NO START

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
craigztoyz
Car: lots of unique hot rods, and customs, with modern engines, and a good truck to pull the trailer.

OK, Got a Question. I think It was T45 who had this problem, not 100% sure.

I now have no ECU working. Turn on key, no pump, no coil power, no inj pulse under crank (noid lights), No power to orange pump wire.Cranks over great, just like it did when it fired up.I took out computer and a lot of its wiring last night F'n with stuff, and also had about everything else that could be the culprit out, or moved.

Things to test-

power from relays to ecu, grounds, ecu grounded,test for crank signal from ignition.

thanx, craig

craigztoyz
Car: lots of unique hot rods, and customs, with modern engines, and a good truck to pull the trailer.

Ok, It was T Morgan, Sorry.

I searched his posts, and found his no start. I tried what he did. And here is the new info.

I have spark, and started it with start fluid.

I have injector power, test light.

Power at white/black wire in ecu harness at relay box, others dont, need to see which at to, and which are not. Thanx Nick for the Spreedsheet looking so good, makes this easier.

Still no fuel pump power, but that goes through the ecu, to fuel relay.

npez
Car: 1993 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (soon 2B twin-turbo 450ZX) 2002 BMW M3 2008 Honda Odyssey Touring (Mama)

craigztoyz wrote:Ok, It was T Morgan, Sorry.

I searched his posts, and found his no start. I tried what he did. And here is the new info.

Power at white/black wire in ecu harness at relay box, others dont, need to see which at to, and which are not. Thanx Nick for the Spreedsheet looking so good, makes this easier.

Craig,

You're welcome, I'm back at home so I'll give you a call. If you're referring to the thick orange wire on the footwell connector, that wire is IACV power (I had actually traced it through my factory harness) so it's not used.

I would start off with taking your Black/Pink wire in the footwell, and take this to a good ground. If you can hear the pump kick on or the relay closes then the problem is there. If it doesn't, pull the fuel pump relay and check for coil power as well as power to the "feed" side of the relay. The other contact is the one going to the fuel pump itself. If you have no power to any of these then the problem is there.....

Give me a call (I left you a VM message in the meantime) and we can go through it.....

Thanks,Nick.

tmorgan4
Car: 2000 Pathfinder

This does sound exactly like my problem...frustrating isn't it?

The difference between mine and yours is that my fuel pump turned on, but the old fuel pressure regulator was clogged which made the fuel pressure in the lines WAY to high. So high that I think it was keeping the injectors completely closed. New pressure regulator and it started great.

I've also got a few suggestions depending on your setup. It sounds like the ECU itself is actually turning on...right? Just want to make sure since some of the things you mentioned (injector power, starter cranking) would still be there even if the ECU isn't turning on depending on how things are wired.

Did you replace the fuel pump? Did you modify any of the factory fuel pump relay or fuel pump wiring?Is the fuel pump the ONLY thing that isn't coming on (everything else is working as far as you can tell?)

I believe that the ECU grounds the fuel pump relay but don't quote me on that. If this is the case, hook a voltmeter up to the positive battery terminal and the "fuel pump relay" output of the ECU. Turning the key on should give you battery voltage for 5 seconds until it shuts the pump off.

Depending on whether you are getting this signal or not will tell us a lot. I will check back in the morning!

EDIT: Re-read the first post and realized that it isn't only the fuel pump. Definitely sounds like something isn't right. Does the red LED come on in the ECU when you turn the key on? I have a spare ECU if you want to try another.

tmorgan4

Updates?

craigztoyz

I have ecu out, and wiring, checking it all out, and thinking through it. I am not sure if ECu is turning on or not.

I can get it to start on ether spray, but thats it. Fuel pump is now shot, wont turn on when jumping it, so need info on the Walbro unit please.

I used a test light already on the fuel pump lead. It does not work, I did jump it to ground to trigger it, and had no pump on, even with power on white and orange wire(at connector) 2 other wires at the Z32 fuel pump connection of question are a thin orange and a thin blue. One is fuel gauge, is other fuel light?

I bypassed the fuel pump controller by connecting white,and oranges together there.

Things that work-all the car's b.s- lights, horn, stereo, fan....power at injectors, and coils, power at all ign hot and batt hot leads to ecu, start signal to ecu works, power at cas (do I know it works from the firing of cylinders?) How do the coils know when to fire? I assume not through ecu.

I am doing a few mods to my harness to make it fit better, and go in and out quickly and easily.

I wonder if I have no pulse due to no fuel presssure. I had it run before on a holey pump in a truck tank.

But ecu is not turning on trigger to fuel relay, and not to the coil/eccs relay. In Z32 it is a small orange wire at relay connector, and if I trigger it, then power to the idiot lights, and the car fires. Without, I forget, but think it did not. Late, been in wiring harness and long a$$ allstar game. bottom of the 15th right now.

tmorgan4

When I wired mine up I couldn't figure out whether the ECU was turning on or not. Turns out every wire I had labeled as a ground was actually 12V. The little red LED should be on all the time (when the ECU is on).

Does yours come on?

craigztoyz

Sorry, no internet access, have to go somewhere to get online at moment. P.I.T.A.

The light comes on whith ign on, during start, turns off, coems back on, a second or so after I stop cranking. Ordered 255 fuel pump, and hope that helps, well mine is dead, so that is needed either way.

Q of the day-

Will the fuel injectors fire without fuel pressure?

I can't get mine my noid lights to light up, at all. I also only have the fuel relay triggering when in start, not ign on?????????? that one has me confused. The fuel relay trigger(b/p) is tied in @ footwell, and relay connection. Nick has listed two wires at relay connector for variable, since I did not have that, I had a b/p there, so tied in to it too, Well, now the relay triggers, but only in start, 1/2 way there.Yesterday, had it running for a minute or more, on ether. just under half throttle, shooting a full stream in , and it sounded quite well.

Thanx craig

craigztoyz

Oh yeah, I found in the wiring, that I had not connected my ground, at the footwell connector, so made 2 and grounded them out.

craigztoyz

One last Q,

How can I run the codes? I have the consult wires in a seperate loom from the harness, so I could put a plug somewhere convienent, no plug on it though, I can use the light on computer right? how? thanx guys, trying to figure out why I have no injector pulse.

craigztoyz

Injectors are working now(noid lights)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Redid all the grounds, t'd in to them and added an extra ground, and that did it.

Pump comes in tomorrow or mopnday, so .... tick tock, tick tock.

Mooseboy240
Car: Working on fd3s with ca18det(<crazy)
240sx shell (<next)
ford ranger 4x4 (<parts mover)

craigztoyz wrote:Ok, It was T Morgan, Sorry.

What did he do? which thread is it?

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”