Non-Navi to Navi install on 02Qx4, will it work?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
leeQX4
Car: 04 I35/03 G35

Hey guys, I need some help. I bought the navigation system for the 02 Qx4 and the bose radio that goes below it from (Ebay). I was told that the 02-03 Qx4s come prewired for navi hookup, the guy was wrong. The bose cassette radio is simple plug and play, I was able to plug it up with no problems and turned it on. However, the bad part was the Navi screen itself. After unplugging my climate control, I thought it would be able to plug into the navi. I was wrong again. There are no extra wires behind the radio and climate controls that are direct plug-n-play to the navi. Seeing as how, I got the hard part done (getting the navi screen and radio for little of nothing), I can focus on paying whatever it takes to rewire the the existing wires behind the radio and climate controls to get the navi screen to work. Do you think it can be done? any help would be appreciated. And no don't ask me to buy aftermarket navigation systems. I like the look of the factory install. Plus i have the most recent east coast cd (8), so i am dying to get the navi screen to work. Do you guys think the shop manual on the qx4 shows what wires and connecting pieces are missing? If so, I will buy the shop manual and buy the missing parts. If all else fails, i will just put it back on ebay.

NISTECH

This will be costly to convert it. You need the GPS in the dash,you will need to change either the BCM or meter a/c amp since the temp control is through the navi touch screen. oh I think there is more to it though and cant think of it off the top of my head. yes the manual will show you how its all wired but you will need to do some serious cross reference between with and with out. You may ultimatly find you would need the entire main harness under the dash.

How ever I do agree with you I love how that screen is incorperated with many other controls in the car. If I had the money to purchase the nessesary control units and harnesses for it I would also try to get it in the car rather then aftermarket

leeQX4

NISTECH wrote:This will be costly to convert it. You need the GPS in the dash,you will need to change either the BCM or meter a/c amp since the temp control is through the navi touch screen. oh I think there is more to it though and cant think of it off the top of my head. yes the manual will show you how its all wired but you will need to do some serious cross reference between with and with out. You may ultimatly find you would need the entire main harness under the dash.

How ever I do agree with you I love how that screen is incorperated with many other controls in the car. If I had the money to purchase the nessesary control units and harnesses for it I would also try to get it in the car rather then aftermarket

Thanks for replying Nistech. Hey, I have the GPS Antenna, that connects to the navigation system. I also have the antenna connecting peices that connect the truck antenna to the navi antenna. From what i was told, the Navi screen connects to the radio so that voice comes through the speakers. It seems like i a missing:

(1) Wiring for the Navigation connection to radio.(2) The ac wiring/amp to navi unit(3) Wiring to power it up.

If all the parts and wiring cost less than a $1000, than I am game. I plan on keeping the Qx4 for awhile, until infiniti brings out another truck similiar or remake the Qx4. Even if spend a $1000 on getting the navi system to work, I only spent a $1000 on the screen and radio. So at $2000 at the most, I think that's not to expensive to have factory navigation. Plus it's tax refund time :ylsuper

NISTECH

if time permits today I will pull up the 02 Qx4 service manual and see how much difference there is. Thats if I have time. we are very busy right now so my time is constricted.

leeQX4

NISTECH wrote:if time permits today I will pull up the 02 Qx4 service manual and see how much difference there is. Thats if I have time. we are very busy right now so my time is constricted.

Thanks again Nistech! :ylsuper

Any help that you can do, trust me, I will highly appreciate it even if you can steer me in the right direction. If you can help me, I am willing to order all the parts through you with alittle added bonus ;) . I am just pressed to get this navi-system to work. I would really hate to put the screen and radio back on ebay. Plus i can be the first non-navi to navi conversion recorded. hehe!

NISTECH

hey lee I got some possibly good info for you today. I need to load the diagrams up to post them for you. I will do it tonight. I have to go recover a broken saturn though at the moment so it wont be for a couple hours.

NISTECH

Ok my scanner is acting up tonight so I am going to have to try it again in the am. But the gist of it is You can determine if your prewired or not by looking behind the radio/heater control panel for the main wiring harness some where along that harness you should find 2 20 pin connectors taped to the harness one is a gray connector and one is white. they should not be plugged into anything since they are only used for the NAVI display unit. If you have those 2 connectors your vehicle is prewired for NAVI, the FSM does not indicate that there are seperate harnesses so I think you might be in luck. I did however find the original radio and A/C unit will need to be changed and I have basic wiring schmatics for your system verses a car with navi. Once I get them loaded I will post them to this thread.

NISTECH

ok heres the first image. this is your current set up without navi. this is your auto A/C amp. take special note of pin number 8 on the unit. on this unit it goes to something totally different then it does on the navi set up so more connections may be involved. I will need to research that today to determine if it is a different connector or not. I will post the other 3 images I have and report back tonight on the research of the connectors.

NISTECH

Now heres the diag of the NAVI unit. the first one is the basic diagrams like above. the second image is the actual wiring diag for the unit with wires and connectors labeled.

leeQX4

Hey nistech thx for the help man, I highly appreciate it. I have been on a business trip for the last week and haven't had time to post. I almost gave up on the navi conversion I don't have the electrical or techical skill for understanding the wiring schematics.

I will check when I get home to see if those wires are taped up on the main harness. Last time I checked, i didn't see any extra wires. I will look more thoroghly now though.

There are going to be a few major set backs for rewiring. The ac/amp needs to be placed somewhere, and i need costs for it (which i can do). If I do have the correct wiring harness, then I am in luck I will not have to pay 1100 for the main harness. If I don't have it, I will probably stop the conversion process. I will check tonight.

thx man.

NISTECH

too bad you werent closer I wouldnt mind digging into your process to help. As I am curious if it can be done successfully. I have many more wiring diagrams like the one at the bottom for your car not the basic diagrams the other three I posted are. Your A/C amp for the navi would be located at the base of the radio area (under the radio) rather then up top where your current one is.

leeQX4

Nistech, thanks for all that you have done for install however, I think I am going to cancel the process. The navi screen is missing a button (the ac/control that aims the air at the feet and chest). I had no lucking on finding this button, I called my resources and I will have to order the part from xanavi, whom are located in japan. Me being stupid, i wanted to see if the the buttons just pop off so they can be replaced; I ended up breaking another button. Now there are two missing buttons, and the navi screen now looks tacky. Unless i can replace the buttons, this project is dead. What a waste of time and money :( I knew i should have just bought a new set of wheels. :mad:

NISTECH

Lee I am real sorry to hear about the bad luck man.

Scott

leeQX4

NISTECH wrote:Lee I am real sorry to hear about the bad luck man.

Scott

Hey Nistech, I might be in business again, I am talking to a guy who has a new looking Navigation system selling it for very cheap. I know this is getting costly but, I have a friend that is really good with vehicle electrical systems. Now that i have a second car, I can give my truck down time as I work on the conversion. However, before I began, do you have any idea what the AC Amp looks like or the part number? My dealer friend needs parts numbers so I can see how much the cost of this peice is. Also, I read in the navigation owners manual that the system has a vehicle speed sensor built in. Does this mean that the navigation system knows how fast you are going due to satellite tracking or are there wires that are hooked up to the vehicle speed sensor odometer to the navigation system?

Oh one more thing, the ac amp, do you have a picture of what this piece look like? I would like to know how it is connected to the main harness. Are the exsisting wires that go to non navi ac controls just plug into the AC amp and then AC amp plugs into the navi or am I totally off.

Man, I wish I had access or knew someone near me that would let me take their navi dash apart so I can see everything and how the dash is wired. Any of you guys that drive a Navi Qx4 mind taking your dash apart? I have easy to remove instructions to dismantling the navi bezzle and how to unscrew everything. All I need is pictures of the setup and I will be straight. I will even pay for the trouble.

lee

NISTECH

I do not know the part number or have a way of looking it up since we are a nissan dealer only. But we have service manuals for infiniti from 1993 to 2002. thats how I got the diagrams. The a/c amp on a navi system is located at the base of the opening where the radio mounts. It is mearly a square box.

As far as speed it comes from the speedo[unified meter] If you look at the diagram pin 14 on the navi display unit is where your speed input is.

The plugs are different for navi and non navi a/c units. This is why you need to locate the connectors for the display unit[navi] in the dash taped off to the main harness. If they are not there you will need to aquire the main dash harness as well for a navi system.

NISTECH

hey lee check this out if he's willing maybe you guys can work this out in both your favor.

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....02728

leeQX4

NISTECH wrote:hey lee check this out if he's willing maybe you guys can work this out in both your favor.

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....02728

Thanks Nistech, I am replying to him now! :ylsuper I hope he is serious. :D

AlabamaDan
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70
1998 Infiniti QX4

How did this work out or are you still working on it? I'd like to do this to my 98 QX4. Can you post some pics?

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”