Where do I start my KAT project?

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
dohmann777
Car: 97 gsx

Ok so I recently got a s14 and I tried drifting it works but its almost like I need that slight kick from a snail keep the wheels turning ok so I know how I want it set up 8 psi safc2 sr20 injectors good responsive turbo in mid to high range compression good strait across all 4 engine has 106k miles LSD rear my problem is like most getting good turbo sizing for my needs small track so third gear smoking tires aren't needed a good weekday worker weekend drifter set up I honestly don't know where to start what turbo to buy how much is too much how much is too cheap I want a bb turbo but if it isn't needed then I won't I just don't want cheap out and it be a flaky set up and it's in the garage every other day I know the saying fast cheap reliable you can only have 2 lol but I have 2 ka engines one to be built and one for fun daily I have 2 other vehicles so it is sitting as of now with new timing chain kit in the mail but the turbo is my biggest worry right now what should I get I don't need huge hp just enough to get out a full fluent drift it seems ka seems to fall short and the end of the drift and catch because it doesn't have enough power to keep a spin on the tires I am running 225 55 16 street radial if its moist ground like morning dew this baby will complete the drift now granted I just traded my miata for this s14 but I use power over style drifting easiest in the miata but it does seem to work in the sx if I power over and at the base of the turn kick the clutch which is what a lot of people do around here were I live I just see that as hard on your drivetrain power over at a decent rate of speed works relatively well sorry for grammar I'm on my phone with really tiny buttons

SX APPEAL
Car: 06 G35 Coupe 6MT
95 Maxima SE 5MT

Most of your questions can be answered with a quick skim of the stickies.

And please for the love of God stop using your phone to post, I only read the first half of that grammatically devoid run-on sentence and my eyes are killing me.

sx moneypit
Car: 2010 370Z
1986 Toyota MR2

SX APPEAL wrote:Most of your questions can be answered with a quick skim of the stickies.

And please for the love of God stop using your phone to post, I only read the first half of that grammatically devoid run-on sentence and my eyes are killing me.
:chuckle:

dohmann777

Well thanks guy I appreciate the help you guys were very helpful

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

If you want someone to take the time to answer your questions, take the time and use some grammar. A friggin period here and there would make it a lot easier to read. I use my phone all the time, using a phone is no excuse for not using periods to separate the sentences.

Posted from my phone.

dohmann777

Hey bud...calm down it really isn't that serious. There i am now using proper grammar. There was no reason to use profanity for something this little. Seems like someone needs some therapy. Take a breath calm down take your Prozac. You know for being a mod you should lead by example and not look like a complete loose cannon on a regular basis. Just in a professional stand point be it as it is a forum a little bit of professionalism is a must. Although my grammar wasn't up to par to your standards. I didn't need to be spoken to in that fashion. I apologize for you having to strain your eyes. I know it creates an inconvenience for you guys and I apologize for this. I was in a rush and on my phone never the less tis no excuse. Now I would like to know if I want 8 psi and nice quick spool at low to mid rpms for drifting purposes. We're should I start at in a turbo aspect.

WDRacing

dohmann777 wrote: Now I would like to know if I want 8 psi and nice quick spool at low to mid rpms for drifting purposes. We're should I start at in a turbo aspect.

I asked nicely in another thread. You ignored me. Apparently you DID need to be told sternly in order to pay attention.

T28 is what you want.

s13drifter88
Car: 93 S13 Coupe CA18DET (Money pit)
1996 D21 Hardbody (Work truck/daily)
!993 Del Sol (Daily)
1987 Pontiac GTA (Drag project, other money pit)
1989 SOHC S13 Buzz Car

^^^ NO WAY!!! WD said T28!?!?!?

s13drifter88
!993 Del Sol (Daily)
1989 SOHC S13 Buzz Car

Plan of attack here killer:

Ditch the SAFC idea. SAFC KA-T is overpriced fireworks.

Forget the SR injectors. The KA compression ratio (S14 being higher than S13) and weak pistons/ringlands mean youll need some fuel. They may slow the bleeding but they dont stop it.

Now, lets move on to a real strategy.

S15 480cc injectors would be sufficient and affordable (If you can find a set) but deatschwerks 550's are very affordable and would fuel your desires. Dont let anyone on here tell you different, I myself as well as several of my friends have run them (for years) with no problems.

Next, Nistune would be your best bet for managment but if you cant swing it then a romtune (which works just fine) will suffice your needs. SAFC is a bandaid. It worked well running a 4 bar fuel system and 15psi of SR T25 boost on my CA but but my 370's only became 430's at 4bar so the SAFC didnt have to do much aside from translating my Z32 MAF. Lemme clarify on the SAFC a bit, it lies to the ECU. It modifies voltage signals seen for airflow. Now our electronics have no clue how much pressure is in our manifolds. It only sees flow (lbs per min) so the MAF is critical in scaling of the fuel and timing cells in out ECU's. Airflow is load... more air, more load; less air, you get the idea. Load is what determines where you operate in the timing cells. Tell the ECU your getting less air to trim fuel for bigger injectors and the ECU thinks that there is less load so it runs more timing. To much timing and bangs and pows start to happen resulting in you calling a tow truck.

Now for a MAF. Your stock MAF is going to reach max resolution pretty quickly meaning that it cant meter more air past a certain point. In short, the ECU stops adding fuel. This will result in lean mixtures and remember those bangs and pows we just talked about, yeah they happen from that. A Z32 MAF will be your best option as they have resolution for flow up to 500hp.

So to sum this all up, for a properly done KA-T, you need fuel/maf/tune. Dont half way any of these otherwise the notorious tow trucks will eat all your money (and bumper if youre lowered much). Spend the money and the time to do it right and youll have a fun, strong car thatll last you and deliver some satisfying results. End

dohmann777

Thank you very much quite educational I just talked to the auto sports guy today and I've learned quite much from him. Basically in a nutshell here is the way I'm going to run it small turbo stock sr turbo. Precision injectors and a aem ems for better fine tuning money not really a problem considering its a weekend cruiser. So down time is fine. Like I said not crazy amounts of power 250 to 300 would be great. Cooling I have down misimoto rad 2 slim fans and a nismo thermostat just.finished rebuild today ...btw chain sucks biggest pita ever. But I got through no issues got new bearings acl. And arp main and head studs I wanted to go forged internals but all I saw was my account draining. So I'm ganna hold off I order ems next weekend. ( power of 2 full time jobs and part time) lol today I took off do get my hands dirty but hey thanks for your input I appreciate it.

WDRacing

I wouldn't use a T25 from a SR. It's just to inefficient. You're way better off using a T28.

$250 and it's balanced with a 1 year warranty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-Jetta-Beet ... 23258d1ebb

If you're going to spend bank on the EMS, which is awesome btw, then you don't want to skimp on the heart of the system. A T25 is very small for a 2.4 liter.

Normally I wouldn't even go as small as a T28. I'd start with a T3/TO4, but that's because you couldn't get a smaller turbo without spending 1800 bucks or buying a used one. Speed Racer happens to be one of the few companies that sells good products from China. Good radiators and such as well if you haven't pulled the trigger on that yet either.

dohmann777

Cooling is taken care of as of now. I have 5 k for boosting the ka. So I'd like to get a really decent turbo rather not the journal turbo but the bb turbo ems will set me back 1300 -1500 turbo 1500-2k. I definantly want a decent set up. Fast and reliable 250to 300hp fast wise. And the tuner is a great tuner I've had him run DSM link on a lot of my eclipses. With a factory type idle.

WDRacing

dohmann777

Seems like a pretty good turbo. So Mabey 550 injectors would be a bit small should I go hks 740cc injectors for the safe side and for room to upgrade if I feeling the urge. Obviously people pick a high unrealistic hp numbers but expect to pay little to nothing for it. I know because I was one like most of us here once were. Just for future reference how high is to high to get the ka to rev before it turns to a catastrophe? Now I know the its a tq engine my motor and trans mounts knew this well from the previous owner. But am I at a lost cause with trying to set a ka engine up for drifting would a sr be better suited? I just don't want to dump money in this and it be horrible drifting/ autox. Thanks guys for heading me in the right direction!

dohmann777

Oh btw reason for bigger injector question was because in the reviews people said well ill just put it like this the engine gets pretty thirsty during a hard pull. I just don't want to lean out because of insufficient injectors.

SX APPEAL
95 Maxima SE 5MT

DW Fuel Injector Calculator

Btw I'm going to tell you right now $5 grand isn't going to be enough if you're going the GT2871/EMS route, that's half your budget right there and that's before you've even bought your shopping list (intercooler/injectors/manifold etc) All the sexy shiny major components of a build.

Then, as anyone on here who's actually completed a KA-T project will tell you (which doesn't actually include me, but I'm close enough lol) you will run into tons of unforeseen and unplanned for expenses (hoses/fittings/hardware/fluids) and these things add up FAST. You just can't plan for everything. So if I were you and I had a budget of $5 grand, I would limit the scope of the actual shopping list to no more than $3 grand, and you still might not come in under $5K. Just food for thought...

dohmann777

No you are 100 percent correct I agree with you. For obvious reasons I am going to use Ligit stuff I have 5 k in my account and 4k tax time minimum I made less last year ytd this yea I made a lot more and last year after tax guy took his cut I made 4600 so right now my major concern is turbo and ems the rest will be taken care off shortly after but you are right it will cost more than than 9600 . Anytime you make a n/a boosted its ganna cost a lot. Anyways I have a pretty good idea on the costs but even if 9600 isn't enough for a Ligit build she will sit untill it is perfect.

D-UNIT
Car: a 91' S13 (15.014 @ 94.56mph NA) KA-T

I would go jwt (etc.) Rom tune , S15 turbo , atleast 740cc injectors ( these max out at 460whp btw). You're goals and power levels are easily attainable with these parts. I feel full stand alone is overkill on a car you just might fold up into a wall next month. You did say your new to 240s and drifting. Not to jinx you of anything but lets be real. Keep it simple.

dohmann777

Agreed 100% the reason for ems is to upgrade later and as far as folding the car I have a pretty good feeling its ganna happen lol. But I'm working a deal for a s14 shell as a transplant recipient after this happens. I'm coming full force ready for any circumstance that might come my way thus the thinking ahead the shell is ganna set me back 500 LSD rear comes with but mine is fine but just in case I'm ganna keep her it has pretty good rust in the rear quarters but the rails seem ok.

D-UNIT
Car: a 91' S13 (15.014 @ 94.56mph NA) KA-T

Well if you're dead set on ems I would get 1000cc/1200cc injectors from the get go. Injectors are expensive so buying once would be a good idea. Plus it will make upgrading to a GTX3586r (etc.) that much easier. You might wanna check out Precision turbo , they make a nice billet wheeled 500hp turbo for $ 550. Don't forget the clutch!

liquid_cool
Car: 1990 240sx ka24de-T swap 8.6:1cr ,duelsprings ,ti retainers,supertech pistons,K1 H-beems balanced internals ect ect.

your new to drifting?...if your new..i would stay NA for at least a year and a half!..you learn better that way how the car reacts and how the weight is transferd...if you boost now..you will only take the learning prosess alot longer, the power will hide mistakes you may notice NA..and by them it might be to late as you hit a wall...i run a gt2860r myself ..300 hp is fine once you have drifting down..till you do..please stay NA, so you dont get discouraged and give up..we need more good drifters out there :)

SX APPEAL
95 Maxima SE 5MT

This is very good advise, honestly if I wasn't balls and scrotum deep into a KA-T build, I would switch to an LSX setup in an instant! Would be easier, simpler, and more powerful. But the main thing you guys are talking about (for drifting and that sort of s***) is a predictable torque band across the entire spectrum of throttle % and RPM range, which btw no turbo setup on this earth can match. And that is what you want for the minute throttle adjustments necessary to keep a car in a controlled slide. Or just to power out of a corner with the utmost precision. Turbo's may be sexy, but NA is for Drivers.

For Now, I guess I'll have to settle for the bandaid solution, unless anyone has a good bid on a GT3076... ;)

s13drifter88
!993 Del Sol (Daily)
1989 SOHC S13 Buzz Car

Supercharge your KA. I got to drive one one time and wow... it felt like a buddy's LS1 car, just without the sound of 5.7 liters of testosterone.

http://www.ka24der.com/

Jmoore124
Car: 1995 240sx Ka-t
2003 Saab Linear turbo conv
(Sold) 1989 S13 red top

D-UNIT wrote:I would go jwt (etc.) Rom tune , S15 turbo , atleast 740cc injectors ( these max out at 460whp btw). You're goals and power levels are easily attainable with these parts. I feel full stand alone is overkill on a car you just might fold up into a wall next month. You did say your new to 240s and drifting. Not to jinx you of anything but lets be real. Keep it simple.
This is what I would do. Don't get ahead of yourself, you are going to beat the piss out of this motor trying to learn how to drift.

s13drifter88
!993 Del Sol (Daily)
1989 SOHC S13 Buzz Car

Jmoore124 wrote:
D-UNIT wrote:I would go jwt (etc.) Rom tune , S15 turbo , atleast 740cc injectors ( these max out at 460whp btw). You're goals and power levels are easily attainable with these parts. I feel full stand alone is overkill on a car you just might fold up into a wall next month. You did say your new to 240s and drifting. Not to jinx you of anything but lets be real. Keep it simple.
This is what I would do. Don't get ahead of yourself, you are going to beat the piss out of this motor trying to learn how to drift.
Id save the money to do it all over again. No offense or disrespect but from the voice of experience you may pop it while learning

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”