Northeastern Exhaust Opinions?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

My stock Nissan muffler has finally rotted out on my '02 Pathfinder SE, 3.5V6, 4WD so I'm replacing everything from the cat pipes back with new exhaust pipes, muffler, and resonator. Original equipment replacements would be easy but very expensive. Upgrades require welding so I can't do it myself. Many direct fit aftermarket exhausts seem sketchy with lots of bad reviews about corrosion and crinkle bent tubes restricting flow. However, I found one brand, Northeastern Exhaust, with all stainless steel construction and mandrel bent tubes that are a direct fit so I went ahead and ordered the parts. The pipes to the muffler are 1.75", slightly larger than the 43mm (1.69") Nissan pipes. The muffler has about the exact same output of 2.25" as the Nissan muffler and the resonator pipes are the same as the muffler. I have no idea yet what this set up sounds like or how well it performs but it is a DIY with all the needed gaskets and center bracket.

Does anyone have any feedback regarding Northeastern Exhaust stainless steel exhaust systems? I have not been able to find any Pathfinder related reviews to form an opinion. I guess I will have one of my own soon enough. I was hoping someone else might have an opinion of their own you could share with me.

rgk
Car: 02 Pathfinder LE 3.5 auto 4x4

No, but please let us know and snap some pictures.

mdmellott

Still waiting on delivery for a pair of cat exhaust pipes. Didn't think I needed them at first but found that my current ones are mismatched with the driver side being an old and corroded original and the passenger side being a aftermarket crinkle bent Walker tube product. It will be worth the wait, having all 409 stainless steel Northeastern Exhaust system parts from the cats all the way back. I am impressed with the value and quality build of the pipes, muffler and resonator I have received so far. The intermediate pipes are actually exactly the same size as the originals at 43mm OD, so slightly smaller than the 1.75" I thought they would be, and the tail pipe as well as the pipes between the resonator and muffler are slightly larger than the 2.25" I thought they would be, so those too are just like the originals. The muffler and resonator are also built with the same external dimensions as the original equipment. At about $300, including shipping and taxes, I am very pleased with what I am getting. That being said, I still anticipate some manageable fit up issues. I also found a couple of reviews on Amazon that were favorable toward this set up on their Pathfinders, and no negative reviews.

mdmellott

I finally got the Northeastern Exhaust system installed. Aside from the fit up of the intermediate pipes, all the components mirror the Nissan OEM parts exactly. The cat pipe resonators are actually designed and built better than OEM, in my opinion. Adding new rubber hangers (Walker part numbers 35460, qty4 and 35725, qty1), everything was a perfect fit except for the intermediate pipes which I had cut and welded in place so they lined up perfectly with the muffler. (An extra cost of $100) For only $300 plus the welding, this all stainless steel exhaust system is a great value. My low end torque performance is definitely better but that may be because I had an out of balance set up, with one old original and one old Walker cat pipe resonator, which were replaced as part of this new exhaust system. UPSW Auto Parts is the exclusive maker of this exhaust system, available direct or at https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel- ... 465&sr=8-1

happynole
Car: Panda - 1995 Infiniti G20 rebadged as Nissan Primera 2.0 eGT
Sandy - 1999 Infiniti G20t daily driver
Q - 2001 Infiniti QX4 Gloria's whip

Is there any difference between an 01 and 02 QX4 as far as the exhaust? They list an exhaust without the cat delete/resonator and intermediate pipes for the 01-04 Pathy/QX4, but the exhaust you posted specifically states 02-04 models. My 01 needs an exhaust in a bad way!

mdmellott

There may be some subtle difference with your '01 QX4 front resonators compared to my '02 Pathfinder. I know for certain that intermediate pipes, muffler, and rear resonator are the same. Neither Amazon nor the maker UPSW Auto Parts shows the front resonators but they do list the exhaust system for the intermediate pipes all the way back. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JC ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.upsw.com/2001-infiniti-qx4- ... ystem-kit/
There was a subtle difference in the passenger side front resonator on the '01 QX4 that were built in '00 and then later builds in July '01 changed to the same part number as my Nissan. The driver side front resonator has always been the same for the '01 QX4 and the '02 Pathfinder. If your '01 QX4 was one of the later builds (07/01 or later) I think this full package exhaust system would work just fine for you.

carldu
Car: 08 Titan

Walker and Bosal have a complete exhaust kit also. If you just want to change the sound of your exhaust, replace the stock muffler with an aftermarket one. 4wheelonline has Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Borla and Gibson.

mdmellott

carldu wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:06 pm
Walker and Bosal have a complete exhaust kit also. If you just want to change the sound of your exhaust, replace the stock muffler with an aftermarket one. 4wheelonline has Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Borla and Gibson.
I looked hard to find a well known dependable and long lasting brand for my 02 Pathfinder, aside from OEM high cost parts. I almost went with Walker but I was put off by their crush bent tubes because the "crinkles" of these bends decrease the ID at the bends causing restrictions, power and economy losses. I also read too many bad reviews regarding corrosion. Walker's tech specs call out stainless steel for the muffler body but also an aluminized finish. (on the plain carbon steel tubes I guess, hence the corrosion comments I read about) Except for Bosal, there really wasn't any other direct fit exhaust system I could find for my ride except Northeastern Exhaust. From the cats all the way back for about $300, every tube mandrel bent, and every piece 409 SS, it was a great choice for me and my budget. Bosal was all aluminized steel for the Pathfinder and their costs added up to what OEM parts would run.

Coup
Car: ???

mdmellott wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:16 pm

I looked hard to find a well known dependable and long lasting brand for my 02 Pathfinder, aside from OEM high cost parts. I almost went with Walker but I was put off by their crush bent tubes because the "crinkles" of these bends decrease the ID at the bends causing restrictions, power and economy losses. I also read too many bad reviews regarding corrosion. Walker's tech specs call out stainless steel for the muffler body but also an aluminized finish. (on the plain carbon steel tubes I guess, hence the corrosion comments I read about) Except for Bosal, there really wasn't any other direct fit exhaust system I could find for my ride except Northeastern Exhaust. From the cats all the way back for about $300, every tube mandrel bent, and every piece 409 SS, it was a great choice for me and my budget. Bosal was all aluminized steel for the Pathfinder and their costs added up to what OEM parts would run.
How is the noise with this muffler? Louder? Quieter? Same as stock? More bassy?

mdmellott

Same as stock. Just a great alternative to OEM. Same performance at a significant savings in cost.

Coup
Car: ???

Thanks very much for the feedback. I've been looking at this for a while.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”