Obama continues to pull ahead in delegate race

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Rick Damone Jr wrote:To be honest I dont really like any of the candidates. This country would be much better off with bush as president for 4 more years..
Why, so oil prices can get to $200 a barrel and the US dollar can turn into Italian lira???? I can't wait till $1000 will buy me a coke

Bush and his administration has been one of the worst in history. That's what history will write. Remember back to his first few years when he took more vacation days than work days?? This was just the beginning...The comment that really made me a Bush hater was his recent little smug remark on how he "hadn't heard" that gas prices are expected to hit $4 a gallon. Remember, his family is a Texas oil family with ties to Saudi Arabia....They're elated by the cost of oil and the dwindling dollar.

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

audtatious wrote:
He supports it, proposed it and it's bad legislation. I don't care if it is stuck in committee or not. If he proposed it in order to get "points" while knowing it would never pass than I have issues with that as well (wasting our govt's time with BS).

I would address more about Obama but I'm OTR and don't have time....
Fortunately, we have a congress to protect us from (many) Presidential screw-ups. Unfortunately, everyone is fallible.

I agree that that particular legislation seems to be yet another example, albeit it different, of a president (or candidate) trying to save the world.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

joe603 wrote:
Why, so oil prices can get to $200 a barrel and the US dollar can turn into Italian lira???? I can't wait till $1000 will buy me a coke

Bush and his administration has been one of the worst in history. That's what history will write. Remember back to his first few years when he took more vacation days than work days?? This was just the beginning...The comment that really made me a Bush hater was his recent little smug remark on how he "hadn't heard" that gas prices are expected to hit $4 a gallon. Remember, his family is a Texas oil family with ties to Saudi Arabia....They're elated by the cost of oil and the dwindling dollar.
Oh come on. I agree he has done some stupid stuff I don't support but the "Texas Oil" rhetoric is kinda old. You really think the price of oil today has nothing to do with the additional supply requirements of Russia, China and others? He has done nothing different from what other Presidents have done in the past. Adjusted for inflation, the price per gallon of gas is still lower than what it was in the 80's.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

rn79870 wrote:
Fortunately, we have a congress to protect us from (many) Presidential screw-ups. Unfortunately, everyone is fallible.

I agree that that particular legislation seems to be yet another example, albeit it different, of a president (or candidate) trying to save the world.
Congress is not going to protect us because they are catering to those same movements. Congress is going to do absolutely nothing but allow continual spending and higher taxes (expiration of tax cuts AND, if Obama/Hillary get in office, there will be MORE taxes added to "The Collective"). With more taxes I guess they can press more people to rely on the Gov't which helps press forth more social agenda.

Slippery Slope? Maybe. Still not something I look forward to paying out of my damn pocket.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Comes down to a fundamental difference of opinion on how to stimulate an economy:

GOP: More tax breaks for big business to stimulate hiring, expansion, research and additional expenditures, as well as tax breaks for the wealthiest Americans to increase big-ticket purchases which are good for the econ.

DEM: Tax the upper middle-class into oblivion, develop another government program to assess / evaluate / remedy the gap between the haves and the have-nots, pummel big business with taxes so that they hoard and scrimp and layoff (which Dems then oppose with Unions), and create new and unique ways to create handouts and safety nets for people without the foresight or good discipline to think ahead.

It'll never change, and I'd bet money it's as simple as a correlation between right-brain and left-brain thinking.

Personally, I'd prefer to make my own way, and don't need ANY government participation.

rn79870

AZhitman wrote:Comes down to a fundamental difference of opinion on how to stimulate an economy:

GOP: More tax breaks for big business to stimulate hiring, expansion, research and additional expenditures, as well as tax breaks for the wealthiest Americans to increase big-ticket purchases which are good for the econ.
Unfortunately, those big ticket items are 200+ foot yachts and private jets.Doesn't really help do much to stimulate the American economy. Any tax break is needed by the class that will never get it, the mid income wage earners. They're the ones who would stimulate the economy.
AZhitman wrote:DEM: Tax the upper middle-class into oblivion, develop another government program to assess / evaluate / remedy the gap between the haves and the have-nots, pummel big business with taxes so that they hoard and scrimp and layoff (which Dems then oppose with Unions), and create new and unique ways to create handouts and safety nets for people without the foresight or good discipline to think ahead.
Like $600 gifts to the masses from the current administration. Then turn around and make everyone add it in as income on their 2008 1040. Wait until people realize what the costs of that "free" $600 ends up being.

HashiriyaS14
Car: 95 S14, 08 CL9, 08 NPS50, 03 Ninja 250, '60 Super Cub

Oddly, whilst everyone else is lamenting the quality of the 3 current political candidates, I don't really have a huge problem with any of them.

They are all more socially moderate than Bush, and all more in favor of seperation of church and state than he is, which I regard as a positive.

All are fiscal liberals, but Bush is far from a fiscal conservative, so I regard this as a wash. Rather than spending money on fighting wars and nonsensical dollar-deflating "stimulus" packages we'll spend it on healthcare for the unemployed. Both options suck, but I don't think that either one sucks more than the other.

No presidential candidate is going to get these huge sweeping reforms passed like a federal ban on concealed carry or whatever in 4 years, it won't happen.

As long as someone gets in there, mends ties with the UN and the International community, makes investments in energy sources other than foreign oil, and throws a couple of pro WvD justices on the bench, I'll be happy.

We're in debt up to our eyeballs and the dollar is plummeting. Now is not the time for economy-wide bailouts. If we're going to have a recession in order to stabilize inflation and our currency, then so f**king be it.

audtatious

rn79870 wrote:
Unfortunately, those big ticket items are 200+ foot yachts and private jets.Doesn't really help do much to stimulate the American economy. Any tax break is needed by the class that will never get it, the mid income wage earners. They're the ones who would stimulate the economy.
So what? It's their money that they made. Companies will do what they need to in order to keep their profit levels at an adequate level. If overall operating expense grows then they will stop hiring, lower R&D and potentially look for other countries that will be more friendly to them making a buck. Increasing taxes on the rich and increasing corporate tax levels WILL hurt the economy.

Can you tell me exactly what "rich" means? I have seen everything from those making $40k+ to those making 250k+ to 500k+. Everyone has a different perception of what rich really is. My 22yo daughter thinks I'm rich because I can afford to buy things that she can't.
rn79870 wrote:Like $600 gifts to the masses from the current administration. Then turn around and make everyone add it in as income on their 2008 1040. Wait until people realize what the costs of that "free" $600 ends up being.
Which is BS. Let the economy fix itself. $600 is still a VERY minute drop in the bucket when it comes to increased taxes for everyone and the continual ear marks that are pressed forth.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

rn79870 wrote:Wait until people realize what the costs of that "free" $600 ends up being.
If you're talking purely tax liability, then for me and my family, it's about $45.

AZhitman
Administrator

Those yachts and private jets are assembled, manufactured, maintained, transported and operated by the working poor and the middle class.

More jobs.

NismoDriver240
Car: 2005 STi

Rick Damone Jr wrote:A vote for obama is a vote for osama, seriously. We dont need a racist democrat muslim as president, especially now when islam is at war with the west.

you call obama racist, yet you compare him to osama simply because of his religion? i can't see how you're up to 165 posts without being banned.

this thread will eventually spin out of control, politically and religiously, especially with your nonsense...

ibtl

Rick Damone Jr

NismoDriver240 wrote:

you call obama racist, yet you compare him to osama simply because of his religion? i can't see how you're up to 165 posts without being banned.

this thread will eventually spin out of control, politically and religiously, especially with your nonsense...

ibtl
The truth hurts lol. I wont get into religion because its against the rules, but theres no way in hell obama hussien will get elected. America isnt that stupid.

Sil40_Mayhem
Car: 1995 240SX 5spd/1992 Integra LS

Rick Damone Jr wrote: America isnt that stupid.
Yet we (and I use 'we' with a sense of irony) elected, then re-elected Bush.

Rick Damone Jr

Sil40_Mayhem wrote:Yet we (and I use 'we' with a sense of irony) elected, then re-elected Bush.
Bush is actually the best president we've had in a long time, you leftys dont understand

rn79870

Rick Damone Jr wrote:
Bush is actually the best president we've had in a long time, you leftys dont understand
What would you say his greatest accomplishment has been in the last 7 years?

AZhitman
Administrator

I'd say the dismantling of the Taliban regime in Afghanistan (interestingly, Lefties don't take issue with Afghanistan's horrid abuses of human rights) and most of the al-Qaida terrorlst network....

Free elections in Palestine, Egypt, Ukraine and Saidi Arabia, as well as the withdrawal of Syria from Lebanon (and now free elections there too).

Planting the seeds of democracy and freedom in the Middle East, as evidenced by a free Arab press, protections for women, punishments for men who abuse women, and a near end to the imprisonment and torture of political opponents in those countries.

Certainly not HUGE, perhaps, but other presidents have accomplished FAR less.

History will have its way with men.

NismoDriver240

rn79870 wrote:
What would you say his greatest accomplishment has been for the US in the last 7 years?

is that better? cuz quite frankly, i couldnt give 2 sh1ts about other countries, thats why I live here, in America

Rick Damone Jr

Bush is a strong opposer of the evils of islam and terrorism. Since the war on terror, we have had exactly 0 terrorlst attacks in the US. I thank bush for keeping us safe.

Not only is our country more safe, but so are iraqis.

NismoDriver240

well how many terrorlst attacks were on the US before bush? he was just in office when it happened, that doesn't mean it is him thats keeping us safe, it just means he was in the right place atthe right time

i dont see this going on:

confedup
Car: 240sx

There was the first attack on the WTC in 1993, the attack on the USS Cole (US property), attacks on US Embassies (considered US soil), etc. Maybe the Govt should have done more to protect us against future attack at that time? Oh yeah, that's right, there were some missles lobbed at a pharmaceutical factory. Maybe it did happen at 3am and Billy let Hillary press the red button?

Return to “Politics Etc.”