None "i" smartphones?

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

I think I've finally killed my old BB Curve 8310 (yes, archaic but good lord can it take abuse)

Soooo I'm looking at some of the new android based stuff.

Right now the HTC One X has my attention as it appears to be retarded durable.

Pros and Cons of it?

Durability is a huge factor on my purchase as I'm rough on anything I call mine in this world.

stebo0728
Car: 1993 300ZX, White, T-Top

OtterBox has really taken that aspect off the table. They make a case for most phones now, and they are wicked durable, regardless of the phone's durability. The only thing you have to consider now is Gforce impact resistance, for internal parts, but thats hardly an issue since theres really no moving parts inside the phones anymore.

I have an EVO 3D. HTC makes a beautiful phone all around, most models are well built, and adequately spec'd for their level. HTC also pushes updates quite liberally from my experience. Make sure you get one that will at least support Ice Cream Sandwich, but Jelly Bean compatibility, the newest android release, would be even nicer.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

The One X is fantastic, but be careful which reviews you base your buying decision on. There are two distinct versions of the phone: US and international. We (US, obviously) get dual-core 1.5 GHz Snapdragon S4 processors (a very good, great-performing chip). Non US phones get quad-core Tegra 3, which is pretty much top dog among smart phone processors right now. Benchmarks for the two aren't hugely different, and the S4 actually has some strengths over Tegra 3, but it's still disappointing that the One X we get here is basically just a bigger-screened One S. That said, I own a One S myself and couldn't be happier with its performance.

There are two BIG knocks against the One X. They're the same two problems I have with my One S.
1: NO REMOVABLE FLASH MEMORY. No SD card slot. You're stuck with the 16GB of internal flash space...that's not much.
2: The battery is ALSO not removeable. This is one of my big complaints with the iPhone, and there's no excuse for any phone pulling such stupidity. The One X and One S are both very thin phones (way thinner than an iPhone...my One S looks like you could maybe shave with it) and the non-removable battery contributes to the thinness. But it's not a worthwhile tradeoff. I'd take a couple millimeters in exchange for the ability to swap the battery.

Another thing to consider:
The One X has a Super LCD2 display, while a lot of other high-end phones these days use AMOLED. Both have different strengths (the LCD tends to show better colors but AMOLED has far higher contrast and better blacks) so it's worth deciding whether you have a preference.

Aside from all that, the biggest thing to consider is HTC's Sense overlay. It changes stock Android a lot, and people tend to either love or hate it. I personally hate it. Others don't (usually people who want their phone to be an iPhone, or at least to be shiny like one). If you don't like it, you can install a custom ROM (which you should do anyway if you want to get the most out of your Android phone). But if you're not willing to hack AND you don't like Sense, anything from HTC might not be for you.

Mr1der

ha, I'm not against tearing up new stuff.

I'll be honest, what kind of sold me on it was this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi7zol01j9U[/youtube]

Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

stebo0728 wrote:I have an EVO 3D. HTC makes a beautiful phone all around, most models are well built, and adequately spec'd for their level. HTC also pushes updates quite liberally from my experience. Make sure you get one that will at least support Ice Cream Sandwich, but Jelly Bean compatibility, the newest android release, would be even nicer.
My tablet just upgraded to Jelly Bean and I do not like it. It doesn't recognize a video is playing, so, when watching videos, my screen keeps turning off after 4min. It sucks to have to touch the screen when it dims only for it to pause the video and thus have to be tapped again to play. And for a non-obvious reason why this sucks so bad, it's hard to gently press once at 8pmh on a treadmill...

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Looneybomber wrote:My tablet just upgraded to Jelly Bean and I do not like it. It doesn't recognize a video is playing, so, when watching videos, my screen keeps turning off after 4min. It sucks to have to touch the screen when it dims only for it to pause the video and thus have to be tapped again to play. And for a non-obvious reason why this sucks so bad, it's hard to gently press once at 8pmh on a treadmill...
That's not a Jelly Bean problem. It's a problem with your tablet.

Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

MinisterofDOOM wrote:
Looneybomber wrote:My tablet just upgraded to Jelly Bean and I do not like it. It doesn't recognize a video is playing, so, when watching videos, my screen keeps turning off after 4min. It sucks to have to touch the screen when it dims only for it to pause the video and thus have to be tapped again to play. And for a non-obvious reason why this sucks so bad, it's hard to gently press once at 8pmh on a treadmill...
That's not a Jelly Bean problem. It's a problem with your tablet.
4.0, it worked great. Now that 4.1 is in there, I can't find what setting is changed, so I am going to blame the OS. Yep, it's Google's fault! Play button too hard to press means no video, which means less miles. Thanks Google, I blame my future obesity on you.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Looneybomber wrote:4.0, it worked great. Now that 4.1 is in there, I can't find what setting is changed, so I am going to blame the OS. Yep, it's Google's fault! Play button too hard to press means no video, which means less miles. Thanks Google, I blame my future obesity on you.
The firmware update is not JUST new OS. Remember Android is open source. It's not 4.1 that caused the problem, it's your tablet's manufacturer's firmware update that INCLUDES JB.
It's like Dell selling a PC. It comes with Windows on it, but Windows is not responsible for every single problem the thing might have. Dell can break s*** too...driver compatibilities, bloatware, etc.
Or like like blaming Windows for your CDROM drive not working. It's not Windows' fault. You have a bad CDROM drive.

It could be the video software you're using (maybe the developer needs to join the modern world and support the latest SDK version). Could also be that when Motorola (I'm assuming you have a Xoom for some reason) put together their firmware update they broke something. But it's not Jelly Bean. Because Jelly Bean video works fine. I can attest to this. It is your device. Might be common to your model, but it's your device.

There might even be a setting within the video player program you're using to adjust screen sleep time. Master system screen sleep timer is under Display settings.

Only reason I bother to point this out is that EVERY TIME a new version of Android comes out, bucketloads of threads start popping up everywhere blaming the OS upgrade for problems. It's not the OS. Usually the carrier or manufacturer screwed something up. And usually they release a minor patch shortly after (which does NOT change the OS version). Issues on ONE device after a firmware update are not a valid reason to avoid an OS update.

Back on track, though:
To my knowledge, the One X comes with 4.0 and should get 4.1 shortly. Of course there are bucketloads of relatively stable 4.1 ROMS out there to flash right this second.

Mr1der

well, bit the bullet and ordered one today. Seems ATT decided to cut the price with a new agreement in half last week so it's only $99 now. This made it a much easier decision.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Sweeeet!

Mr1der

yup. We'll see if I can figure out how to use it before I manage to have it smashed into pieces in some sort of fashion.

Mr1der

Well I'm posting on it now and it's survived 3 falls on concrete today. So far I dig it.

Return to “Computers / Electronics”