Noise will not go away, all new front end HELP!!!!!!pls

General discussion area for the L30-chassis Altima
KAkid01
Car: 2001 Altima KA24DE, 300,xxx miles an counting. daily driven and just starting to get into the performance side of things new to the nissan world.

2001 altima has some kind of road noise, i would describe it as more of a shutter/chatter rather than a vibration or wobble. I have replaced everything it will not go away and iv read a couple articles of guys who had their cars in the nissan shop repeatedly with no resolve to the issue. so my question is, has anyone ran across something like this ??? are the cv axles unbalanced or maybe a rotor ? secondly, is there an aftermarket sub-frame or possible tubler lower control arm solution? whatever it is its rotational it starts at 25mph and continues all the way to 100mph but it seems to disapate at higher speeds. is the whole front end out of whack ? love my car but its about to get canned ........Suspension/front end gurus needed !any info or thoughts would be greatly appriciated.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

If it's rotational I would not expect anything that doesn't rotate to be the cause, ie, control arms an subframe and your description backs that up further with no wobbling. Bad parts there would definitely cause wobbling and slop in the steering. I'm sure CV axles are balanceable, but I have never done it nor heard anyone request it. The small diameter means there is not that much force acting on them if they are straight and lubed but out of balance.

Are there any parts in the front suspension very close to each other where they might contact each other under the load of acceleration? It takes a certain speed to induce the sound so maybe the shift in the suspension brings parts into very light contact. Look for any spots where something looked like it touched something.

Rotors would present with pedal pulsation. I have seen poorly designed rotors that warped quickly which is what i would expect with a commonly reported problem, but you mention no strange pedal feeling or noticeable wobble so that doesn't seem to be the case. Similarly, an out of balance wheel would provide more drama than you describe.

Have you checked the transmission? There's no vibration, but there is noise; maybe it's the other end of the axles where the noise is coming from. See if there are any service bulletins on the transmission like a bad bearing or something.

KAkid01
Car: 2001 Altima KA24DE, 300,xxx miles an counting. daily driven and just starting to get into the performance side of things new to the nissan world.

I am left to believe that is the culprit.or start designing tubular front member,mounts ect..do you knw the process of changing the bearing well by chance ? Thanks for the reply!

Timothy S
Car: 1998 Nissan Altima GXE, Auto RE4FO4A, KA24DE Engine

I had continental tires on my Altima that were noisy. Did the problem start when you bought tires? Many shops will balance the tires for the $21 rotation price.

KAkid01

I noticed a difference after the new tires kumho 17x8.5 but it gradually got louder and louder. I'm leaning toward motor mounts or trans bearing. Not finding much on reasonable aftermarket mounts tho ...

Return to “2nd Generation Altima Sedan (1998-2001)”