nl 320, should i go crazy custom or keep it stock?

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
dudespencer

i am purchasing a 320 soon and i can't make up my mind if i should bag it and drop some 20's on and stuff like that or try to keep it all stock. I know that the nl320 is rare so that is why i am contemplating. I like the look of both but i just wanted to find out what you guys think.

stock?
[img]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g251/ ... /64320.jpg[/img]

or custom?

[img]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g251/ ... ront_p.jpg[/img]

notoriginal

Hey man make it your own it doesn't do you anygood if you cant be happy driving it

odpl_beebani

I vote for bagging it, but just make sure you understand exactly how much work it takes for one of these to lay out on 18's in the front and 20's in the back like the blue truck.  I'm currently bagging a nl320, and it's a lot of work to get the front to lay out!

mklotz70

I agree with notoriginal.  Both ways have been done before, so do it the way you want.  Just make sure that if you're going to start cutting into one, you have the time/money/ability/tools to see it through.  You might get a tiny amount of grief for cutting on one, but if you don't finish and then trash it, you'll get hunted down!! :)

If you're going to slam it....get Bee to post a link to the Ratsun thread that has pics of his stub frame......very sweet.

odpl_jukeizm

i say go original i think the truck would be worth more as an investment the only bad thing would be finding all the original stuff just my thought but then again what do i know:dude:

naSTy720

why not mix the two themes?  just do a tasteful combo of the two...

IMH

[user=769]jukeizm[/user] wrote: [quote]i say go original i think the truck would be worth more as an investment the only bad thing would be finding all the original stuff just my thought but then again what do i know:dude:[/quote]
320s suck as an investment.  Do whatever you like with it, it's yours.  I didn't put mine together the was it is for anyone else but me.  Some like it, some don't.  That's life.

LilDat
Car: Datsun NL 320, Datsun U320 (the runchwagon) 1972 Datsun 510 wagon

I say evaluate the condition of what you are working with. If it is in excellent shape, keep it original. If it has mechanical problems or trim pieces missing bag it! Stephen is right, they suck as an investment for now but who knows, with the gas milage they get...... There is something to be said for more modern hardware though.

datsunexcells

dudespencer, LilDat has a good point; STOCK, with all the original parts, gives you a good base for restoration, but CUSTOM, is a more cost effective way to personalize your ride, without going nuts trying to find original parts.  I've easily spent more than the price that I paid for my '71 521 Pick-up, when I bought it over 2 years ago, and I'm not done yet. Compared to most other vintage vehicles, the Datsuns may not seem like a good investment, but I wouldn't trade anything for the looks and reactions from the people who ask about a truck that hasn't been spotted on the roads in this area for upwards of 20 years. My truck, on the outside, is stock, except for the wheels, and the dual exhaust pipes. I'm still planning the fate of my '63 320 Pick-up; with no engine and transmission, I'm considering putting a lot more power under the hood, as well as a suspension and brake system change. The basic look will be recognizable, but performance, both starting and stopping should be much better. John

dat521gatherer

i vote stock. just call me the purest.

Return to “Datsun 320”