Knock Sensors. The what, where, why & hows...

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
XTERRA03

Hi there how are you

I got a Xterrra 2003 and have both knock sensor and evap codes on ECU

can you please email me the manual to [email protected]. i got 100mb

limit on email

thanks in advance....

hehlen

Hi all,

I recently got codes P0455, P1448, and P0328. I found out that I had a clogged air filter (on my cold air intake system). I cleaned out the air filter thoroughly, disconnected the negative terminal on battery for a few minutes to reset my ECU, and drove the car for ~100 miles. Voila. The "check engine light" went off and all is fine. Saved myself a lot of trouble and $$... Definitely worth a try if you get these codes.

dsmith9
Car: XTerra, Cadillac, Dakota Truck

margarete wrote:We successfully did it today~! Photos too. We went through the front of the engine and reached through. No removing all the gaskets etc.
Margaret - can you send me any details of how you did this. thanks

psychogeist
Car: 2003 nissan xterra sc 3.3 4x2

I have a problem with mine as well it sounds like the main bearings are out.. i had them checked....wasnt them...but i still have a rumble in it could this be the knock sensor

thanks robert

ps would be totally interested in your pdf as well my email is [email protected]

MickeyD
Car: 2000 Xterra 3.3L V6

I am having issues with the Knock sensor on my 2000 Xterra and i was hoping to get those pictures to see how you went through the front of engine... Thank you so much

Camo500EFI
Car: 2002 Xterra 4wd Auto

I'm new here and looking for a little help in locating my Knock Sensor on my 2002 non S/C Xterra. I have the plennum off and still cannot seem to find it. My guess is the code and rugh running only happen when I drive in the rain so it is most likely a bad connection or a corroded wire.

jonyterra90
Car: 2000 nissan xterra 4 wd

hey just recently ran into the knock sensor code too but except for some reason never got a check engine light was wondering if someone had those pictures of how to get to the knock sensor through the front of the engine . thanks

escue
Car: 2000 xterra 3.3L

margarete wrote:We successfully did it today~! Photos too. We went through the front of the engine and reached through. No removing all the gaskets etc.
i have a 2000 xterra could you send me the photos about the knock sensor.

Larry_B
Car: 2000 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info in this thread. My '00 Xterra, 144k miles, has been idling roughly when cold, and also has been getting crummy mileage. No Check Engine light, though.

My mechanic says the codes clearly indicate a failed sensor (no doubt in his mind, and the shop works on lots of Nissans). I'm very pleased with his pricing, since I'd never undertake this myself.

So, while he's in there, are there any nearby maintenance items in the vicinity that he should be taking care of?

Larry_B
Car: 2000 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD

Just got my truck back from the shop yesterday, post knock sensor replacement. The difference is astonishing - the motor runs like it was new. No idea as to why I didn't get a check-engine light, though.

Once again, thanks for the info in this thread.

chuckhumprey

I have the same problem,I thought my know it all friend can do a diy knock sensor replacement at my truck. I'll be sending it off to the shop tomorrow,hope the output would be same as yours. i've been spending a lot for nissan part] lately.

AnthonyS
Car: 2002 Nissan Xterra

If possible, could I get a copy of the PDF file of the FirstGen FSM? I'm possibly looking to do the Intake Manifold Gasket (and KS). Possibly the head gaskets since I'll have it all opened up. Lol

Thanks ;)

SionisPrioratus
Car: 2000 Frontier V6 3.3L Crew Cab / 315,000 miles

Could you please e mail the pics of the knock Sensor to my email address?

[email protected]

Thank you so very much.

SionisPrioratus.

triciah_88
Car: 2000 Nissan Xterra

I have a 2000 nissan xterra tonight on my way home the SES light came on. I got the codes PO325 and PO455. It was raining and I don't hear/see/feel anything diffrent with the car. I don't know much about cars but my dad does. I was hoping we could fix whatever is wrong but after doing some research it looks like the knock sensor is difficult to get to. I was wondering how it worked out for you? I know this is an older post =D

demunz
Car: 2002 nissan xterra s/c

I have a 2002 xterra sc and it get bad mpg as well as lost a ton of power.. i think its the knock sensor or maybe a clogged cat.. I was hoping to get a set of those pics from margarete on the easy knock sensor replace.. please send to [email protected]

demunz
Car: 2002 nissan xterra s/c

I could really use these picture thanks

lildoby
Car: 2002 xterra 3.3 l sc

I have a 2002 xterra 3.3 l super charged I have a check engine light on. When I had I scanned codes said k oak sensor and idle air control valve. But the Vic has no symptoms. No sputter no high rev nothing runs great. Maybe a little loss of power. Should I Change these sensors ? Just need suggestions.

[email protected]
Car: 2002 Xterra V6

Re: 2002 Xterra Knock sensor (Stotz8989)
By [email protected] Jan 20, 2012

Just joined forum and need to replace knock sensor (High End). I read this thread and on wondered if you could send me pictures or a good description of going thru front of engine. I just dropped a grand on replacing the timing belt, water pump and thermostat and could use a cheap way to get to knock sensor

Could you please e mail the pics an easy way to replace the knock Sensor to my email address?
[email protected]

Rev_D21
Car: 1986.5 D21 LB HD 2WD V6 5Speed
1991 D21 Reg 2WD Auto
1995 D21 Reg 2WD 5Spd
1996 D21 Reg 4WD 5Spd
2012 Versa 1.6S 5-Speed

Rather than emailing everyone can you just post any pics for these guys?

PSYCHOTRON
Car: 2002 Nissan Frontier s/c short bed

I have a 2002 s/c frontier crew cab short box, just sent into Nissan because the check engine light was on/blinking when i tried to pass or drove up hills, Thought i needed new plugs but ended up to be knock sensor at least that's what the techs said.
They drove it after replacing the sensor, plugs,wires and same issue is going on. so they told me they talked to someone higher up about it at Nissan and they said to test catalytic converter and they want $900 for a replacement which seems crazy to me but they don't say this WILL fix the issue.
The techs said they did some sort of vacuum test on the Cat and it gave the signal for power loss so hopefully that's the the last issue to fix because i miss my truck lol. He had mentioned that the S/C engines are sensitive to pressure leaks or blockages which would explain the lack of power when i stomp on the gas.
Also if anyone doesn't mind if you have a pdf manual to a 2002 frontier could pm me id be very thankful.
Btw glad i stumbled onto this forum lots of good reads thanks.

[email protected]
Car: 2002 Xterra V6

www.nissanhelp.com had manuals. look under knowledge base heading at the top.

Sure with I could get those pictures of changing the knock sensor thru the from of the engine on my Xterra.

captlynne
Car: 2002 Nissan Xterra

Has anyone tried to by pass the knock sensor relocation as described in the you tube video?

91Path
Car: 2008 BMW 135i, 2008 BMW 128i cabriolet, 1970 Morris Mini Cooper S, 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE

I was going to do the knock sensor relocation on you tube but I could not find a source for the sensor and harness. My Pathfinder has terrible gas mileage. It has the CEL light on with 2 codes one is the knock sensor and the other is for the MAP sensor.

KimHutheson
Car: 2002 Nissan Xterra 4WD

WOW! So much info here I am overwhelmed. Initially my truck was "cutting out" while driving. Went to a local mechanic who ran a diagnostics test. I don't have the code # but it said that some kind of sensor was showing that #4 cylinder was misfiring. So, I put truck in the shop (after driving if for another week and running so bad I got it in) and told him that the miles were coming up for a timing belt replacement, to do that as well and I'd be good to go. Timing belt was replaced with a GATES Brand, and come to find out it was my spark plugs wires throwing fire to the walls of the motor making it misfire and run so bad. New rotor, and distributor cap BUT now the Xterra 2002 4WD idles so rough and is showing a Knock Sensor....grrrrrr.....I've called the Nissan dealer and it could be SEVERAL THINGS CAUSING THIS TO READ....I have loved my truck now for many years but I hate vehicle trouble. ANY IDEAS what could CAUSE this????? Thanks. Having a friend come out today w/ her diagnostic machine and I will post the code.

SUPERBWON
Car: 2000 Infiniti I30

I know one thing for sure thats not even mentioned here and alot of new folks dont know. If you have the S/C (Supercharged) V6 the knock sensor will throw a code/light if you run low octane fuel in them. Also if you get the high octane but its bad or has water in it this will happen. I know some can run low grade without getting a light but most of them will get a light. Depends on how sensitive the sensors /timing setting is. I would fill it with high grade from a different station and drive it around a good while first. Long trips best so it burns crap off 02S too, it throws them for this too.
Ive also read some gas treatments can set it off although I dont know that, never saw it?

fyi: Different but same outcome without a light.
Had a cycle once that lost power really bad. Told my freind "its going to the shop as I checked/changed plugs/filters ect...no luck". He then asked if I was buying gas at the Marathon he worked at, I said yes. He then told me the water level lights at the station on every pump stay on all the time. Said he stopped buying it when he siphoned some from his car to burn brush, it would not light hardly. {thats bad}
I bought my next tank at a local Sonoco and within a mile it was like a new bike and never ran bad again...Some gas stations have old deteriated tanks that allow water in after big rains. Its always possible to have the bad luck of getting it. Also "never" fill from a stations tank while being filled by a tanker. It stirs up all the crap and you'll get it.
Just my nickles worth. Sorry so long,hope it helps.
Non-Supercharged Nissans dont need high octane but still can throw codes just over bad gas.It takes a while to go out too so drive a good bit as long as its still running decent before running to shops.

goldsamu
Car: 2003 V6 Nissan Frontier

Hi I currently own a 2003 Nissan Frontier and took it to the my dealer to get a check engine light looked at and they told me it was the code for a Knock Sensor, and that I had to take it a Nissan Dealer to get it fixed.

After reading through this forum I saw this could be a very costly fix which if at all possible I would like to avoid by doing it myself. But the problem here is I have basically 0 experience as a DIY fixer. Should I not even bother trying to fix this myself? If so could someone point me in the right direction to start a project like this?

I was wondering just how bad it will be to run the truck without fixing this problem for a few weeks. (I am a college student and don't have time and have classes for the next few weeks)

Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks so much!
Last edited by Rogue One on Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Delete duplicate post

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”