Notebook repair

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
s0m3th1ngAZ
Car: 96' Miata
2014 Focus ST

Anyone have any experience in notebook soldering and whatnot? My ethernet port broke off of the motherboard a couple days ago. Sheared all 4 of the little gold thingies that connect to the motherboard. Now I'm stuck with wireless until I fix it. So, where do I start?

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Fine PCB soldering takes practice but isn't too hard. Get a fine-tipped soldering pencil and narrow-gauge solder and you should be set. Biggest issue is using too much solder and and accidentally crossing circuits. I suspect that your ethernet connection is near an edge of the PCB where there's not much going on, and it'll probably have larger solder points anyway, so you probably don't have to worry about things being too crowded. Keep a desoldering braid on hand to manage excess solder and you should be set.
The other concern with PCBs is heating OTHER solder points and accidentally desoldering them. Remember you do heat the connection, not the solder, but don't fart around too long or you'll heat up nearby connections, too.

s0m3th1ngAZ
Car: 96' Miata
2014 Focus ST

Meh, I just bought a wireless router...too much risk/trouble for me to repair it. Plus I can share the connection/cost with three roommates !

Return to “Computers / Electronics”