argument. ;)

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

themadscientist wrote:I will need you to drink the kool aid and pretend that is an inpenetrable argument. ;)
:rotfl

Return to “Politics Etc.”