None of the above

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

I would like to see somebody change the process in elections. We elect people these days more often than not because they are "the lesser of two evils". That is not exactly a mandate from the people guys. We elect people who would likely not make it through an interview for McDonalds drive through night manager without a posse of writers and handlers who make sure they deliver that tag line at the right time, shake the right hand, etc. I don't know who you guys are voting for but I am willing to bet many of you are voting for whoever you are not so much because you are moved by them or inspired of feel they are going to fight and stand for whatever you believe but ratehr that the other guy (or girl) scares the hell out of you. Kind of "the devil you know" sort of thing. I don't think it's right. Politacal apathy is the result of a process that has been hijacked. We don't really have our hands on the reins of power,we punch the card placed in front of us by the elites, get our food pellet and suffer through the resultant administration. Then after that another person comes along and tells us they are different and they can do things the previous person couldn't and we do it all over again. It's bull**** and we need zap, we need a weapon to give the power back to the people. I have a solution and it's pretty simple. None of the above.

Picture this ballot

McCain *Obama(or Clinton) *These candidates suck, none of the above *

I bet a lot of you now armed with an out would rethink the candidate you have in mind now. Think Obama is con-man but McCain makes you meh, None of the above.Think McCain will lead the country further into whatever you dislike about the current administration but Hillary's witchlike cackle makes you uneasy, None of the above.

Only the most dogmatic people vote for the independants. So often they say what some people want to hear but they don't think a vote for them will do much so they vote pachederm or jackass. To vote independent requires two steps.

1. you don't like either of the two large party candidates2. the independant candidate is so strong you think "this might be the year"

None of the above only requires one step and not a hard step either.

We would need to make the nomination procedure much more streamlined and the parties would be forced to create a "bullpen" of backup candidates in case who they put up drops the ball and the other parties candidate is also enough of a dud to render the election statistically invalid. We would also need to change the system that send the candidates to the senate if nobody cracks 50% (I believe that is still the process, somebody correct me if I am wrong) and force a whole new election with replacement candidates lest we get another John Quincy Adams in office.

I want to see candidates sweat. I want them to have to scratch and claw and fight for every single vote. More importantly I want Americans to be enthusiastic about the process, believe it does function and they have options. Just an idea, I think it would work but I am a cynic, I have lost faith in American's will.

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

I can't remember the last time I wanted a candidate. Maybe Bush #1. Since then, it's been the lesser of two evils. There were some good options early on in the primaries, but somehow, some unknown force took the intelligent choices out of the race in favor of the three we now have. I've said it before, I'll end up casting my vote on the strength of the vice president candidate. There is a good chance the VP will become Pres (for the republicans anyway).

themadscientist

I found myself not totally agreeing with but actually enthusiastic about Bill Richardson but I knew he was never going to get the backing of the party elites because he wasn't a kook.

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

I really like Richardson. Too bad he didn't stand a chance. I will be writing you in though Mike. Get ready.

themadscientist

You can be VP. I want DMX as my press secretary though. Think of him at the podium barking at the press

yooouuuknow?

wawazat8402
Car: 89 Sil80- RB25DET

Hahaha, I cant even see a pic of DMX anymore without hearing Kat Williams.

Ive been saying for a while that the citizens need to just stand up and boycott eh polls. It will never happen, but imagine what would happen to the parties if everyone just stood up and said, "no, we are sick of you picking the next President for us. You are not real citizens and thus should have no say in who is elected to govern us."

TMS, even though your suggestion will still never come about, it is more likely than my scenario.

ishkabibble
Car: 1992 NX2000 hardtop, 1993 NX2000 t-top, 1997 Infiniti I30t

I'd rather see political parties disbanded and outlawed.

themadscientist

that would be interesting but parties are a natural evolution in politics. People with like beliefs will be drawn together, organization of a group becomes a nesessity and the party is the result. I think the two main parties have grown septic over time and we are long overdue for a shakeup. Internal dessent and confusion in both parties is encouraging. Were they to fragment there would be an opportunity for new revitalized parties to come into being. Change is a good thing and I think it has been atrificially stunted by concious efforts of power brokers and the general malaise of the American voter.

ishkabibble
Car: 1992 NX2000 hardtop, 1993 NX2000 t-top, 1997 Infiniti I30t

I agree with you, but I'd rather see an amalgam of independent thought instead of groups that play to "bases".

Return to “Politics Etc.”