Not impressed with Nissan's 3 coat paint

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Laurie
Car: 2009 Rogue SL AWD

Had my new 2009 Rogue for less than two weeks when it got egged two nights in a row (as did my 1992 Corsia)

I had opted for the 3 coat paint ($300 extra on the glacier pearl) for added protection.

The impact of the eggs damaged the coat right to the frame in a couple of places. The entire rear door would need to be repainted.

Not a mark on my little Corsica.

Very unimpressed.

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

This is true of any new paints, as they are now all acrylic based instead of oil based. Water based paints are not as durable as their older oil based conterparts are, and this is something and everyone has to (unfortunatly) deal with.

Sorry to hear about the egging :-\

Laurie

I've read about the paint problem with new vehicles.

However, if Nissan represents the more expensive 3 coat paint as being more resistant to paint damage, they would appear to be wrong about that.

Also, it's way more expensive to fix than the regular paint job on Rogues.

Roguemeister

Did it get egged last saturday night?? If so, must have been some very pi**ed off Eskimo fans

Sorry that happened.... and even more sorry to here how crappy the paint is....

philipa_240sx

Sidenote:

The reason for water borne paint finishes is enviornmental. Solvent (oil) based finishes emit a large amount of VOC's and when you are painting hundreds or thousands of cars per day, it a big deal. In terms of enviornmental air pollution, painting has to be one of the 'dirtiest' of all car mfg processes.

Nearly all the world's auto mfg's have switched to water borne finishes in the past several years and you are seeing the same in many body shops.

The biggest downside however is the softness of the paint, in particular it's susceptibility to scratches and stone chips. Nissan is not alone when it comes to this. Many mfg's have the same issues and they are continually improving the process and product to improve the durability. ie. the new self healing paint used on Infiniti's.

Don't believe me? Cruise around on just about any forum and you will find similar issues... from BMW's to Volkswagens.

Laurie

Actually, it was over the weekend. That game against Edmonton was such a bloodbath I actually felt bad for them (but I sat quietly for a second and feeling passed).

I also just bought my son a used ford explorer with paint in perfect condition. It got keyed (or "screwdrivered") two nights in a row two days after we brought it home. Right down to the frame in about six places.

We are both unhappy campers and knowing that the paint is universally soft doesn't really help much. As everyone knows, the first cut is always the deepest.

Note- Just got back from a quote to fix all the little nicks- to do it right, back door needs to be done and blended into fenders. About $850 because of tri-coat, and also can't guarantee a match.
Modified by Laurie at 11:06 AM 10/29/2008

philipa_240sx

A little tidbit about the use of waterborne paints at Nissan's Kyushu, Japan plant where the Rogue is built:

Quote »NISSAN INTRODUCES NEW PAINT COATING SYSTEM AT KYUSHU PLANT-- Compact system boosts efficiency, while lowering impact on environment --

TOKYO (Feb. 6, 2006)--Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., today announced it is investing 11 billion yen in a new compact, water-based paint coating system at its No.1 Kyushu Plant that boosts production efficiency while reducing the impact on the environment.

The system is the first in the world to eliminate paint hoses attached to the arm of the finish line coating robots. Instead, the system directly fills paint into tanks built into the spray guns. This has resulted in compact robots able to do more detailed operations that were formerly done by hand, including coating vehicle interiors.

The performance of the spray guns has also been improved to evenly cover wider areas. This has reduced the number of robots required for a given spray job and shortened the finish line. As a result, production efficiency has been raised by 15%, while energy use has fallen by a similar percentage.

With no hoses to wash out, the system saves 15% of the paint that was typically wasted in the previous process. Thanks to the use of water-based paint, the system also reduces volatile organic compounds by 42%.

Nissan plans to introduce the new coating system at its other factories in Japan.

Nissan has already invested six billion yen to renew the plant's finish line, which returned to full operation in January, and plans to spend another five billion yen by May 2007 on the primer and intercoat sections.

Painting lines consist of three lines: a primer line for the application of the anti-corrosion barrier, an intercoat line, and a finish line to fine-tune the car's appearance with color and clearcoat.

The introduction of the new coating system is a component of the Nissan Integrated Manufacturing System which supports synchronized production under the Nissan Production Way.

The No.1 Kyushu Plant, Nissan's main passenger-vehicle manufacturing facility, is located in Miyako-gun, Fukuoka Prefecture. Last fiscal year, the plant produced 510,000 units.[/quote]Press release courtesy Nissan Motor Co.:http://www.nissan-global.com/E....html

Return to “Rogue Forum”