Nissan Versa - Should I replace the Power Steering, Transmission, Differential and Transfer Case Fluid?

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
briannissan
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8L 4 Speed

Nissan Versa - Should I replace the Power Steering, Transmission, Differential and Transfer Case Fluid?

Postby briannissan » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:57 pm

Hello Everybody,

I have a Nissan Versa Hatchback 5 DR 2009 S 1.8 L engine 4 speed (NO CVT) Hatchback with roughly 192 000km. Everything seems like its in working order, no issues.

However, I haven't done any of these fluid replacements or flushes, other than engine oil change, and I did a brake fluid flush at 180 000km, since my front brakes needed to be replaced, but I haven't done following:

Power Steering Fluid
Transmission Fluid
Differential Fluid
Transfer Case Fluid

I checked the transmission fluid, it is off-pink, clear, with like one tiny metal chip per dip (copper like color) and wipe. Not really sure if this is good or bad.

At 180 000km, I had all of this checked at a mechanic (one of those 5 minute oil change guys, though it took like 20 minutes), and he told me everything looks good (he did inspect it), but I am wondering should I replace it or not? Or do a complete flush?

And I assuming the price to do all of this will be a $100 each or so, so like $300-$600.

I want to keep this car as long as possible, so I would like it to last as long as possible.

Is it wise to do this? If so a refill, or a complete flush? And should I just do all of them at the dealership? or at my main mechanic?

Thanks so much

-Brian

2019Versafan
Car: 2019 Versa S

Re: Nissan Versa - Should I replace the Power Steering, Transmission, Differential and Transfer Case Fluid?

Postby 2019Versafan » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:43 pm

Yes, you should always flush and replace all of these fluids on a timely and regular basis. This is crucial of you plan to keep the car for the long term. Competent mechanic should be able to complete this type of work.

2019Versafan
Car: 2019 Versa S

Re: Nissan Versa - Should I replace the Power Steering, Transmission, Differential and Transfer Case Fluid?

Postby 2019Versafan » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:47 pm

You should also add a cooling system flush to your list as well and be sure to have distilled water used for it when combined with the antifreeze. Distilled water doesn't cause the kind of radiator corrosion that using regular water causes so that'll help your radiator last longer.

VStar650CL
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Postby VStar650CL » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:03 pm

Versafan is right about the water, but since Nissan specifies 50-50 coolant, the best way to assure unpolluted stuff is to buy premix 50-50. Never use straight antifreeze, it has crappy heat transfer compared to 50-50 and can actually cook your transmission in hot weather. The tranny and diff are unitized on the 4AT just like the CVT, so when you change one you also change the other. There's no separate diff change.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”