Noticed an interesting difference in shifting between ...

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

... the transmission setting process in automatic 2003 M45 and a 2004 G35 the lever is moved over to the "manual shift mode". I noticed this recently when I got a loaner from the dealer.

Let's assume you do this from a standing start.

M45:

The transmission starts out in 4th. This is effectively the "top" gear that the car will use from that point on (until changed up or down). So, rather than being a true shifter, all it appears to be doing is setting the top gear (although the service manual does talk about changing the actual shift points to be more sporty.)

When you pull away and go to your driving speed, it does the upshifts and all till it reaches the top gear you have set. Then when you slow down and stop, this does not change the setting downwards (if you had selected 4th, it stays set that way.)

G35:

The transmission starts out in 1st. Then it only goes up as you upshift. When you reach a crusing speed (lets say in 4th) and then slow down, the shifter setting goes down too (without requiring any input from you on the lever). So, when you reach a stand-still, it is back in 1st. I.e., more like a manual of sorts. then you gotta upshift again when moving out.

Interesting difference in mode of operation, hunh?

Z

szh

Hi, all.

Another opportunity to compare today (loaner car from Frontier Infiniti.) This time, I had an older 2004 G35 sedan - may even have been a 2003. In this car, the manual shifting was exactly like my M45 (as described above!)

What gives? Is this something that is new to the 2004+ G35 models? Does the new M45 shift like this too?

Z

Jesda

Well thats odd. I wonder if there was a small TCU upgrade somewhere?

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

your 'first' loaner was a 2k5? had one about a month ago and was surprised by this. My 2k3 G35 does just like your M45. haven't driven 2k6 M45, would assume it requires manual input for all upshifts.

szh

GQ Jay wrote:your 'first' loaner was a 2k5? had one about a month ago and was surprised by this.
Might have been ... I thought it was a 2004, but I am not sure of that. It was this year, back in March or April, so it could easily have been a 2005 G35 ... low mileage, as I recall.
GQ Jay wrote:haven't driven 2k6 M45, would assume it requires manual input for all upshifts.
Interesting! I'll check it out the next time I am at the dealer.

Z

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”