no spark on 1 cylinder

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
ryanssx
Car: 93' hatch
13' wrx

I have been talking to Dee about this for little while now, and he has been a huge help, but I'm sure he is busy and I feel like I'm starting to bother him haha. Wanted to see if anyone else can think of anything I've missed before I decide to buy a harness from WS.

I have no spark on cyl #1, and I am positive it is no spark, injector is firing.
-Move coils and still no spark, every coil works on all other cyl, but none on cyl 1.
-Dee tested ecu and igniter which both were good.
-12v at coil connector
-Ground at connector good, have even tried grounding that coil directly to make sure
-tested for short to ground and power which there is neither.
-replaced wire from coil subharness to igniter(red/blue wire)
-replaced wire from igniter to ecu.(red/blue wire to pin 11 on ecu) When I say replace I mean cut wire before connector and soldered there, don't have new terminals to do it right way, but should still eliminate broken wire if there was one even though there was always continuity when tested.
-Checked all connectors, terminals all look good and drag tested good.

the only things left that I can think of that I haven't tried yet are, connect 12v wire directly to 12v source, replace wire in the subharness, bypass subharness connector and directly wire to igniter. I have a feeling it will end up being something really simple and I somehow overlooked it. So I appreciate any input

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

Hey Man,

If you want to, just send me the harness and I'll dry test for you. And if it shows any issues, I'll square it away for you. Like I said, your electronics are fine, but those harnesses go through some butchery in their lives and there's no telling where your harness is at. Most importantly, you're not bothering me at all, man. I do get busy doing other things, but with your patience, I'll eventually jump in and render assistance when I can.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

It sounds like you've eliminated all of the hardware, so it HAS to be a harness issue.

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

Update: So he purchased a wiring specialties harness, installed it and is still having the same issue (No life on cylinder 1). His ecu has no codes, so it's hard to point it at one thing in particular. Different ecu, igniter, injector, harness and still the same dead cylinder. The one thing was left untouched is the crank angle sensor. He says it rotates smoothly and when dry tested, it sparks and fuels the other 3 cylinders, but not the #1 cylinder. If I had the car with me, it wouldn't be an issues, but I do not, so we're putting this one on the family. Have at it :)

ryanssx
13' wrx

haha thanks dee, actually came came to give an update.

so everything he said. when spinning cas spark goes in the order of 2,3,2,4. The injector on #1 is working, tested with noid light, unplugged all but #1 and it clicks, and the fact the plug was wet when pulled, so that makes the no spark that much more frustrating

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Is 2,3,2,4 a typo? If #2 is actually firing twice like that, it HAS to be an issue with the CAS or the ECU. Something to keep in mind is that the injectors are batch fired during startup and once load gets high. It's only after the engine has started and is idling and is running at part throttle cruising that the injectors are sequentially fired. This means that even if you have a bad CAS providing a bad signal, during startup the ECU is going to fire injectors 1&4 and 2&3 together. The coils are a different story. They're ALWAYS fired sequentially, so if you have a bad CAS signal, you could potentially drop one cylinder and have the coil not fire but still have that injector fire.

This is REALLY looking like a bad CAS or a CAS wiring issue. The fact that the harness has been replaced and the issue persists basically isolates the issue to a bad CAS.

ryanssx
13' wrx

no 2,3,2,4 is not a typo. Spinning cas by hand, it never has a dead spot as if #1 should fire, just fires #2 every other time.

anyone have a cas laying around they want to sell?

ryanssx
13' wrx

update: got another cas and it fired right up and runs perfect. thanks again dee.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”