No transmission dipstick for the m37 ?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Lo m37s
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37s

My 2011 m37s seems to have a small kick when the transmission downshifts while breaking.

My car has 175000km on it, and I’m thinking transmutation fluid might need to be changed but I can’t find the dipstick.

How can I check the fluid ?

EdBwoy

There isn't a nice, easy way to check your fluid unfortunately. You have to access the underside of the vehicle to remove the fill plug on the side of the transmission housing.

If you feel inclined to do it, I'll post some general instructions for dipstick-less systems like these below. You can get the model-specific instructions from the service manual.
However, it might be worth the money to go to a dealership to ask if your car is eligible for any service campaigns such as a TCM (transmission control module) reflash.
Also get a quote for them to do a trans fluid service. The typical cost reported in the US is around $300. I am a hardcore DIY person, but when it comes to the tranny, I prefer the dealer to do it.
EdBwoy wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:00 am
My experience with "sealed for life" transmissions is that they just mean you shouldn't have to go checking your oil levels often unless there's a leak or something. Honestly, how often do people check their trans dipsticks?

As much as the new units come without a dipstick, you can still fill them through an access hole on the side of the trans body - like a diff fill plug. The bottom of this hole usually corresponds to the max level of oil at a certain temperature. I did it on a Jaguar XJ8 with the 6 speed after replacing a transmission pan gasket. It's a delicate dance, yet very basic.
Here is the gist of it:
  1. With the car off, most of the fluid is in the main trans body. When the engine is running, a good portion of it goes to the torque converter.
  2. Trans fluid will expand when heated.
  3. Just like a "conventional" trans, the level is best checked with the engine running and oil at operating temp.
    I'll reference 140 degrees F for the sake of simplicity.
Have the car level, accessible, safe, stable etc.
  1. With the engine running and the fluid at 140F, open the fill port plug. You should feel the oil if you stick your finger there as it should be just below the circle.
    • If it gushes out, it was excessive. Likewise, if it is way below the hole, it needs to be topped off.
  2. Use a pump (or gravity feed if you have access for it) to fill the port while the car is running until it trickles out of the hole.
  3. Secure the plug back on before you shut the car off [remember point A above?]
  4. Let it cool down again, and run the car until the trans fluid is 140F, then repeat #1 to check the correct level.
If you are doing a drain and fill for whatever reason, then just like a differential, I'd recommend you try to open the fill port first [remember it's best done with the car running in this case], then shut it off, and drain the fluid from the bottom.
  1. With the engine off, open the fill port to the now "empty" trans and fill it with the correct fluid until it trickles from the hole.
  2. Now you're ready to start the car again.
    [I'd say keep the fill port open, remember point A above]
  3. The level drastically drops at the trans body, so you need to have a way to replenish the fluid fast through the fill port until it drips again.
  4. ... pick up from #1 above where you are dancing around trying to achieve perfect drip at 140 deg F.
    If the trans fluid temp exceeds 150 deg F, turn off the car and let it cool down.

Now. your head is probably spinning after reading all that, and you would much rather be showing houses than looking at the underbelly of your car for a good part of your Saturday, right? The other forum had a lot of info from factory techs and enough people had issues to address, and so write ups existed - a phenomenon we don't have on the forum here.
This is what I would do:
  • First thing is to check with the dealer to see if there are any service bulletins that would address your transmission behavior.
  • Whether there is one or not, consider asking how much it would cost to reflash your trans computer anyway.
  • Get a quote on changing the fluid as well, to see if it's worth your effort to DIY.
I'd say no. These guys are paying under $300 at the dealership: m37-m56-transmission-fluid-change-interval-t585647.html
Still motivated? Check the factory service manual HERE, section ATC especially for their recommended procedure.

ArmedAviator
Car: 2012 M37x

This is one of only two services I leave to the dealershop, the other being 3-wheel alignment.

It cost me abour $300 in Ohio. I have no record of it being changed before I bought it with 83k miles. I am planning on getting it changed, and doing all the other fluid changes myself at 120k, or about 4 years time.

mikedamageinc
Car: 2012 M37x Touring
1999 Camaro SS
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser
2008 Yukon Denali

This is one service I leave for the dealer as well, and I do everything myself. I almost bought the piece that fits in the pan but at the end of the day it's not worth the time and gamble. The fluid has to be the right temp, vehicle perfectly level. My dealer charged me around 250 in Virginia Beach (Priority). I figure the fluid was at least 100 already so the time and knowing it is done is worth the rest.

The dealer in Richmond (Pearson) did a great job on the wheel/tire balance too. Apparently they position the tire at the optimal position on the wheel blah blah blah. I thought he was just trying to sound fancy but my car smoother than I've ever felt after that.

Dark_Knight
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70 3.7 AWD
2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD

Lo m37s wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:45 pm
My car has 175000km on it, and I’m thinking transmutation fluid might need to be changed but I can’t find the dipstick.

How can I check the fluid ?
The problem is that the car doesn't have transmutation fluid :biggrin:

Lo m37s
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37s

Thanks a lot for all of your guys help, I’ve just decided to let the dealer to the transmission check up and see if they can reflash the trans computer or if I if that’s what needs to be done in my case.

Malbec 56 Beast
Car: 2013 Infiniti M66xS Totaled 4/11/20
What's next???
2010 Subaru Legacy
1983 Porsche 928 S Euro (Sold) 2/17/20

I bought Amsoil and then asked both Infiniti and Nissan for a cost, Nissan killed them in price.

The Nissan master tech had to get the infiniti fill tool but there is more to it then just replace the fluid.

Runs like a champ

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”