NL320 barn find

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Oregon Jim
Car: 1964 Datsun NL320 pickup

A friend of mine (in Salem, Oregon) has a Datsun NL320 pickup (unibody style) and an extra transmission in his barn. I know that it has been stored there for close to twenty years. I am certain that it is complete, but it has also been in the barn with mice and it is looking shabby. The engine ran when it was put away, and if I remember the story correctly, it drove too, but there was a problem getting it into the reverse gear.

For someone looking for a restoration project, I think this would be a great choice. For someone needing a parts donor, it may be even better.

I haven't looked at the truck in a long time, but I spoke with the owner Ed today and he is looking for a buyer. I won't post his telephone number here, but will provide it to you individually if you are interested in checking out the truck.

Leave a reply and we will figure out a safe way to exchange his number.

I have no connection here except that he and I are friends. Ed is older and does not use the internet, but I will be happy to help.

Oregon Jim

I am certain that this could be purchased for under $800... He has had a $600 offer, but is thinking about it...

waynosworld

Are there any photos you can post?
I actually told someone about it that used to buy a lot of 320s, he thanked me for the link to your post, but didn't post anything to this thread, not sure if he is a member here.
Is the truck straight(dents)?
Are the chrome taillight bezels there and complete(unbroken)?

Oregon Jim

I have to be really honest and tell you that I do not remember too much about it, but I will see if I can get some more info and maybe even some pictures. I THINK the vehicle is totally complete and as I remember it, straight as well. I will call Ed tomorrow morning to see what I can find out for you.

Oregon Jim

I just spoke with Ed... He says the truck is straight and complete with all the lights and bezels. Sometime in the next few days I will take some pictures for you. It may be Monday or Tuesday before I can get pictures, but I will post them ASAP for you.

As a side note, Ed told me that he has a relative nearby (the one that offered $600) that has several of the '64's and 65's that have the separate cab and bed, so this might turn out to be a good lead.

Oregon Jim

I will post two pictures now and more later after Ed has done some cleaning. He would like the truck to look good before he shows it. As far as I can tell, the body is very solid, with one small dent on the right side behind the door. There appears to be some rust on the driver's side floor board. I'll post more in another day or two when I can get back to Ed's place.

waynosworld

I just asked someone if they would be interested in this, and sent them a link to this thread.

Oregon Jim

I took a few more pictures after Ed cleaned up his truck a bit and will share a few below.

Ed gave me permission to post his telephone number, so you may call him with your questions. He has no voice mail, or he doesn't know how it works... just so you know. Here is his number; 503-884-3609. Please call during sensible hours.

I hope the truck finds a good home and that it is just exactly what someone is looking for.

Oregon Jim

Oregon Jim

Oregon Jim

I hope this gives you a pretty good idea of the vehicle condition. I tried to show there is a bit of rust around the rear wheel wells, and all of the other important things.

Again, I wish good luck to the person that gets it.

Jim

Jhogie
Car: 79 kc
70 521

Hey Oregon Jim, I just tried to call Ed but he didn't answer, can you help me connect with him or should I just call again later?

Oregon Jim

I would suggest that the best time to reach Ed would be in the early mornings... maybe between 8-9 am. He stays busy, so be persistent. We are on the west coast (Salem, Oregon), just in case you are in a different time zone...

Good luck!

waynosworld

Oregon Jim wrote:I would suggest that the best time to reach Ed would be in the early mornings... maybe between 8-9 am. He stays busy, so be persistent. We are on the west coast (Salem, Oregon), just in case you are in a different time zone...

Good luck!
He lives close to you.
I hope this truck has a title.

Jhogie
70 521

Thanks for the details on best time to call. I'm just up the road in Eugene so time isn't an issue. I'll call back in the morning

Oregon Jim

I hope you will be happy with the truck... Please do not mention that I hinted at a price for the truck.

Jim

Jhogie
70 521

:ohno: well shoot. He hasn't answered any of my calls. Going straight to voicemail (that's has already been said won't be returned). Either his phone is going off like a pop radio hot line, and he's not answering, or he's not at home.

I hope someone doesn't swoop it on me :nono: , Jim can you contact him for me?

Jhogie
70 521

Jhogie wrote::ohno: well shoot. He hasn't answered any of my calls. Going straight to voicemail (that's has already been said won't be returned). Either his phone is going off like a pop radio hot line, and he's not answering, or he's not at home.

I hope someone doesn't swoop it on me :nono: , Jim can you contact him for me?

Okay. I'm just getting excited. Just talked to Ed

Oregon Jim

I am happy that you were able to reach him. It is all up to you two now.

I will add just one more important note for you. Ed's driveway is not easy to see, and it is easy to drive past. In addition to that, it is located near a curve in the road. I strongly suggest that you scope out the view using Google Earth to locate his home and driveway before you hit the road. It is a place where people often drive too fast, so drive safely!

I think you will love the truck.

Jhogie
70 521

It's in the trailer headed home, thank you Jim for posting it here and thank you wayno for posting it on Ratsun

I'm very happy! Title and keys!

Oregon Jim

That makes me very happy!

I haven't spoken with Ed since I took the pictures, so I was wondering what happened.

I think it is a fine little truck and I hope it exceeds your expectations. Good luck to you!

Return to “Datsun 320”