noisy engine

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
mark_s13
Car: cars and motorcross

I bought a 200sx with a ca18det engine. At first the engine sounds fine. but when i rev it to 2500rpm there is a ratteling (knocking) noise coming out of it. Any idee's what may cause this sound

paul_s13

Sounds like the dreaded big end bearing rattle. :(

mark_s13
Car: cars and motorcross

I just removed the engine and inspected the crank an rods. There is a bad bearing but the crank seems oke to me. I was wondering what's the best way to fix this. Should i just replace the bearing our rebuild shortblock. The engine has 110.000 miles on it.

p.s. Any info where i can get parts in europe would be nice.

paul_s13

A bottom end rebuild would be best, also you should have the crank measured, journals maybe tapered so a regrind maybe in order, and if you have the crank out then you might aswell do the rings too.

Norris designs do a set of rings for about £40 and they do international orders too.

http://www.norrisdesigns.com

As for bearings and automotive engineering firm will be able to supply them, I found that Nissan often sell them cheaper than pattern parts!

driftitsideways
Car: surfing,drifting,rally

chezina

Hi here's another source for S13 Parts in Europe( Belgium)www.kempower.be They basically sell the same stuff as NorrisDesigns and do also custom engine preparation in general.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”