No start no crank soo confused

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
KingLanD
Car: Nissan 240sx s13 1993

:wtf2: So I'm completely new to 240s(any car really), and dont really have anyone mechanically inclined to help me out... But basically my 1993 s13 wont crank or start. The power on the inside of the car works, but as soon as I turn the the key all the way over to start it it just kills the power to the inside but my headlights stay on...tried to jump it with cables and still nothing, replaced the terminals for the battery and got a new fuel pump relay, I've tried to push start it as well and it seems like my wheels lock up when I push the clutch in... Ive had quite a few people tel me its not my starter because the starter will usually make any kind of noise even if it is bad...mine doesn't make any at all. So I'm completely lost! I just want to drive this thing! Oh and had a homie helping me at one point and I guess he put the battery in wrong but I checked all my fuses and they are fine, checked for continuity?

macgiver

mac, hearing that the battery was put in wrong could have destroyed what is called a "fusible Link" , a kind of wire-fuse . Sometimes at or near starter , sometimes in the MAIN fuse panel - usually engine compartment. I would research if & where in your car they are (can be more than one,never know) . They look like a melted wire - because that's what they are.When they "blow" they frizzle-frazzle-burned :lolling:
You should get that out of the way first- whether any links are blown , come on back we take it from there.

KingLanD

I will check it out! Thanks mac!

macgiver

mac , hey KingLanD - I forgot to mention how some fusible links may have a case , a "housing" , or whatever
NOT SIMPLY LOOKING like a plain WIRE,like they maybe bolted across terminals or many times "moulded " & part of the END of a cable - terminating in an "Eye" terminal @ the starter. All types out there -good luck. :gapteeth:

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Good luck, only the incompetent put batteries in backwards, the best way to blow out electronics there is. Fuses don't blow there, the current runs backwards and a fuse or link will flow either way. If the ECM is now toast you can give up. Need to tie that homie up to keep him away from cars.

Remove the battery and get it checked at a parts store by loadtesting (often for free), wasting all that time with likely a simple problem and trying to make it much worse with what is getting done there. Use better jumper cables, the cheap ones everybody uses now will not jump cars off at all, I used to sell them. The lowest line of battery cables sold now are a scam, they won't start ANYTHING, although I did get a riding mower jumped off with them once.

KingLanD

:werd: Alright so I checked out the fusible links with a volt meter for continuity and all of them checked out and I also rechecked all my fuses still nothing happens

KingLanD

Amc, my ecu is fine found out on youtube how to self diagnose it and it gave me one error code, fixed the issue and now theres no error codes and seems fine to my knowledge atleast and yes he hasnt been near my car since haha

KingLanD

Okay so I connected a wire going from my battery to straight to my starter to see what would happen and the result was that it sounds like my starter is just free spinning so my solenoid must be bad right? Also why is that when I connect the wire my starter attempts to work but without the wire it does nothing of the sort? Some one help me😭

macgiver

mac, It sounds like you did "in one step" - a wire (from battery) to starter - that won't engage the starter,like as to "simulate starting with the key".Because you got the starter motor "freewheeling" , you say , you don't say the solenoid "clicked" .The ONLY thing you did was put battery power DIRECTLY to STARTERS MOTOR "LUG" that is AFTER the solenoid. 1) Because IF you put it on the "First" solenoid HIGH CURRENT LUG at TOP - the ONLY way starter motor can POSSIBLY turn,freewheel -whatever- is with the solenoid WORKNG & pushng PLUNGER ACROSS those two HIGH CURRENT LUGS ! It is actually a TWO STEP process to "test jump the way you intend. 1st you put a heavy cable from battery to TOP SOLENOID LUG , 2nd you "Jump" from THAT top lug to the LITTLE SCREW TERM. (ign. lug) on solenoid - this shifts solenoid over to mash the gear into flywheel , while AT THE SAME TIME CONNECTING HIGH CURRENT BATTERY + to the LOWER LUG ( or motor winding) to TURN NOW !!! :rotfl
    So I believe you did the wrong way to jump , try to get a good semblance of this and picture where your putting your wires , make sure you do understand the difference here or ask someone there - "Live & in color" . :yesnod
    A good idea would be to watch AND ask any questions while like an Autozone counterman tests a starter in front of you - AFTER SHOWING THEM MY INSTRUCTIONS/& LOGIC here . :lolling:

KingLanD

Okay so we have the bigger wire that goes from the battery + to the starter, which would be the left bolt, and then we have the one next to it which goes straight from that bolt to the starter motor right? Then above those is a little wire that, I think is the solenoid wire, grounds to body of the car right? So how do I make that "jump" to make the solenoid work? I hope that made any kind of sense :laugh:

macgiver

mac, This is what's best for you - like I said goto parts store , who will test a starter for YOUR car IN FRONT OF YOU,GET IT (after all your testing you say needs solenoid? on the starter?) . Have them SHOW & ANSWER ALL those questions . Go to your car with this "live " new on the job knowledge - jump your car - it either needs the newly bought starter or not . If not -those stores will take a starter back. :yesnod

KingLanD

Okay I will do that! But it still doesnt explain why my starter wont even try to work when I turn the key to the "start" position. All my lights work but once I turn the key everything but my headlights turn off. Any clues on why thats happening? Tha ks for the help mac

macgiver

mac,hate to say that how a previous poster put it - that the cable "reversal" may have done some difficult to find damage. But eliminating the starter / solenoid question is not a bad start , in getting to know that part of the system , and then moving on "up the chain" .
    TIP : Whenever jumper cables are "in the process" of being connected , DO NOT HAVE KEYS in AND in "RUN".BIG SPARKS tell you it's WRONG.And while most of the critical electronics have internal reverse polarity -diode- protections , "EVERYTHING OFF" is the safest "STATE" to connect from !! :lolling:
    And the last connection you make ,to a 'Block" should be lightly "Tick touched" to SEE any "Fireworks" or if backwrds!

KingLanD

Okay so now my right blinker won't turn off and also I turns in the back but on the left side havent seen anything on the forums about that issue... I was reading that it could be because of the wrong bulb but it didnt start doing that till yesterday...

amc49
    '17 Nissan Altima

OP can continue until hell freezes over and not fix the car if that battery has NOT BEEN TESTED and I mean a LOADTEST at correct CCA. Already been told once and running around like chicken with head chopped off. Freakin' lemmingworld.......

'All my lights work but once I turn the key everything but my headlights turn off.'

Every battery on the planet will do that once run down or dead. Dash lights don't pull spit but the starter when switched on uses 100X the power the other things do and that load is what kills the headlights or other lights at that time. May well be your sudden blinker issue too, low battery does not put out enough amp to drive the flasher.

TEST THAT BATTERY!!!!!! Step #1 then move forward.

FYI, post #9 is correct, the starter was nudged likely using the wrong power point there, there are often 3, 2 big and 1 small. OP was supposed to be on the small one but sounds like was on one of the big ones.

KingLanD

So just checked both the starter and battery and both are good the guy at AutoZone said its possible my ignition switch is bad...forgot to mention that it sat for a while, it was an automatic that got swapped to stick, because it sat the steering wheel got stock and I tried to jiggle it loose but nothing worked so I was tapping on it with a hammer in order for it to become loose....

amc49
    '17 Nissan Altima

I for one am done here...............OP is shooting himself in the face, there being no real cure for that.

'...it was an automatic that got swapped to stick...'

Way too late to be saying that now. And beating on things like his homie would.

Luck bro, 'cause the skills are not there.

KingLanD

Well thats alright lol you're right the skills are not there... Thats why I am here...... And I wasnt beating it 😂 youtube and other forums are the ones that said if I can't jiggle loose then to tap it with a hammer.... So that's what I did.....

PapaSmurf2k3
    Site Admin
    Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Have you replaced the starter relay yet?

KingLanD

Well I got it started, pretty sure its my ignition switch... But I'm still in need of help lol I'm still having the blinker issue

KingLanD

Well figured out what was up the blinker .....my hazards were just stuck on lol

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”