No sound from radio

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Mikeymike8319
Car: '07 Infiniti M35

I have a 07 m35 base model. The radio doesnt work all functions except sound works I'm able to change stations , play a CD but have no sound. Yes I have used the search but everything pertains to models with Bose and replacing the amp. I have replace the a/c controls, the faceplate, the ribbon that connects the faceplate and a c controls, the radio and white box attached to it and the navi unit. Please keep help as I dont want to take it to a stealership for them to give me some outlandish reason why I have no sound and a ridiculous price tag to fix it. There is a possibility that I brought bad replacement items as all parts came from salvage yard/junkyard but its unlikely since I replaced everything 3x

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Have you checked fuse #37 in the Fuse & Relay Box? If that's blown or has no power, the Navi and HVAC will still boot up on Ign/Acc power but the amp in the Audio Unit will be dead.

Mikeymike8319

I wish it was as simple as the fuses but I check every last one of them they are all good

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I asked because people often overlook the F&R Box and sometimes don't even know it's there, and especially don't realize there's an audio fuse in it. The audio signal on the M goes from the Navi or AV Control Unit (whichever you have) behind the glove box to the Audio Unit behind the centerstack, then to the Bose and then to the speakers. If they're all replaced then the wiring in one of those places is faulty. I'd start by seeing if you have AC voltage coming out of the Audio Unit to the Bose, you should see a small AC voltage increasing to several volts with the volume cranked up. If there's nothing there then you know the problem is a bad Audio Unit or wiring upstream, if there's voltage then either the Bose is bad or it isn't getting an "on" signal. That will at least tell you what tree you should be barking up.

Mikeymike8319

When I turn the volume knob nothing happens same with the volume button on the steering wheel. Anything that has to do with audio is non functional. ( audio settings, phone settings, tone settings. My car doesnt have the Bose. Is there a built in amp other than the bose

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

On the base system the speakers are driven straight out of the Audio Unit in the centerstack. The audio signals still come from there in a Bose setup, the Audio Unit just serves as a preamp for the Bose. So either way there should be AC voltages coming out of the speaker wires on the Audio Unit, they'd just be weaker in a Bose setup. If you look at the schematic on AV-14, the volume controls all go into the Audio Unit but the display is driven by the Navi or AV Controller, whichever you have. So if the screen is alive but there's no volume bar, it should mean the Audio unit is either dead, asleep (no Acc signal), or has no power. If there is a volume bar then the Audio Unit is alive but either the amp is blown or the Fuse 37 circuit has no power. How did you check your fuses, with a test light or eyeball?

Mikeymike8319

I checked it with a fuse checker. Assuming fuse 37 is getting no power would I be able to jump the fuse with another one. How can the audio unit be dead or asleep if CD player still works. I can still turn on/off radio everything else works but but

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Do you get sound from the CD player, or do you mean it just loads a disk? The mechanism in the CD most likely runs off the logic supply and not the analog supply for the amplifier. The logic supply usually comes from the Acc input. That's why when 37 is blown, usually there's no sound but everything else seems to work. On some Nissans you get a "no audio" message, but not always, and they don't document that stuff in the manual. So I don't know about Infinitis.

One thing that occurred to me overnight is that your new-old Audio Unit may be for a Bose model and not outputting enough power to drive the speakers. Was the part number identical to your original? If not, it's likely it's the wrong unit, because all the other audio options for that MY were Bose. The preamp signals from a Bose driver are very faint because the Bose is doing all the work, so hooking one up directly to speakers will give you little or no output.

Mikeymike8319

I thought all parts were interchangeable. So the a/v unit and radio have to come from a non Bose unit for it to work

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yep. Identical p/n's only, or trouble is almost guaranteed.

Mikeymike8319

That's sucks because finding a unit with nav. and no Bose is kinda difficult. I'm going to check a few salvage yards tomorrow

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The best place is probably eBay, and you'll almost always get the best results googling with the Nissan/Infiniti part number off the unit, not by MMY

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

If the radio is sending out standard signal + ground audio signals for each channel at pre-amp level because it is meant to go into a bose amp, would it be possible to buy a cheap aftermarket car amp on amazon and wire it in and hide it inside the center console and use that as the amp to the speakers?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

EniGmA1987 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:33 pm
If the radio is sending out standard signal + ground audio signals for each channel at pre-amp level because it is meant to go into a bose amp, would it be possible to buy a cheap aftermarket car amp on amazon and wire it in and hide it inside the center console and use that as the amp to the speakers?
Sure. There's nothing special about the Bose amps other than being sturdy and hard to kill. They aren't smart DSP's, just a very high quality standard amplifier.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:14 pm
EniGmA1987 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:33 pm
Sure. There's nothing special about the Bose amps other than being sturdy and hard to kill. They aren't smart DSP's, just a very high quality standard amplifier.
That's good to know. Obviously it is better to get all the right parts, but if the OP cannot find a used radio unit for non-bose and is unwilling to pay a dealer for the right parts then at least it is potentially another option.

Dbarry
Car: Nissan 240SX

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:48 am
I asked because people often overlook the F&R Box and sometimes don't even know it's there, and especially don't realize there's an audio fuse in it. The audio signal on the M goes from the Navi or AV Control Unit (whichever you have) behind the glove box to the Audio Unit behind the centerstack, then to the Bose and then to the speakers. If they're all replaced then the wiring in one of those places is faulty. I'd start by seeing if you have AC voltage coming out of the Audio Unit to the Bose, you should see a small AC voltage increasing to several volts with the volume cranked up. If there's nothing there then you know the problem is a bad Audio Unit or wiring upstream, if there's voltage then either the Bose is bad or it isn't getting an "on" signal. That will at least tell you what tree you should be barking up.
I'm not aware of that F&R box. My aunt's M35 recently lost the sound but the cd still plays.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If I remember right, on an M it should be right in front of the battery.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”