NY GUN INSURANCE BILL

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... 1m-insura/

A bill introduced in the New York State Assembly by Assemblyman Felix Ortiz, a Democrat, would require the state’s residents to acquire liability insurance as a condition for gun ownership.

“Any person in this state who shall own a firearm shall, prior to such ownership, obtain and continuously maintain a policy of liability insurance in an amount not less than one million dollars specifically covering any damages resulting from any negligent or willful acts involving the use of such firearm while it is owned by such person,” the measure, dubbed S2353, reads.

Any person who has not purchased insurance in compliance with the law within 30 days of its passing would be in violation of the law.

Such an occurrence “shall result in the immediate revocation of such owner’s registration, license and any other privilege to own such firearm.”

The bill also states that if a gun is stolen, the legal owner of that gun is responsible for any damage incurred until a loss or theft is reported to the police department.

Liability insurance for $1 million in coverage for gun owners is estimated to cost between $1,600 and $2,000 annually, the Examiner reports.

The bill has been referred to the Assembly’s Insurance Committee.

Mr. Ortiz represents a district in the New York borough of Brooklyn.
thoughts? comments?

IDK about you guys - but $1,600-$2,000 for the average person is A LOT now a days. This seems to me like the democrats are finding ways to disarm people, without banning guns outright.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

If I'm a normal 2A supporting American living in NY then I'm running as fast as possible out of that state. Same goes for CA.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

biggie wrote:If I'm a normal 2A supporting American living in NY then I'm running as fast as possible out of that state. Same goes for CA.
i live in NJ, and its no better. we have to ask permission from our local police dept's in order to buy a gun. i am seriously thinking on moving out of this state. its going in the same footsteps as CA, NY, Chicago, etc. we have a democrat Assemblywoman, sheila oliver, (pictured below) that proposed license plates on bicycles; so you can only imagine the other crap these idiots are pulling.

just take a look at this 'dumb & dumber' cast reject:

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Well we have to get a permit from local sheriff to buy a handgun (or concealed permit that also goes through local sheriff's office).

But yeah, there are a few reason I couldn't live in the NE. And the politics/policies are the main ones. I've been carrying a pocket knife since I was 5-6 years old, which is illegal in NYC. That was about all I needed to know to not go up that way.

Can say if I had to pay $2k a year to insure against shooting people, my guns would have been lost in a boating accident over a deep part of the lake/ocean.

S13_love

Such an occurrence “shall result in the immediate revocation of such owner’s registration, license and any other privilege to own such firearm.
:rolleyes: ..... :facepalm:

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

S13_love wrote:
Such an occurrence “shall result in the immediate revocation of such owner’s registration, license and any other privilege to own such firearm.
:rolleyes: ..... :facepalm:
I guess "Stupid is as Stupid does" in state politics. The NY bill is just as dumb as the California one. I kinda doubt the bill will make it beyond a committee because it makes no sense. It doesn't fix anything except make insurance companies richer.

Plus the $1 million minimum liability amount is completely unrealistic when compared to NY's minimum requirements for auto liability, which are a small fraction of this proposal (like $25K-$50K) and where the odds of a auto claim are considerably more likely than a gun claim.

Hopefully New York gun owners will remember Mr. Ortiz' stupidity when he's up for re-election.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Bubba1 wrote:It doesn't fix anything except make insurance companies richer.
the democrats know who to "make richer" in order to get kick backs and contributions. someones family/friend/inlaw must work for an insurance company and is ready to offer policies. this isnt about safety, its about control & tapping into a revenue.
Plus the $1 million minimum liability amount is completely unrealistic
thats the whole point! you still refuse to believe that this is their way of taking guns away from as many people as possible, but wake up pal.
when compared to NY's minimum requirements for auto liability, which are a small fraction of this proposal (like $25K-$50K) and where the odds of a auto claim are considerably more likely than a gun claim.
your mind is in the wrong place. you legitimately think democrats want to save peoples lives and help people. wrong. this is nothing more than them trying to disarm people in as many ways as possible, without actually going the DC/Chicago route and banning guns.
Hopefully New York gun owners will remember Mr. Ortiz' stupidity when he's up for re-election.
thats part of the Republican problem: they are not "loud" enough; or at least not as motivated as the left is, come election times.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

ImStricken wrote:
Bubba1 wrote:It doesn't fix anything except make insurance companies richer.
the democrats know who to "make richer" in order to get kick backs and contributions. someones family/friend/inlaw must work for an insurance company and is ready to offer policies. this isnt about safety, its about control & tapping into a revenue.
Plus the $1 million minimum liability amount is completely unrealistic
thats the whole point! you still refuse to believe that this is their way of taking guns away from as many people as possible, but wake up pal.
when compared to NY's minimum requirements for auto liability, which are a small fraction of this proposal (like $25K-$50K) and where the odds of a auto claim are considerably more likely than a gun claim.

your mind is in the wrong place. you legitimately think democrats want to save peoples lives and help people. wrong. this is nothing more than them trying to disarm people in as many ways as possible, without actually going the DC/Chicago route and banning guns.
thats part of the Republican problem: they are not "loud" enough; or at least not as motivated as the left is, come election times.
The problem with the Republicans is not so much that they're not loud enough, it's that they're unwilling to work with the Democrats to get anything done. Yes, the same can be said about the Democrats. This extreme partisanship stuff is getting tiresome.

You also appear to think if I don't agree with with the Republican party that I must automatically be a Democratic. BZZZZT!!!! untrue. Sorry, I have no party affiliation whatsoever.

My mind is absolutely in the right place. I think you are not seeing the big picture. This bill, like the one in California is nothing more than an attempted Insurance industry money grab under the guise of a gun violence deterrent, which it obviously is not. If you read the California thread about its version of the same bill, my point is still if the Republicans spend more time finding some common ground with gun owning democrats (yes there are thousands of them)and work together with them to defeat an obviously stupid bill (like this NY one) instead of pointing fingers at liberals and yelling about prying guns from your cold dead hands, that bill would get killed quickly.

Return to “Politics Etc.”