No more Q70 for 2020

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Jfpq70
Car: 2014 Q70

I read there will not be a new Q70 for 2020. Sad, such an underrated car. Hope resale values will not be too badly impacted.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Infiniti played this car all wrong. Tech is from 1995 with a great engine and body. Shame.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Infiniti lost their chances of success when Johan de Nysschen left in 2014 to take over Cadillac at GM. He came from Audi and was hired by Carlos Ghosn (yah, the CEO of Nissan led away ion handcuffs). Johan de Nysschen was the guy who decided to drop all the model names and go to the "Q" lineup that confused the world .... BUT .... In the 2 years of De Nysschen running Infiniti, sales jumped by 30% and broke sales records in the US, Canada, China, and Middle East. Johan de Nysschen was behind the launch of the Q30, the new factories in UK and Mexico, and plans to upgrade the Q70 while creating two even higher tier sedans above the Q70 by the year 2020.
However, de Nysschen ran at odds with "Carlos the thief" every time he tried to grow the Infiniti brand by exceeding the competition, developing new models, and adding new tech to existing models. You will remember Calor Ghosn by his ruination of Renault and the saving of Nissan from the brink of bankruptcy by huge layoffs, and lowering quality in Nissan cars while increasing prices to consumers. With Carlos constantly forcing de Nysschen to roll back his creative, forward moving ideas at Infiniti, it was only a matter of time before de Nysschen found a more promising future. So .... Cadillac, stagnate for years and dropping in sales, offered him a place back in the states and he jumped at the chance.
After de Nysschen left Infiniti, the Q70 was treated to only one cosmetic change and no meaningful upgrades. Also ditched were the plans to create a lineup of sedans to compete realistically with the Germans with technology advancement across the entire lineup. Infiniti went from the M35/45's ahead of their time, to run-o-the-mill expensive cars with lackluster tech and nothing to write home about.
The new kids on the block, he Genesis G70, 80, and 90 are the leaders in quality, reliability, and tech and they remain the only choice for Infiniti lovers who want a car that rivals the Germans, outshines the US, and competes with Lexus at a more reasonable price structure.

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

Larz wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:39 am
After de Nysschen left Infiniti, the Q70 was treated to only one cosmetic change and no meaningful upgrades. Also ditched were the plans to create a lineup of sedans to compete realistically with the Germans with technology advancement across the entire lineup. Infiniti went from the M35/45's ahead of their time, to run-o-the-mill expensive cars with lackluster tech and nothing to write home about.
This article in Jalopnik may shed some light on Infiniti's dire straits:
https://jalopnik.com/infiniti-is-gettin ... 1838822316

They didn't try to innovate and keep up after the success of the G35/G37. When a new Nissan has better tech then your luxo line, there's something wrong. I enjoyed my M37, but I knew it was time to move on.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I'll likely get one more post-facelift Y51 when the time comes for my '11 M56x to give up the ghost, but that may be my last Infiniti sedan. Especially if they go full electric. I want none of that.

GMBQ70
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70 3.7 AWD

Ilya wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:11 pm
Infiniti played this car all wrong. Tech is from 1995 with a great engine and body. Shame.
Agree with this!

kmiles
Car: 2015 Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa Blue
Sold - 2007 M35x

I guess I'm in the optimistic minority - I still love my Q70. When I think of Tech from 1995, Bluetooth had just been invented and didn't appear in cars until much later, hardly anyone had GPS, etc. When you think about 1995 - the hot technologies were things like the Iomega Zip Drive, USB was introduced by Intel that year, DVD's were brand new and Sony introduced the first PlayStation. Granted I don't have a giant touchscreen like a Tesla or Apple CarPlay, but the majority of cars on the market don't have them either. All of my electronics just work and the car is nearly bulletproof when it comes to reliability of the components. I'm more frustrated with my new Apple iPhone 11 Pro and how crappy that works and how buggy it is. Many of my friends that have heads up displays hate them. I seriously wonder how long these massively turbocharged 4 cylinder engines are going to last - lot of massive failures on Audi's and others. I'm not excited about electrification of cars. I'm not a good candidate based on how I use my car. For now, I'm sticking with my Q70, for at least another 5 years. And I'm doing it by choice. I hope Infiniti/Nissan gets their act together . . . soon!

molonlabe
Car: Current: 2015 Q50 Base, 2012 G37X, and a 2014 Honda Odyssey.

Previous: 2016 Q70L, 2015 Q50 Premium, 2017 Q50 Premium, 2018 Q50 Luxe AWD

just got rid of my 2016.. nice car - not to sound aloof, but it was underwhelming.. the same engine as the g37/q50, so-so performance, so-so interior, horrible quality backup camera.. definitely not worth the $57k sticker price (I didn't pay that, I bought it from a dealer's auction). in any case, I can see why they discontinued them - you hardly ever see any Q70's on the road..

that being said - GORGEOUS body!

Ilya

You think the camera on the Q70 is bad? My wife's QX60 camera is virtually useless. It points so far at the ground that I can barely see what I'm about to reverse into. My 2011 Camera is MUCH better and actually shows me stuff above the horizon.

EdBwoy

I'm also disappointed that the model isn't advancing beyond this year. I contend it wasn't the best at any one thing, but has been a darn fine compromise for the things that matter to me - reliability, looks, power, handling + useful and usable tech.

I think they even shut the lights off at the factory. After a constant internal battle, I called my dealer to order a new Q70 in August. They told me they couldn't get me anything in my preferences, even if I put a deposit to order from the factory.
Instead, they offered me a 2018 Q70 that would be retiring from their courtesy car fleet. Now THAT was insulting, considering I was already on the fence about buying a car that is 90% the same as what I have.

barbastard
Car: 2011 M37S

Interesting.

I'm new to infiniti's, having just bought a '11 M37s, but I am a gear head and "car guy". I'm surprised that they're cutting the Q70 as it seems like it fills a pretty big void. Tells me that Nissan doesn't think much of this type of product and that they either can't compete or are putting their efforts somewhere else.

With Camaro's and CTS's being dropped in the next few years there will be less coupes and performance sedans on the market. Makes me that much happier I bought my 2017 Chevy SS when I did!

Larz

Infiniti fail to realize that as other car companies move into all / part electric, the petrol driven sedan will become even more desirable. They can play around with the Q50 or Q60 but if they were to keep the Q70, the US and other competition is voluntarily walking away and leaving a huge hole where good quality petrol sedans used to be. Most US sedans were crap anyway, but with Ford, GM, and Crapsler (chrysler) leaving the sedan segment, it's a no brainer. Keep the Q70, update it to compete with 'zeee Germans' and Bam! Bob's yer uncle! Yet another missed opportunity for Infiniti's due to management that has been a circus these last few years.

M37xfan
Car: Traded in 2012 Infiniti M37x

Larz wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:39 am
..After de Nysschen left Infiniti, the Q70 was treated to only one cosmetic change and no meaningful upgrades. Also ditched were the plans to create a lineup of sedans to compete realistically with the Germans with technology advancement across the entire lineup. Infiniti went from the M35/45's ahead of their time, to run-o-the-mill expensive cars with lackluster tech and nothing to write home about.

The new kids on the block, he Genesis G70, 80, and 90 are the leaders in quality, reliability, and tech and they remain the only choice for Infiniti lovers who want a car that rivals the Germans, outshines the US, and competes with Lexus at a more reasonable price structure.
Because of similar reasons listed above this infiniti lover jumped at a 2016 Jaguar XF S. I never could understand how my wife's '14 Rogue had more tech than the '12 M37x that I traded in....

Larz

ooooOOOOoooooOOo !! The FX-S is a looker AND bloody fast too! The XF is similar in size to the Q50 .... but that's where any similarity ends. Now you have high grade leather surfaces, higher quality interior, much less road noise, and a slew of high tech kit. People will tell you that, as they age, they become money pits. Unfortunately, ANY newer model car will become a money pit as it ages, so don't listen. The only way to escape the high cost of maintaining a newer car is to get a ho-hum car like a Honda or Toyota and they aren't in the same class as Infiniti, Jags, or German cars.

BazookaJoe
Car: 2003 QX4 & a 2016 Q70

Larz wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:03 am
The only way to escape the high cost of maintaining a newer car is to get a ho-hum car like a Honda or Toyota and they aren't in the same class as Infiniti, Jags, or German cars.
I thought that too when I bought my accord. It has 80k miles and burns a quart of oil every 1k miles and it has had a slow PS leak for years and probably needs a new steering rack. I'm looking at a Q70 this weekend mostly because of that 3.7L and she's a beauty.

barbastard
Car: 2011 M37S

BazookaJoe wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:35 am
Larz wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:03 am
The only way to escape the high cost of maintaining a newer car is to get a ho-hum car like a Honda or Toyota and they aren't in the same class as Infiniti, Jags, or German cars.
I thought that too when I bought my accord. It has 80k miles and burns a quart of oil every 1k miles and it has had a slow PS leak for years and probably needs a new steering rack. I'm looking at a Q70 this weekend mostly because of that 3.7L and she's a beauty.
Gonna challenge that thought as well.

I've got over 38k mi on my 2017 Chevy SS and it has been flawless. LS3 purrs like a kitten and has power like a lion and not a single issue anywhere. I think for the most part if you're buying a car with known track record and drive/power train your battle is already 70% of the way won. Bigger wild card now a days, I think, is all the technology everyone seems to crave in their cars. That's the biggest source of warranty and problems. Maybe I'm old school...but I hate and don't even use 85% of the tech that these cars come with. I just recently got my 2011 M37S and I purposely sought out one that did NOT have all the tech packages for this very reason.

BazookaJoe
Car: 2003 QX4 & a 2016 Q70

I couldn't agree more. Maybe it's because I'm 40 years old, but all that extra gadgetry doesn't matter to me. Just extra stuff to break later on and cause frustration.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”