not sure where to post this but..

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
chaosnite

I've been really excited about swapping in an rb25det motor into a 240sx, but after reading a recent article (was it super street??) I started thinking about other nissan turbo 6's i could put in...

I've searched around this forum and on google, and heard about the vq30det which can fit but doesn't have a manual tranny. Well besides sourcing a pathfinder tranny I also read that the skyline rb tranny bell housing has the same bolt pattern as the one on the vq.

so my question is this-- does anyone have any more information on whether or not the vq30det can be swapped into the 240sx as easily as the RB25det? is there anyway someone can find out? if it looks like it will fit I think i'm going to try it. Besides those motors can be had for around the same price (or cheaper) as the rb25, right?

chaosnite

any comments at least?.. maybe a suggestion to move this post elsewhere?

dreamsOfSkylines

i think you mean vg30? or vq35? RB engines are probably the easist 6 to put in (and one of the best too). Doing a vg or vq would be different but kinda a pain in the *** and not really worth it.

chaosnite

VQ: gloria/cedric (VQ30DET-JDM), cefiro (VQ25DD-JDM), '95-oo Maxima (VQ30de) copied from another thread.. you guys think any of these engines will fit in a 240sx assuming I could find a suitable manual transmission. anyone heard of these swaps being done? The RB25 still looks like a better choice but with the same 9.0 CR and .5L more displacement I'd really be interested in info on the vq30det swap.

JESTER
Car: 2004 Chevy Colorado Bright a** red. 3.5 five cylinder

Definetly not the one out of the Maxima. It is front wheel drive. I have no ideal about the other two models.

If your going to do a swap, RB is the way to go. The 3.0 liter VG is a tight fit. The RB26 I saw in one was a tight fit. The VG30 should be easy to find with a manual transmission.

I would go with RB26 if I had the cash to do it, and do it wright. But the VG30's are easy to come by.

http://www.car-parts.com

chaosnite

here's a link in case you guys are still unsure about what I'm asking

http://63.105.19.158/automotiv...ject/

roundrocktom

Take a look at Dave Lum's project 510 with the VG30DETT. Yes, Twin Turbo motor. Dave is a great guy, patient spouse, and is getting that motor stuff into his 510. S13 is about the same room, if not a little longer! :D

http://www.datsuns.com/projects/fv-s/fvs_page5.htm

Tom

chaosnite

I appreciate the help, but I really do mean VQ30DET.. check the link above.

vududoc
Car: drag drift autox

megallas site has the info on what he did.....i think he killed an engine with a vg30det turbo

undertaker
Car: C33

Its probably a really good motor, the DE has usually received favourable reviews so a turbo version is bound to be even nicer. On your link it states that the Y chassis also had a RB25 option so the mounts may be similar. I think you need to find out how similar this chassis is to R/S nissan chassis to see whether you can use factory mounts. The VQ does look a lot narrower than a VG but you need to check unless you are prepared to make a lot of custom components to make it fit. Good luck if you decide to do it!

roundrocktom

Quote »whether or not the vq30det can be swapped into the 240sx as easily as the RB25det?[/quote]

I think you've already answered you question. :D

I was pointing out the VG30DETT swap as something "possible" given a good deal of fabrication, thought, time, and money. Dave is a crazy car guy, so he is blazing the trail on that one.

So putting a VQ30DET should be a little easier, but you're looking at being one of the first to try that. You have a learning curve to get everything to work...

So is it "as easy" as a RB25DET swap... I'd say no, mainly there are quite a few swaps already done. You can get an idea on "do I need to trim the hood or not, will the turbo clear the steering rack, etc" On the VQ everything is unknown.

What is the "mission statement" (pilot speak for what the hell are you planning on doing with this when done?). For ME it is to swap a RB20DET Automatic, keeping it stock and simple, just a fun "beater" commute vehicle that can creep in traffic and give my left knee a rest (too many years of Datsun Comp clutches!).

Tom

Redline240
Car: 95 240sx

You could always try to find a VH45 and shoe horn it in!!! Then you'd be the first nissan V8 powered 240, probaly in the world!

Redline

Nathan

Someone did a test fit of one and it wasnt even close to fitting, you'd have to do some major custom work on the chassis to get it in there. It is a very wide engine.

GatorS14
Car: 93/s13/white,96/s14/crashed...ask about parts

in this months super street they top secret (i think) put a VQ30DETT in an R34 skyline.It kinda looked like a tight fit.check the intercooler location!

chaosnite

yea you guys make a very good point- I need to actually buy the engine and check to see if it fits myself since no ones done it.. I think I'll just hang around for awhile and see if someone else will do the work ;) cause I don't have the kind of money to spend on something that might not work out.. I should stick to the rb25. Well, just wanted to get the word out about another potential engine swap candidate I guess.

madbouncy
Car: 93 Mazda RX7 R1

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but hey, atleast it shows I was searching... Anyways, the article was from Super Street June 2004. It's a 350z with a vq30de from a nissan gloria, all done by Top Secret.

As for the questions, I've been looking at a lot of engines, so far the two I like the most are the rb25det and the vq30de. I'm not worried about mounts to get it into the car or anything of that nature, that'll cost money no matter what. However, I've read about people saying you can put the fwd vq30de's into rwd cars? They said like either the newer trannys from the 350z or pathfinder. It seemed odd that a fwd would work with a rwd trans though, just wondering if anybody knows something more.

goofynick6
Car: 1995 S14.5 RB20DET

My buddy here in VA put a vg30 he was gonna twin turbo in his s14 and got it mounted up, but then decided to wait and get a spare s14 to use it in, as he didn't wanna mess with his nice s14. He currently has a shell s14 and will maybe be working on it more later this summer. It was tight on the sides, but in the front of the engine there was room for a b18C swap...haha.

Nick

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”