No Spark

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Gemmer
Car: 1964 Datsun PU 320

Started my 320 yesterday, pulled it out of the garage and left it running to warm it up. When I came out of the house about 5 min. later it had died. Tried to re-sart in vain. After checking, determined I was not getting spark. Trying to trouble shoot. Can't remember how to check the coil or how to determine if the capacitors are working (one at the coil and the other in the distributor) . Not even sure if there is current to the coil. Suggestions?

Li'l Truckie
Car: 3 x '65 PL 320
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '62 PL 320 - parts :(
1 x '60 PLG-222
and many more Datsuns from 48hp to over 500hp

Gemmer,

I had the same type issue on my '64. The coil wire on the distributor was not proper attached in the cap. The grounding screw was not in contact with the copper core of the lead coming from the coil. So no current beyond this point and therefore no spark to any of the four cylinders.

In your case I would start from the battery to the fuse box - power yes/no
Then fuse box to coil - power yes/no
Check the coil wire to the distributor cap spring loaded contact - power yes/no
From here check the ground contacts and insulators on/in the distributor - your power wires could be shorting out on the body of the distributor and therefore not current to the points, rotor, cap, wire leads and spark plugs. If you have that 1 1/2 inch ground wire (not really needed) it might have come into contact with a power source in the distributor and is now acting as a ground and therefore not electricity to point, rotor, cap, spark plug leads and spark plugs.

From your description sounds like your problem is between the coil and distributor - I know stating the obvious you already know.

Andy

Return to “Datsun 320”