Not a lot of info on '89 maxima

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Toeknee
Car: 1989 Nissan Maxima GXE/Bose 3.0L

Hello everyone, new guy on the forum. Have been going through forums and searching through the internet for a month now and can not find a lot of people working on 88-89 Maxima's. Just acquired a '89 Nissan Maxima GXE couple months ago for my birthday and have been working on getting it road ready and finally have it safe to drive. Came with a body kit on it that i need to fix. Put some new rims and tires on it. Had some 18" chrome rims with tiny little tires on them that looked bad. Came with aftermarket pioneer radio and someone replaced all the factory Bose speakers with pioneer. Looking at putting a r32 skyline spoiler on it and tint the windows. Want to mod it a little to get it running better but can not find a lot of info on what i want to do. Have a couple big question if anybody could help me with answering them.
Question 1: Anybody know where i can get a PDF of the workshop manual for that year and a wire diagram, good ones that are readable.
Question 2: Not a lot of places make aftermarket parts that specify for a '89 maxima's that i can find. Are there other vehicles i can reference that would have aftermarket parts that would cross over? I had seen that website list on this forum but they don't have parts i am looking for. Main thing is i would like to start with a EGR delete but can not find the kit anywhere that would fit on a '89 Maxima.
Question 3: The muffler is broken off and just hanging there, would like to replace it with a aftermarket one that would make it sound a little less like a ricer. Any suggestions on what type of muffler i should get or what else i could do besides just replacing the muffler? Want to make it sound closer to a Maserati, i know not possible without spending a lot of money, but just to let you know what i'm talking about.
Had a '88 couple years ago but had to many problems. This is my first time modding a vehicle, its my daily driver for summer time, but also want to make it a show car. Only has 59k miles on it and still had the original trans fluid in it. Open to suggestions and opinions on types of mods to do on this car. Don't like going blind into doing something. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advanced for answering!

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

1) Factory service manual: nissanservicemanual.com

2) EGR delete is usually a piece of metal, cut to the corresponding shape, and RTV'ed in place (with the original bolts).

3) A Magnaflow will sound nice and not cheap.

Welcome aboard, I'm sure others will chime in!

Toeknee
Car: 1989 Nissan Maxima GXE/Bose 3.0L

Thank you for the reply! I checked the website and it only goes back to '94 maxima. Will that manual work for a '89? Seen it said '88 to '94 is 3rd gen but some say in '92 they changed some stuff. Also are there any vehicles i could compare it to for sound? Or just find a vehicle with likeness in hp and size.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”