Noobie - my Versa (after lurking for months)

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
catnap
Car: 2007 Blue Onyx Versa SL

I got my Blue Onyx Versa SL July 16 -yes I've had it more than 3 months. It does not have convenience pkg (my choice) or ABS (couldn't get it). I love it except for the poor mpg. I'm averaging 25 -26 mpg in 60% city 20% freeway 20% gridlock (downside of living in the Bay Area).I have about 2100 miles on it and just took it in for it's first service/ oil change ( 3 months) I asked the service manager about the poor mileage but he was very unhelpful and kind of rude - he said if there's no engine service light there's nothing wrong with it.I have had no problems with it at all. When shopping I originally started looking at cars before the Versa was even available. I tested the Fit, Civic, Mazda 3, and Scion starting in May I think. But each of these had a problem which led me to wait for the Versa. I have a unique problem - I have a steep driveway and scraping the bottom of the car is a huge concern - really a deal breaker. Both the Fit (Sport model) and the Civic didn't pass this test - they have very low ground clearance. The Mazda was nice but too expensive and their gas mileage numbers weren't that great. The Scion - didn't like the gauges in the middle and it's roof antenna scraped my garge door on the way out. So I waited and waited to test the Versa and I'm glad I did.

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

Welcome, lurker!

Not really much to say about the fuel economy issues. A couple other owners have reported it, but a lot of us are getting the EPA estimates or thereabouts.

Is yours a CVT or 6MT? If it's the manual, I can tell you never EVER go above 3500 rpm if you want any semblance of fuel economy. When I was testing my car over the first few tanks, shifting @ 3000 rpm netted me about 30 mpg, but shifting @ 3600 dropped me down to 24 mpg.

catnap
Car: 2007 Blue Onyx Versa SL

Mine is the CVT

Paula
Car: 2007 Versa SL w/convience pkg

I can validate what EV said about the shifting. I generally shift by sound more than watching the rpms, but I take a quick glance at the tach every once in a while, and it's usually around 3K rpm.

After getting used to the new car and shifting again, I decided to "play" one day on the way to my Mom's house. About 9 miles of uphill/down hill, curvy, virtually one lane, rough as hell country road with a couple of blind curves. Upshifting, downshifting, trying to stay off the brakes....... it was a blast ! BUT I could just about watch the gas gauge dropping. Soooooo - I don't do that no more. (not too much anyway !)

Paula

proxim2020

catnap wrote:Mine is the CVT
Let me start off by saying that EPA estimate are just estimates. These estimates are generated in a lab with near perfect conditions and normally do not represent daily daily for most parts of the US. It's not a guarantee, but more of "There's a good chance you'll get this if your driving patterns and conditions closely match ours".

I haven't heard of anyone with the CVT reporting that they have gotten less gas mileage. I've heard that some are getting way better gas mileage than the 6M. The service manager telling you that there's no light so there's nothing wrong with it is incorrect. When things break or not functioning as they should, you don't always get a light on the console. For instance, if you have a heavily clogged air filter, you won't get a check engine light. But you will see a sharp drop in gas mileage. Take you car to a different dealership, speak with the service manager, and explain what's going on. They should at least do a once over on the vehicle to check for any obvious problems. Dealers have the responsibility to investigate your claims. If you still have problems, call the Nissan warranty line and tell them that dealers aren't investigating your claims.

Return to “Versa General Chat”