Nitrogen in your tires

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
mag318
Car: Nissan Rogue

My dealer just sent me a flyer stating they are now filling tires with Nitrogen for $20. I just took my Rogue in for an oil change (Mobil1) and had them fill my tires with nitrogen. We'll see if it improves mileage at all which on my last trip was 32.4 mpg cruising at 70.Has anyone on the forum heard anything about nitrogen for your tires???

Phil'sFrontier
Car: Nissan Frontier SE kc 4x4

I have read on my Nissan truck forum that Nitrogen filled tires are more stable and the gas won't expand or contract as much as air filled tires. Maybe try google and see what you can find

**edit** I searched 'nitrogen' and found this thread.

http://forums.g35club.org/zerothread?id=332736

Also this is from Wikipedia....

The Earth's atmosphere is a layer of gases surrounding the planet Earth and retained by the Earth's gravity. It contains roughly (by molar content/volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, trace amounts of other gases, and a variable amount (average around 1%) of water vapor. This mixture of gases is commonly known as air.

reefshark
Car: 08 Nissan Rogue SL Venom Red

Well, air is already 79% Nitrogen. I really don't see how replacing that 21% oxygen with nitrogen would really have any effect other than making your wallet a little lighter. Molecularly they are practically the same. I think it is just another way tire sellers are looking to pull in a little more $$. You are better off just making sure your tires are properly inflated, (that is 33psi on the Rogue).

How about trying Helium , nice and light, not reactive at all. It would almost make the car lighter.

SquiggyFreud

My car came with the nitrogen (and blue caps) Salesman said to bring it by to refill them, but did not mention a cost.The only benefit I have read about was what was said earlier...maintains pressure better, does not expand and contract as much.

Roguemonster
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD (Iridium Graphite)

If you buy your future tires at Costco, you get nitrogen at no extra charge.

It's all they put in tires there.

philipa_240sx

It's a convenience:

You can either pay for Nitrogen and check your tire pressure less frequently OR fill your tires with regular compressed air and check them more frequently.

Any fuel benefits are the result of proper tire inflation, not because of the Nitrogen.

cdmuile
Car: Nissan Rogue, Scion tC RS4.0

Hocus pocus (Sp?).......Air is air! Hang on to your wallet or purse or however you carry your coins.

philipa_240sx

Nitrogen was popularized in aircraft tires and auto racing for different reasons:

1) Nitrogen won't support combustion. Very important in aircraft tires should a tire explode.

2) Smaller and more consistent changes in pressure due to temperature. Compressed air contains water vapor and other gases which expand more and at varying rates than nitrogen. This is important in car racing (F1), as even minute pressure changes affect the way a car handles.

Nitrogen has 2 other properties:

1) It's inert and won't degrade (oxidize) rubber and metal. Granted, the outside of the tire is exposed to all the elements, sun, ozone, etc. IMHO, the exterior of the tire will degrade well before it falls apart from the inside.

2) Nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen and the tire will loose less pressure over time. Oxygen molecules are small and actually diffuse through the rubber at a slow rate. Keep in mind that this is only one way a tire loses air. Leaks at the bead and valve stem are another cause and Nitrogen has no benefit there. On average a tire loses 1.5% of it's pressure every month (source : Michelin).

Moral of the story: Inflate your tires to the correct pressure and take the time to check them at least every 2 weeks. Proper tire inflation that is checked frequently will outweigh any of the benefits of nitrogen.

Checking pressure: Use a decent tire pressure gauge. I prefer a dial type. Tire pressure should always be checked when cold i.e. first thing in the morning or 2 hours after the car has been driven. Even a tire sitting in the hot noon day sun should not be checked. Wait until it's cooled off or the car is parked in the shade. Also, don't forget to check your spare tire pressure.

Phil'sFrontier
Car: Nissan Frontier SE kc 4x4

So Phil, after reading your last post; I see Nitrogen has benefits that make it superior than air. Is it worth the price when you can get air for free? Well that is for each person to decide. Is it worth $20......Hhheeeellllllllllllll NNnnnooo! I mean air is already about 80% Nitrogen. I've heard of getting a lifetime tire rotation+nitrogen for a decent price from tire shops.

For me I could spend that money somewhere else, or heck even put it away...lol.I think I will stick with good old 'fresh air'

philipa_240sx

philipa_240sx wrote:Moral of the story: Inflate your tires to the correct pressure and take the time to check them at least every 2 weeks. Proper tire inflation that is checked frequently will outweigh any of the benefits of nitrogen.
That was my point. Compressed air is cheap. Unless you own an F1 race team, a private jet, or just have money to burn...

STEPHENIASROGUE
Car: NISSAN ROGUE AWD FULLY LOADED

The dealership where I bought mine puts Nitrogen in the tires for free. My tires had green caps on them. The dealer said that if I needed to add air or whatever to bring it in and they would fill up the tires for free with Nitro. They had lots of flyers and things all over advertising the Nitrogen.

philipa_240sx

STEPHENIASROGUE wrote:The dealer said that if I needed to add air or whatever to bring it in and they would fill up the tires for free with Nitro.
I hope that is Nitrogen and not Nitrous Oxide! j/k

mstrmstr
Car: Venom Red ROGUE 08...and 4 others

Ive been using nitrogen for over 40 years in my own cars.

I learned that by racing. A stable tire pressure is what it's all about.

Using a TPMS slows the need to physically check pressures.

p.s. the air you breathe is 78.08% nitrogen.

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

I have nitrogen in my tires, some crappy mechanics change them from air: They were the only ones using 100% nitrogen bottle (using a compressor is far to be efficient enough).

Even if the pressure is quite stable, I since notice that I lost some psi, so I would like to fill them up again and even increase the pressure over 40 psi to see if I can have a better fuel mileage.

Do you know if small nitrogen bottles can be bought by individuals, and if yes, where can I find them?

Mainiac
Car: - '08 Rogue SL AWD
+ '11 Rogue SL awd

Yes, you can buy them, check your local welding supply outlet.

Me? I'll stick with the 79% stuff (air).

AceMax
Car: Nissan Rogue

Air contains condensed water which corrodes tires eventually, nitrogen not .

minitrucker

Nitrogen is another way for the delaerships to make money, i doesnt benifit you to get it at all. Like stated before it just doesnt constrict or anything, if you have access to it for free why not put it put it in but my advise do not waste ur money on it. dont do crap for you.

mstrmstr
Car: Venom Red ROGUE 08...and 4 others

Most top of the line installers use Nitrogen as a FREE perk for buying there.

Do some research.. a good aftermarket TPMS shows why- Pressure and temperature vary drastically. In the past not getting the best mileage or tire wear was not at all that important but times have changed, dude.

Average pressure change with air is 4-6 psi and temps at a plus 25 degrees F. Sun warmed tires with air will be unequal by as much too. Using Nitrogen reduced this to minimal numbers which stabilizes tire wear and maximizes mileage. Enough so that it actually pays for itself if you need to buy it!!

Think GREEN since it's YOUR planet and your wallet. Everyone has a opinion and mine was simple economics.

I picked the Rogue and am very happy with it. Mileage actual is 31 highway 24 city for me. Thats OVER the EPA by a huge margin.

Dave B

Modified by mstrmstr at 8:11 AM 10/13/2008

Modified by mstrmstr at 8:12 AM 10/13/2008
Modified by mstrmstr at 8:13 AM 10/13/2008

kg5ie
Car: '08 Rogue

Mine cane with nitrogen for life....the only problem I see with that is having to drive to the dealer to get a fill-up...

SquiggyFreud

Mine came with it as stated above....

If it truly was nitrogen, I say it made no difference whatsoever. I still have to adjust the pressure on my tires just as often as air.

Note for TPMS; Mine came on yesterday in the AM, my lowest tire was 29PSI, filled them all up to 33, light went out in about 5 minutes.

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

SquiggyFreud wrote:Mine came with it as stated above....

If it truly was nitrogen, I say it made no difference whatsoever. I still have to adjust the pressure on my tires just as often as air.
If they deflates the same as air... you just have air in your tires.I got mines with nitrogen (from a bottle) and they barely moved from all summer, and I put them at around 42 psi. I maybe lost 1 psi in more than 3-4 months (because I have to put some air to get them to 42 psi, the mechanic did not want to).

If your dealer use a compressor to get nitrogen instead of a bottle, that could make a difference too: Bottle is 100% when a good up to shape compressor cannot do more than 97%. With the air already in the tire, you will be between 97% and 90-95% nitrogen when inflated.

I got nitrogen with my winter tires (Costco), but from a compressor, so I will see if they lost a bit when I will put them on soon. I got them at max pressure (50 psi on the X-Ice2), so if I have to loose some pressure, it should be now, and it should be only oxygen, not nitrogen, meaning the percentage improves. I will lower the pressure to what I want when I will put them on the car.

Another reason they deflate and your dealer really put nitrogen in it, you may have a slow puncture. Did the deflation come in only one tire or in all 4?

philipa_240sx

Good points Pescakl1. The biggest issue with nitrogen is maintenence. It's not readily available and it's very easy to dilute the nitrogen charge.

chove1437
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Like mostly everyone else, mine came with nitrogen. However, my TPMS light came on so I decided to fill it up with regular air from the local gas station. Didn't realize that the valve was proprietary and couldn't fit with the air pump?Hate that I have to go to the dealer every time but at least its free.

SquiggyFreud

Pescakl1 wrote:
Did the deflation come in only one tire or in all 4?
All tires have lost air, I have to adjust every other fill up.

I know you all get chilly in the north but we go through 40 degree temp swings during the fall here daily, which I know is not nice for tires, but I still expected better from the Nitrogen thing.

Return to “Rogue Forum”